Back from Canada!

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Wow, great trip even though it was the slowest for fishing in 10 years. We finally figured out the Walleyes night bite, several above 26″ – I got a 27″, a few 28’s were caught, a 29 and even a 29.5. Slow other than that, hardest trip in 10 years. Unfortunately we couldn’t find much for Lakers at all. Was trolling shorelines for a mile and only caught a few in 10 FOW but they were tanks. That was trolling into the wind. On calmer days we couldn’t even mark many in 30-60 FOW they were really deep if found at all.

More concerning was seeing an old couple come into our campsite and sit on top of Smallies and take out at least 6 and keep them in the cooler. I’m hoping that wasn’t to cull the population because they prefer Walleyes. I have no idea why someone would keep Smallies when you can catch Lakers, Walleyes and Pike in the same area. Seems sketchy, and all of the 19″ Smallies we used to be able to catch aren’t found anymore. Was a real struggle.

Anyone who hasn’t upgraded a Minnkota PowerDrive V2 to a CoPilot for $140, I highly suggest the 60 second install. What a great feature. Also the Vexilar WiFi Camera was really helpful for scouting.

I appreciate as always the feedback on my stuff to prep!

As always, iPhone imports are upside down, sideways and accidental in movie mode…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2107.jpg

2. IMG_2168.jpg

3. IMG_2064-e1497989533963.jpg

4. IMG_2011-e1497989564115.jpg

5. IMG_2575.jpg

1. IMG_2024.mov
    slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Looks like a fun trip. Awesome

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

That walleye night bite sounds like a blast! Mind me ask what you were doing to get into some of those bigger gals? Ive had success on the night bite on lighted slips, but have never gotten any size remotely close to that! Jealous!

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Tbro – They are sitting in a very specific spot up in about 4-8FOW at 10pm. Prior to that they can be jigged on the weedline around 10-14FOW but its a pain.

We simply held a line around 8fow tight to the rocky shoreline and trolled at 1.5mph using #10 Shad Style/Silver X Raps. They dive to about 4-6′. I noticed we had zilch because my motor would only go as low as 2.2mph and my brother in laws could hit 1.7mph due to variable rpms. I was frustrated watching them rake them in until we switched to the Minnkota and we caught 2 in 10 minutes back to back and missed 2 right away. We risked getting snagged on downed timber a bit but it was worth it. Those X Raps caught Smallies, Lakers, Northerns and the big pig Walleyes. Shad seem to be the main forage there that we saw puked up.

Every big Walleye felt like a massive snag in that shallow of water until you felt the pump!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Sweet time. toast

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I have no idea why someone would keep Smallies when you can catch Lakers, Walleyes and Pike in the same area.

See this at Rainy. Gets me too but everyone has their preference.

Great job at finding that pattern in regards to trolling speed. Not an easy one to get applause

rugs
    Hastings, MN

I have no idea why someone would keep Smallies when you can catch Lakers, Walleyes and Pike in the same area.

maybe they were from Iowa. )

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>patk wrote:</div>
    I have no idea why someone would keep Smallies when you can catch Lakers, Walleyes and <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Pike in the same area.

Being a good sportsman has nothing to do with where you are from.

tim hurley

People do not understand that a smallie grows a lot slower than a Walter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

maybe it is about limits and consuming fish, you know like people used to do. when we go to canada, we keep our limit to bring home of walleye and northern.. if there were bass, maybe some would keep their limit also. why get butthurt over someone keeping a legal fish ?

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rugs wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>patk wrote:</div>
    I have no idea why someone would keep Smallies when you can catch Lakers, Walleyes and <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Pike in the same area.

Being a good sportsman has nothing to do with where you are from.

Being a good sportsman also has nothing to do with keeping a bass to eat instead of(or in addition to) a walleye.

Maybe they prefer a bass? Maybe they can catch bass and struggle with other species?

No matter what, its simply their business what they catch and eat and nobody elses.

*edit*

More importantly – great report! Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.

T

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How was that gas consumption on the Yammie?

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Yammie was solid. I burned 12 Gallons in 6 days and on the way in with rollers and overweight was probably 3 gal alone. Max 23mph with 2 and not much gear other than batteries and fuel.

As far as being “butt hurt”, my dad discovered this place almost 30 years ago and it just makes me sick to see it ruined. He’s gone now. Cancer is a bitch. We are pure play catch and release. I know that’s not for everybody and I know the limits probably say you can take out six Smallies in a day, but I just don’t get the mindset. It just doesn’t sit well with me because it doesn’t pass the sniff test. Just because you can keep 6 20 inch smallmouth bass doesn’t mean you should.

We caught 12 Walleyes over 27 inches and we’re happy to let them go to catch them again next year

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.