Bad voltage regulator?

• Mike m

Ive got a 75 hp 2 stoke , was checking the plugs and noticed these melted connections on the wires coming off the voltage regulator . Ive been out several times this year and haven’t noticed any performance issue or electrical problems , so don’t know if this just happened , or was there for some time . Wondering if this is a sign of a bad voltage regulator? Maybe bad connections ? Any help appreciated . Thanks

Attachments:
    1. 4819E3CD-E9CC-490F-9A0F-185384E102C1.jpeg

Iowaboy1

Bad regulator, you will be lucky if the stator isn’t fried as well.
    CDI electronics makes a great replacement one for those.

Mike m

Thanks Iowaboy . How do i know if the stator is damaged ? Ran fine the last time out .

Skinny

I believe you can test the Ohms on each coil like on a snowmobile. There is a procedure for testing each wire.

Iowaboy1

Go to CDI electronics website, click on the troubleshooting guide, pick your motor by brand,year, and horsepower.
    They will have a very detailed guide with all of the specifications and where/how to test it.

It may have ran well for you but may not have been charging properly as the ignition circuit and charging circuit are separate coils in the stator most often.

Mike m

Yes , i did have an issue a couple weeks ago , starting battery went dead on me . Its 6 years old so i just attributed it to having served its useful life . Looks like i gave some troubleshooting to do . Thanks for the info guys

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.