Baitcaster for Walleye?!

• toddrun

Hey Walleye guys, need some opinions. I have fished primarily for Walleye my whole life, on a ton of different waters using a ton of different techniques. That said, almost 100% of the time, I am using my spinning rods/reels. I primarily Lindy rig and jig fish, to a fault come mid-summer. But I have taken up trolling and also use my spinning gear for that, although likely not the best option. In the spring I do cast small Raps into the shallows also, on spinning gear. And I have pulled bottom bouncers on my spinning gear.

All that, my question is, is it worth buying a couple baitcaster rods/reels?

Reading up on it, the primary reason to do this is running bottom bouncers and trolling. Can’t cast small Raps very well, unless you buy the best baitcaster reel, over $500. Trolling, I have not found that quality rods/reels really matters. If I were to invest in a baitcaster combo, I have learned from many years to spent the $$$$$ and get quality, but that means likely $500 per combo.

Just wondering if it is worth the investment, for a recreational fisherman? By the way, I do have very good Musky combo’s that I also use for Northern Pike, but they are overkill for Walleye trolling, but work.

Opinions?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use baitcasters for all cranks besides small cranks. I have a baitcaster in my hand 90 percent of the time unless pitching small jigs. I fish bass all the time so my baitcaster selection is deep. 90 percent of those set ups excel at everything you mentioned. Almost always when I walleye fish I’m doing it with a casting set up.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use a bunch of baitcasters for eyes. My favorite is the quantum With the flipping switch. If I’m pitching blades or what ever and want to release 1’ of line, just thumb the button and it auto engages immediately.

Trolling boards on most baitcasters is brutal. Cheaper reels and non trolling reels will have nylon gears that can/will blow out

My walleye baitcasters are all matched up on 7’ med lt. rods. Med lt baitcasting rods are a little more challenging to find within some manufacturers

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve gone to baitcasters almost exclusively for trolling. Like Randy mentioned, the flippin switch is a nice option for many of applications.

I run St Croix bounce and troll rods with quantum baitcasters with the flippin switch. You can get into that combo for between $200-$250. It’s a good rod that loads up well…I’ve found my hook up percentage is much higher… especially if I’m running rod holders and not feeling the strike and set the hook immediately.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

When I troll spinners or 3 ways I use a baitcaster. Someone on this site suggested the Okuma Low Profile Convector series for these applications as it has the flipping switch. That is what I will be upgrading to from my standard bait casters.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I use bait casting setups on everything 3/8 oz and heaver. Everything under is for spinning. The fish don’t care what setup you use and many manufactures will sell the same blank for casting and spinning.

FryDog62

“My walleye baitcasters are all matched up on 7’ med lt. rods. Med lt baitcasting rods are a little more challenging to find within some manufacturers”

Randy, curious what brand/model you have ML b/c rods. You’re right, there are few. I’ve been mostly using a Light and ML Phenix Feather, both 7’1″. Had a Shimano BFS rod, but was more like a medium power IMO.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a St Croix Premier w/ Tatula SV, which works well for bottom bouncing and trolling. I actually prefer spinning rods for long line trolling so I can get it back out quicker if it fouls.

Benny

I’d be looking at a trolling reel, more specifically a low profile trolling reel, for the applications you’re talking about. You’ll get a line counter and bait clicker which will both be useful. I have a Daiwa Lexa trolling reel which I picked up late last year. Haven’t had a ton of use with it but really like it so far, might be worth looking at.

Deuces

I like different setups for the fact you don’t have to sit around and take the time to change your tackle up everytime.

If I’m longlining shallow cranks my combo is ready to go with a clip and leader ready to go. Bottom bounce has a weight all set to go, Lindy rod has a Lindy rig, jig jig, blah blah u get it. Especially when you pull up to a spot and it’s just lit up on the screen watching guys struggle to retie lines for 15min hurts my soul.

Leftysrconfused

I have a St Croix Premier w/ Tatula SV, which works well for bottom bouncing and trolling. I actually prefer spinning rods for long line trolling so I can get it back out quicker if it fouls.

X2

Getting your lure back out to the fish quickly is nice when long line trolling.

I couldn’t imagine using a spinning reel for any type of weighted trolling system like 3 ways or bottom bouncers.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

“My walleye baitcasters are all matched up on 7’ med lt. rods. Med lt baitcasting rods are a little more challenging to find within some manufacturers”

Randy, curious what brand/model you have ML b/c rods. You’re right, there are few. I’ve been mostly using a Light and ML Phenix Feather, both 7’1″. Had a Shimano BFS rod, but was more like a medium power IMO.

I have all quantum EXO med lt. I fell in love with the super light weight of the high modular carbon with micro guides. Unbelievable how far I can cast a 3/8 oz blade bait with 10# mono

Jake Thelen
    Medford, MN

Definitely worth the investment.
    I find myself using casting rods more and more. My go-to walleye rig was almost always a medium light spinning rod.
    Now, anything with a single hook, I like a medium heavy fast action casting rod.

The biggest advantage of this is the the amount of time my lure spends in the strike zone.
    If I make a bad cast or I’m just done with my retrieve I can reel in and make another cast way faster with the baitcaster. With heavier rod I can horse in a big carp or straighten out a snagged hook, instead of battling for ten minutes with that carp or breaking off my line or even breaking lighter rod.
    Plus, the thump you get from a walleye with braid on a heavier rod is so addicting.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I pull blades and bouncers a lot on Mille lacs, always used cheap medium heavy 75$ bait cast combos, caught plenty of big fish, purchased a st croix bounce n troll and a low profile Okuma convector with line counter last year for dual purpose with cranks. Action is sweet but hasn’t caught me more fish. Start with cheap and upgrade if you can afford

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I’ve always cranked on the river with baitcasters. You have more power to drive crank baits deep in current, and you don’t get all the the line twist.

Main limitation is throwing light cranks like ShadRaps into the typical south wind. For those I do use a moderate spinning rod w/braid.

Terry Heese

When I troll spinners or 3 ways I use a baitcaster. Someone on this site suggested the Okuma Low Profile Convector series for these applications as it has the flipping switch. That is what I will be upgrading to from my standard bait casters.

I have 4 of the Okuma Low Profile Convector series, used a lot last season for BB/long line trolling/snap weight trolling, no issues so far, way better drag than the Convectors used to have. I switched to dbl paddle handles from the power handles.

tornadochaser

I highly recommend the Okuma cold water low profile reels; do a great job pulling double duty for bottom bouncers and trolling cranks.

Charles

Baitcaster and med rod, for swim baits is what I use in the spring.

robby
    Quad Cities

I use baitcasters for trolling mostly. Sometimes I use them for vertical jigging also.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

IMO bait casting setup is just fun. Granted years ago I got myself a St. Croix LE 6’8″ MXF rod paired with a Shimano Metanium MG7 reel and spooled with 15# Fireline braid. That was my do all artificial rod from topwater, jerkbait, to jigs and my most used weights are 1/4 oz. At that time the rod was $300 and the reel was $400. It’s been like 15 yrs and I still have that combo.

I’ve acquired many other combo’s since then and reels have improved. As well as rods have also improved in retail selection. While there is nothing wrong with the old combo, I have been looking more into lighter set ups more recently. Acquiring a few ML casting rods and the most recent one that just hits my sweet spot was the Shimano Curado 6’10” ML casting rod. Currently have a Shimano Curado BFS reel on it and it’s good to cast down to 1/8th oz comfortably.

Michael Sell

I’ve been using a level wind reel and 8 ft medium lite rod to pull bottom rigs of all kinds since the mid 90’s. Having a longer rod with a lite tip let’s me see the bite and let’s the fish have enough time to get hooked up. I found a Longer Fenwick 8 ft rod back then and I’m still using it. Gone through a few reels over the years. Love the flipping switch so I can let line out while holding the rig in my right hand allowing my left hand to run my tiller motor. That along with a left hand reel handle makes this combo so easy to fish with. I also troll cranks with a 9 ft rod made for trolling and a level wind line reel with a line counter. Okuma reel. 20 lb mono. I like to have the extra give in the line and don’t have as many fish shake off. I’ve caught big walleye and even musky using this set up and able to land them no problem.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Love the flipping switch so I can let line out while holding the rig in my right hand allowing my left hand to run my tiller motor. That along with a left hand reel handle makes this combo so easy to fish with.

Perfect combo for a tiller setup. I even use left hand crank for casting, no more switching hands around between casting and retrieving.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.