Auger rack putting extra wear on auger?

• Forrest Brenske

I know it was mentioned before but I can’t seem to find the thread. Just curious to see if anyone has had issues with their augers breaking/having issues when bouncing down the lake in an auger rack. I feel like the weight of the head could possibly bend over time or even snap.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I feel like the weight of the head could possibly bend over time or even snap.

I built my own custom auger rack and supported the head as well as the auger itself. Don’t have any pictures handy at the moment. I did this for both my gas auger and my electric auger (different racks)
    PS: Here are pics of the rack for the electric auger. I can’t figure out how to delete the unrelated photo I added by mistake.

Attachments:
    1. 20180104_113814.jpg

2. 20180104_113840.jpg

3. 20180104_113827.jpg

munchy
    NULL

I use the digger rack and installed a block under the auger handle that supports the head. Made it slightly higher than the handle hangs down so it puts tension on everything and makes it solid when clamped in place.

bfishn

The digger mounts come with an aluminum shelf to support the head. You place the aluminum shelf yourself to fit your auger. I do still throw some extra bungie cords on when doing a long bumpy run on a place like Winnipeg to make sure nothing moves.

munchy
    NULL

The digger mounts come with an aluminum shelf to support the head. You place the aluminum shelf yourself to fit your auger. I do still throw some extra bungie cords on when doing a long bumpy run on a place like Winnipeg to make sure nothing moves.

My aluminum support bent the first time out and the head started flopping around immediately. Thats why I installed a block instead. Works much better and feels about 1000000x’s more secure.

bfishn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bfishn wrote:</div>

My aluminum support bent the first time out and the head started flopping around immediately. Thats why I installed a block instead. Works much better and feels about 1000000x’s more secure.

Hmm. I have had mine for I think four years now, bouncing around wind driven ND lakes and Winnipeg and haven’t had an issue with the aluminum shelf bending. Maybe they beefed it up since you bought, or maybe you were using a heavy auger? I’m running the Honda strikemaster so there isn’t a lot of weight there.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

Hmm. I have had mine for I think four years now, bouncing around wind driven ND lakes and Winnipeg and haven’t had an issue with the aluminum shelf bending. Maybe they beefed it up since you bought, or maybe you were using a heavy auger? I’m running the Honda strikemaster so there isn’t a lot of weight there.

Have a 10 year old Strikelite and the digger is less than 3 years old. The rest of the Digger is awesome, threw that stupid shelf away the moment I got the last screw out.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

I’ve never had any trouble with mine either. I use extra tarp straps to eliminate any bouncing around when I run from spot to spot too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.