Backyard Rink

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My thermostat said 3 degrees outdoor temp this morning. Last night after dinner it looked like we had about 2”. This morning I walked on it and it took some work to get it to crack. I would estimate 3-4”. I’m planning to let the kids skate on it tonight. I’ll probably stay off myself though.

Now we’re in for weeks of mild weather. Hopefully it trends a little cooler. I notice this morning that the ECMWF did indeed trend a little cooler than yesterday’s model run.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0714-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Think first skate may happen tomorrow evening.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I really didn’t expect this by November 28th.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0722-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_0717-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Nice think we are going to hit it up tonight. Don’t like this weeks forecast moving forward…I’ll be good I think but it will get soft.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I bet there’s all kinds of pucks behind the nets without higher boards. jester

Coletrain27

I bet there’s all kinds of pucks behind the nets without higher boards. jester

thats dads job to collect all the pucks for them jester

rink looks like alot of fun!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was planning to get a free net from someone in our hockey org but he hasn’t delivered yet. I guess it’ll happen next year when the kids are a little bigger. Both are still mites yet so not too many over the boards yet.

It teaches them to HIT THE NET and not miss. Hoping to pick up some plastic boards in the next couple years too.

Ripjiggen

Yup hit the net. Not to many count if you don’t. However netting is on its way. Neighbor kid likes to show off how high he can raise it. Easy to find now not so much with snow.
    Still have some work to do to the arena set up, but early ice is as smooth and clear as I have ever had it. He couldn’t take it anymore so let him and his buddy have at it. Had to pull him off crying at 9 he started at 5.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2956-Copy.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Kids definitely went to bed happy last night.

Ripjiggen

She getting a bit soft out there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

She getting a bit soft out there.

6-10 forecast does not look good for ice either.

Ripjiggen

Meh getting below freezing at night. It will be fine.

Ripjiggen

Well I couldn’t keep him off two nights in a row. Back out there tonight.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

What size is your rink rip?

CaptainMusky

That’s awesome Rip! Love it. Hope the ice holds up with the warmer temps for you.

Ripjiggen

28×56…good for 2×2 at his age 3×3 someone has to play goalie.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

28×56…good for 2×2 at his age 3×3 someone has to play goalie.

Perfect, I’ve done a few in the past, 2 years in a row I did a 50’x80’, lot of work to say the least! Took a few years off, now Thinking about putting another one up again this year as kids are getting a little older, gonna keep it smaller and simple. Probably similar size as yours, 32×48-56’

Ripjiggen

Honestly I build it for him and the neighbor kid who both just love hockey. Like can’t get enough love it.
    They will set up there own drills or just mess around passing and shooting to each other.
    I have a walking path on a rubber mat that goes to my heated garage. They will come in get a drink watch a little wild and head back out.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2964-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

It is kind of weird to be skating and my grass is green and leaves from neighbors still blowing around.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

That’s awesome lots of good memories there!

Ripjiggen

Yeah dads sit and drink beer in garage and watch Wild. jester
    It is kind of funny though we coach together and all the parents say you guys must send you kids somewhere to learn those skills? Or how do those two always pass to each other?
    Mind you they are just mites.
    We just kind of laugh as these two will skate 7 days a week 4 hours a day without us telling them to do anything.
    Put them in a boat together they will do the same thing.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Yeah dads sit and drink beer in garage and watch Wild. jester
    It is kind of funny though we coach together and all the parents say you guys must send you kids somewhere to learn those skills? Or how do those two always pass to each other?
    Mind you they are just mites.
    We just kind of laugh as these two will skate 7 days a week 4 hours a day without us telling them to do anything.
    Put them in a boat together they will do the same thing.

Correct, my son would be out there for hours a week, even after hockey practice.. lol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We’re up in Duluth for Bentlyville otherwise we’d be skating tonight. I managed to get 99% of the leaves off the rink when the sun was out. Should be in good shape tomorrow and this weekend.

Ripjiggen

We’re up in Duluth for Bentlyville otherwise we’d be skating tonight. I managed to get 99% of the leaves off the rink when the sun was out. Should be in good shape tomorrow and this weekend.

I went there once with him. Vowed to never go back. Weekday is probably a little better we were there on a Saturday.
    Could use a little snow to keep things from blowing around.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think I’m going to trim the liner a bit when I get back. The corners keep blowing back onto the rink. It’s always nice when the snow arrives because it keeps the tumbleweeds at bay. Not so much the oak leaves because they blow around all winter though.

The forecast keeps trending in the wrong direction. I have hope it’ll be wrong though.

Ripjiggen

I hear ya I just keep telling myself at least I’ll have a big ice cube in the middle when I have to start over…
    I have some trimming to do and need netting on the ends to still put up so I don’t have to fetch pucks.
    Pretty sure I am the only one in my city with ice.
    You motivated me Biggill.
    My neighbor a few yards down yelled to me I bet you are excited to flood soon. I said I got ice.
    He was wearing shorts in the backyard today.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s a great night for skating. Ice is a little bumpy but is rock solid. I may actually resurface in hope we can skate again tomorrow night.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0773-scaled.jpeg

Ripjiggen

Yup out again. I can actually skate tonight. Flooded last night everything firmed up.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What city were you in again? We signed our teams up for the prior lake jamboree in February. Both my kids will be playing in it. Curious if you might be as well.

Ice was really solid tonight. Hoping we can have a similar evening tomorrow night. I resurfaced tonight so hopefully they’ll knock down all the bumps.

JoeMX1825
    MN

For all you home rinkers…

Viewing 30 posts - 241 through 270 (of 322 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.