Base layer under bibs question

• shockers
    Rochester

I did some searching and found some helpful info from previous threads, but not quite what I’m looking for.

I have a pair of Striker Hardwater bibs. They work great. However, some of the locations I fish require a long walk to get to and I’m working up a pretty good sweat by the time I get there. In addition, I have a pair of Muck books that I like, but they’re a pain to wear with jeans, at least for me.

So I’m curious what others do. I’m leaning toward a pair of high quality (merino wool) base layer pants to just wear under the bibs. I’m pretty tall, so UnderArmour/SmartWool etc. won’t work, and will likely try something from Minus 33 instead. But just curious if guys have done just the base layer approach (meaning that’s all you use under the bibs), and if so, do you go mid weight vs. heavier weight etc?

Once I get to where I need to fish, I quickly cool down so want something that can breath – and keep me warm. Though, to be honest the bibs themselves keep me plenty warm, even with just jeans.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Don’t put your bibs and jacket on until you’re done walking. Lighter boots for the walk is nice too.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I wear a pair of what I think the young kids are calling “joggers.” they are super comfortable and aren’t too tight in the upper legs but start to tighten around the calves which makes it nice for boots. There’s a ton of brands out there to check out.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

I wear joggers, pj pants, or super thin base layer pants (silk/tech weight). My lower half is never cold – wearing jeans would make me sweat and I couldn’t imagine wearing anything warm like merino

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would rock just sweat pants,not really me because I wear Jean’s. But I wouldn’t drop much on base layer for a outer layer. if I get sweaty I zip my hip zippers down and take my coat off. With hip zippers down it cools me off pretty quick. I do this often due to the climate being so warm

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have Predator bibs and I seriously wear mesh gym shorts underneath or I sweat. I haven’t been in any conditions where I’ve been cold yet. That’s down to -10 fishing all day. Super comfortable too.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Don’t put your bibs and jacket on until you’re done walking.

This is what I do as well. I wear light weight pants with almost no insulation when walking out.

skfishing16

I usually wear my bibs with jeans underneath on the walk out. I dress down on top depending how cold it is. If it’s in the thirties and no wind I may walk out with only a t-Shirt then layer up once I arrive at my spot.

zooks

Don’t put your bibs and jacket on until you’re done walking. Lighter boots for the walk is nice too.

I wear a pair of what I think the young kids are calling “joggers.” they are super comfortable and aren’t too tight in the upper legs but start to tighten around the calves which makes it nice for boots. There’s a ton of brands out there to check out.

Your best answers are right here. Throw the jacket and bibs in the sled before you start walking and I’ll bet it’ll fix lots of your problems and the fancy synthetic joggers like these are pretty sweet, Target/Walmart/Costco have store brands if you want to save some $$ vs stuff from UA, North Face, etc.

I like nice gear and wear midweight base layers all the time. Merino will give you the best functionality for staying warm after sweating, the Minus 33 stuff looks nice.

Also if you’re trying to get your jeans over your boots, just give up and tuck them in cause you’ll be a lot more comfortable for it.

shockers
    Rochester

Thanks guys. I’ve done variations of the put the gear in the sled on walk out/in. But was curious about other options.

I’ll do some more research

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I wear long underwear under my climate bibs. just your basic white long underwear you can get at FF. nothing fancy.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

The wife and I wear only underarmor and unzip a bit. We are more than warm enough.

SW Eyes

Under armor base layer with some Nike fleece lined sweatpants. Extremely comfortable. As said above, never been cold and I’ve seen some long days of fishing outside in cold weather.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Your on the right track with Minus33

tangler
    Inactive

Wait wait. So guys spend 300-400 on float suits, and then don’t wear them while walking out because they get “too hot.” coffee

I wear a cheap old set of wickers long underwear under my dickies insulated bibs. They don’t float but on the plus side I can actually wear them.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

Wait wait. So guys spend 300-400 on float suits, and then don’t wear them while walking out because they get “too hot.”

lol my thoughts exactly….my bibs are on the entire time I am on ice

shockers
    Rochester

I don’t know about the other guys, but I was referring to my long walk on gravel/through woods. Yes, the bibs go on on the ice.

Dickies are fine for some applications. I own a pair. But they’re not exactly water resistant.

holmsvc
    SE ND

I usually just open my zippers on my bibs if it’s early season and I am walking out. I usually wear sweat pants under them or a base layer.

holmsvc
    SE ND

Wait wait. So guys spend 300-400 on float suits, and then don’t wear them while walking out because they get “too hot.” coffee

I wear a cheap old set of wickers long underwear under my dickies insulated bibs. They don’t float but on the plus side I can actually wear them.

Good for you applause

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>
    Wait wait. So guys spend 300-400 on float suits, and then don’t wear them while walking out because they get “too hot.”

Add me into that same thinking. The bulk and weight of the Striker bibs seem way too much for my liking when I’ve looked at them in the store.

tangler
    Inactive

I think the striker products look phenomenal fwiw, but they serve no purpose on the sled.

Rick Janssen

FOR SURE – wear my bibs all the time while on ice. I wear the lightest wicking underwear and just the bibs now as they are so warm. Have to upzip while walking but I have the floatation on all the time.

zooks

Yes, because if I’m walking out somewhere where the ice is questionable and I’m worried about breaking a sweat, I have a life jacket on. Geez, there’s more than one way to stay safe and comfortable, you just have to use your imagination a little.

tangler
    Inactive

Yes, because if I’m walking out somewhere where the ice is questionable and I’m worried about breaking a sweat, I have a life jacket on. Geez, there’s more than one way to stay safe and comfortable, you just have to use your imagination a little.

Good on ya. Didn’t mean to point fingers and of course there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What does fwiw mean ?

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

On the right track with Minus 33 wool, thats all I wear under my bibs (which are also wool).

tangler
    Inactive

What does fwiw mean ?

for what it’s worth

Jay Shelley

Sweat pants for me. if i fell like it am starting to sweat i will open my jacket and bibs.

adam borgstahl

Avoid cotton, it just absorbs the moisture and you will get colder. Synthetic is the way to go. Try a wicker sock with your boots. I also wear wool or some type of synthetic blend that will help. You could also take more time to get to your spot, so you don’t get as sweaty.

Dan Baker

When I get too hot, I unzip the legs from the top down so the ankles stay closed.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.