bass fishing ???

• Chris Hazen

Hey guys I will be fishing in a bass club this year but buy no means am I a expert in bass fishing. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on different plastics to try and colors that seem to work better then others.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I always liked a white split tail grub behind a spinnerbait.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I don’t know what you throw,but here goes, Colors for clear water natural colors ,watermelon, green pumkin, also black at times, dirty water, black blue, June Bug ,hard baits firetiger ,colors I use all the time Sour Grape ,White,Road Kill,June Bug ,Chartruse Black ,Blue Silver. Swim jigs,Spinner baits ,White ,White chartuse,Junbug,Gil and then intermix trailer colors to suit the fish.
    Stan wave come on open water yay

FryDog62

Hard to beat the legendary 5 inch Yamasenko wacky style for largemouth or smallies. Also like the Rage Tail Smokin’ Rooster Texas rigged for big largemouth in and around moderate weed cover.

mattgroff

What club are u fishing in? Maybe it’s the same one as me.
    Anyway. Depending on how u like to fish if u go shallow go with a Gary Yamamoto purple senko.
    If u like to crank over weeds go with a kvd 1.5 square bill crank bait
    Black and blue or peanut butter and jelly jig.
    Or drop shot with a lake fork ring fry.

Tanner Arndt

By far one of my favorite ways to fish is a flipping jig with a chigger craw and for colors, I like to match the jig to the color of the plastic. When water is clear, a watermelon, camp, or brown seem to do very well. As for dirty water, I like to use a black/blue combos. Hope this helps you in the year to come! Good luck!

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Oh you wanted types of plastics too. Stick baits ,senko ,yum dingers,ect , Beaver type baits, plactic worms ,tube baits, Jigs catch a lot of fish too the trick is to figure out what size the fish want,all the colors listed before.
    Stan

Chris Hazen

The one I am in is bass masters of eau Claire.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure if your fishing as a boater or none boater. If fishing as a none boater from the back of the boat or behind other fishermen try to throw something different than those in front of you. A few options are: in place of a senko’s or stick worm throw a weightless ring fry. In place of a spinnerbaits throw a chatter bait or swim jig.in place of a jig and pig throw a Texas rigged power worm or a drop shot. Another tip I have is to watch your partner to see how he is fishing a bait. A lot of time is is not as much the bait as how it’s being fished. A few techniques I suggest you learn to master as soon as possible is skipping baits and flipping baits. Being able to get a bait into spots others can’t or haven’t will get you a few extra fish missed by others. Good luck on your upcoming tourney season

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Strange that you just asked this…..I just had this conversation with a long time buddy of mine. We both started in bass clubs, RedMan, and other little stuff way…way…way…back then. Anyways, we compared the basics of what we used then to how over-the-top we are now.
    Back then –
    Lizzard Texas rigged
    Culprit worms Texas Rigged
    pre-rigged Kelly worms – split shot on the spinning rod
    Chompers (when they came on the scene) on a stand up jig
    white/gold & black / silver spinner baits
    5″ Kalin grubs on 1/4 oz jig

Norman deep dive crank, rattle traps, and an assortment of square bill baits like Mann’s minus 1, -4, -8

Caught many fish on that short list.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hard to beat the legendary 5 inch Yamasenko wacky style for largemouth or smallies. Also like the Rage Tail Smokin’ Rooster Texas rigged for big largemouth in and around moderate weed cover.

I started fishing a wacky worm last year for Smallies with great success.
    Simple and effective.

FryDog62

“5″ Kalin grubs on 1/4 oz jig”

This is an almost old “classic” by now but maybe still one of the most effective plastics out there. I may have caught more plus-sized smallmouth with that lure than any other over the years and it is still as effective today as it was years ago. Avocado Green. Sometimes simpler is still better ~

BassBuster2

A scrounger head with a fluke really works for me,all the baits above are in my arsenal.I mainly fish smallies on Canadian Shield lakes.
    BB2

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I’m don’t fish for smallmouth very often.

My top plastics are:
    Craw Tubes (Lake Fork Style)
    Swim baits (Mostly Havoc Grass Pigs and HGP Jr’s)
    Zoom Super Flukes (for skipping docks mostly these days) bubble gum color.
    Zoom Horny Toads

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.