Auger Blade Sharpening

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I figured this was talked about before, but my search didn’t turn up anything current.

Has anyone had their Laser StrikeMaster blades sharpened? I have a few sets of blades I’d like sharpened. There’s a place in NY that claims to do them but I’d rather send them to someone more local if possible. StrikeMaster used to do an exchange program but I doubt that is still around. Any advise?

Charles

Any ace hardware stores? The one in brained does them and there is a few other shops in the lakes that do them.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Vados in Fridley has an exchange blades $25

Eric Miller

I have had luck so far this year with using my Work Sharp sharpener on my Laser blades. (Full disclosure, I’ve only had the hand auger out three times and probably only cut 30 holes.) This was the first year I’ve tried it but I just matched the blade angle to the proper guide notch on the sharpener. So far they are cutting like brand new blades.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hope this isn’t about the 7 inch. Frankie’s in chisago does them but they come back worse then they went in

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Hope this isn’t about the 7 inch.

Ha! Yup I was trying to put some posts in the ground but it must be too frozen. Kidding of course, your auger is fine!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I have had luck so far this year with using my Work Sharp sharpener on my Laser blades.

How did you go about matching the angle on the WorkSharp? Isn’t the blade curved? Very curious!

Thanks to all of the other responses! I have a few options now.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Does anyone know the difference between a Laser hand auger blade and a Laser power auger blade?

I set them on top of one another and they appear to be the exact same size and pitch as far as I could tell. The only difference I could tell is the power auger blades had the grooves along the cutting edge.

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Too Sharp sharpening does mine in St Cloud Mn and Ive been more than happy with how they have performed.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Does anyone know the difference between a Laser hand auger blade and a Laser power auger blade?

I set them on top of one another and they appear to be the exact same size and pitch as far as I could tell. The only difference I could tell is the power auger blades had the grooves along the cutting edge.

I’ve looked at those too and came to the same conclusion. I really don’t think the additional grooves do anything except make them look pretty.

Jim Hughes

Joe, have you checked Christopherson’s in Alex? They had a blade exchange program last year. I swapped out a set of StrikeMaster laser blades for about half the cost of new one’s.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I believe the groves are made for less wear on the cutting edge. Especially in dirty/sand water, the blade won’t dull as fast. I have a lazer hand auger(without the groves) and have already replaced the blades once in the past two years of using it on my drill. My friend’s sm lazer solo gas auger(blades with grooves) has been working fine for 5+ years without sharpening. You can also see why kdrill blades can be used in dirty/sandy waters too, the grooves on their blades.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

I believe the groves are made for less wear on the cutting edge. Especially in dirty/sand water, the blade won’t dull as fast. I have a lazer hand auger(without the groves) and have already replaced the blades once in the past two years of using it on my drill. My friend’s sm lazer solo gas auger(blades with grooves) has been working fine for 5+ years without sharpening. You can also see why kdrill blades can be used in dirty/sandy waters too, the grooves on their blades.

Can you explain how a groove in the cutting edge would affect the wear on the cutting edge? If it does indeed have this affect, why would this not be desirable for the hand augers as well as the power auger? I would think a blade that stayed sharper longer, would be even more critical in a hand driven auger.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Joe Scegura wrote:

I’ve looked at those too and came to the same conclusion. I really don’t think the additional grooves do anything except make them look pretty.

Just an FYI I used StrikeMaster laser power auger blades on my StrikeMaster hand auger this weekend and they worked great.

As I mentioned above they looked the same and seemed to be the exact same profile. After trying them both, as far as I can tell the blades are interchangeable.

Eric Miller

<

How did you go about matching the angle on the WorkSharp? Isn’t the blade curved? Very curious!

Thanks to all of the other responses! I have a few options now.

Sorry I didn’t get back on here right away.

I haven’t been able to find the original post where I saw that the sharpener would work for auger blades. I know there was alot more information on that post. But…

I was able to take the blades off my hand auger and even though they are curved, pull them through the sharpening guide on the Work Sharp unit. Only real draw back I noticed is the corner of the blade that you put through the sharpener first is slightly rounded. The angle guide matched it up perfectly to the blades. I punched another 40 holes this past weekend and they are still cutting really well.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks Eric! I have a bunch of old blades so I will give it a try on a pair. I really have nothing to loose I guess. Thanks!

Eric Miller

Thanks Eric! I have a bunch of old blades so I will give it a try on a pair. I really have nothing to loose I guess. Thanks!

Thats what made me try it. They are three year old blades this and I figured it couldn’t hurt anything to try. The real test will be on my power auger blades. I have an older electra with the notched blades. I was planning on buying new blades this year but I’m hoping I can get it to work as well with those blades.

I’ll pop the blades off my hand auger tonight and match them up to the guide angle. I’ll shoot you a pm in the morning.

Eric Miller

Heres what it looks like in the guide.

Attachments:
    1. works1.jpg

2. works2.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks Eric! I’ll give it a shot.

I did find a place to sharpen blades if this doesn’t work out. For those that are interested the place is called “Too Sharp” Sharpening out of St.Cloud.

They have a website that lists drop off locations and shipping instructions as well as prices.

I called and he said a pair of laser blades would cost $15.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.