Legalities of Umbrella rigs on River?

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

During the BFL’s this year, will the configuration of umbrella rigs be determined by the state the angler is from? I’ve read the MN DNR’s allowable uses and the WI DNR’s as well. In MN you can have four dummy baits and one with a hook, except on a border water you can have two baits with hooks. In Wisconsin you can have three baits with hooks but no dummies, only spinners on remaining arms. What a mess. I can’t wait for frog fishing.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Only if you get caught……

The measure of a man is how he behaves when nobody is looking….

Dog

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

But then again, some of the majorTournament organizers are starting to say no to theses rigs, then won’t matter what state you’re from or licensed in.

Another rule affecting tournaments was posted by Buzz the other day, No off-site weigh-in’s by Mn/DNR

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

In Iowa you can have 2 hooks on a line, I think its been like that forever!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

2 poles and 2 hooks each cuz we need all the help we can get Heck I remember using a crappie rig as a kid that had 4 hooks on it

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

A serious question with a bunch of bull schmitt answers. Oh well, I guess that’s what I should expect on the internet. I just called the DNR and got it taken care of.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

What did they say? I was thinking the same thing the other day.
    Thanks!

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

If you’re from MN and have a Wisco license you can go by their laws or Minnesota’s, whichever you choose. Otherwise if you only have a MN license you need to follow MN rules.

moestavern10
    St. Paul, MN

But if you are on the border of MN/WI, no matter what state you are from, its 2 hooks with dummies… Or am i wrong?

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Not so. Whichever state’s waters you are in, you must follow that states rules…

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

So knowing this has anyone tried this rig with just one hook? Or 2 hooks on the border waters? Could you have the one with the hook on it be back further than the ones without the hooks?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.