Bass through the ice??

• Rick Janssen

I got a hot tip a week ago about a local lake having a hot bite on perch and walleye. I decided to give it a try. I first went up on March 2. I drove up to a young man fishing in the general area of a lot of other people. I had never fished this lake before so I did not know anything about it. I asked him if he had been catching any perch and how deep was the water. He said the WHOLE area was only 4-6 feet deep and he had only caught a few perch because the bass kept hammering him. HMMMMM bass hammering???? I was not sure what to think about his comment as I had not heard of many people catching bass through the ice. I drilled a few holes and checked them out with the Marcum. Yep – 5′. With such a small cone angle at that depth, I just fish the holes and see what happens. Third hole, drop down my little perch jig and WHAM!! I catch a 13″ bass and my little ultra lite pan fish pole is bent in half. I release the fish and drop down and catch another, this one a bit bigger. Time to switch to a stronger pole and line, so I grab my walleye pole that I have not used all year. I put on a bigger flutter spoon and move from hole to hole and catch a few more bass. I decide to try my #5 Rippin Rap. That was the ticket. You can’t do much Ripping in 4′ of water, but that lure produced 15 more bass. The biggest measured 15.5″. What a great day.

I went back on last Friday and tried again. I did not have a much luck as I was having a hard time locating the little patch of weeds I was in last week. Still managed to catch a few. I DID loose my Rippin Rap to something really big. Not sure if a toothy critter got me or what. Finally found the weeds and for the next hour I caught nice gils, two perch, and LOTS of bass. So much fun to catch them through the ice.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0893.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Wish we could still target bass this time of year in MN, would be nice to sneak to river for some brownies it they were in season.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love catching bass on my light crappie rod. Especially when u get in to them like u said. I’ve seen many caught threw the ice that way and its usually sight fishing for me less then 6 ft of water

tim hurley

In clearer water a camera can really shine-you can find the good weeds, see off to the side which is nice because your narrow cone is not telling you much-also bass will come in to look at it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.