Injuries?

• KirtH
    Lakeville

Anyone ever hurt themselves while riding

Let me start, about 14 yrs ago I was riding no of Duluth at our cabin, I was with my wife and brother in law and some other couples.

Me and my brother in law are the competitive type, well we decide to race the ditch back to the cabin at dusk. Well we going along pretty good I decide to put the pass on him, well would you know it there was a road t right there, and it was cut down below the bank so you could not see it, I came down the embankment about 60 and nosed dived right into the plow bank , did 3 endos, how do I know that is how many times he saw my headlight, sled hit the ground track first I landed flat on back, me and the sled ended on the other side of the road up thru the ditch and back on top

Well being the tough guy, I figure I just knocked the wind out me nope shattered my left wrist , that baby swelled up like a balloon

That was along night in the ER in Duluth, ended up going back to the TC and going into surgery and pined

centralmneyeguy
    Becker, MN

Ouch!! I took my fair share of spills when I was younger and most could have been avoided, but me being the daredevil I was thought I could pull off some them. Luckily, I can say that I was never injured to the point I couldn’t get back on and do it again! Just a lot of bruises and soreness for me.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I graduated with a guy who is now in a wheel chair due to a snowmobile accident. A friends wife hit a tree in Michigan and spent a week in a coma. My Mom broke her leg and arm back in the 70’s. Lost an acquaintance to an avalanche out west. Lost another to an ATV rollover.

In short everybody I know who rides Snowmobile or ATV has rolled and taken off the windshield.

It’s a shorter list asking who hasn’t got hurt on a play toy!

KirtH
    Lakeville

I hear you on the paralyzed thing, I knew someone whose son hit a plow bank on a lake going 80+ he has been in a wheel chair ever since .

In my case I slowed way down

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Cracked a rib last season. Totaled a sled 3 years ago. I have lost a lot of my nerve riding since that one.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

2000 ZR 600…doing about 70 MPH trying out new clutching and piping…hit a pile of corn picker debris (At night.) and did multiple endos…Ended up breaking the point off of my elbow, and had to have the bone chip removed, and inflicted a bruise of a lifetime on my right a$$ cheek when the tunnel rail was going up…and I was going down!

NEVER over-ride your headlights!!!! And never ride alone at night!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Cracked a rib last season. Totaled a sled 3 years ago. I have lost a lot of my nerve riding since that one.

I wouldn’t say you lost alot of nerve.

I would say you just got a little wiser!

High speeds at night just don’t work guys. Slow down, you will live much longer.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Stuffed a ski in a culvert doing about 50 mph… TWICE !!!

Didn’t get hurt too bad, but one time, doing radar runs on a small lake, I just hit 100 mph when the studded track blew off… slapped me on the back like the jolly green giant, sled was doing 100 and luckily was headed into the cattails at the end of the lake. No brakes so just hung on, getting pelted by cattails… they kind of hurt at that speed… stopped eventually, and the other guys came running over and the guy who owned the sled says ” All right !!! You hit 100 with it !!!”

big g

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

the guy who owned the sled says ” All right !!! You hit 100 with it !!!

I heard you could have serious trouble with a track whipping you on the back, not to let alone the studs too.

The guy who said you hit a 100 must have been clueless of what happend. It sounds rather funny, but good to hear just the cat-tails are the only thing that really hurt.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I actually had little holes/rips in my jacket from the studs, I had the wind I would say half knocked out of me. I really didn’t know what happened at the time, and got a real surprise when I grabbed a handful of brake and nothin…

big g

KirtH
    Lakeville

I saw my brothers Doo throw the track, did not hit him, but going 80 or so down a ice packed road with no brakes, not good

big_g
    Isle, MN

I see a theme here… I was on a modified Formula Plus when it blew….

big g

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

got a real surprise when I grabbed a handful of brake and nothin.

I imagine it didn’t slow down too quickly. No resistance from the track and riding on a set of rails and skis, that would be scary as hell.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Snowmobiling is a DAMN dangerous sport. Not sure how much longer I will be willing to do it. My wife and I have been enjoying it for many many years. I can control myself but I cannot control the idiots flying through the trails like nobody else uses them. I am almost always in the lead and always encounter people on corners 2-3 times a day. Some people actually think they will never meet another sled on a corner so they drive accordingly. Like I said, F*^%#^$ idiots. Driving at night is safest to avoid getting hit by the morons as they have just enough brain power to know a headlight in front of them, duuhhhhh, means a another sled is approaching. I’m just finishing up maint on my sleds. Should have them both ready tonight. Last thing to do is replace worn out/broken studs. Need more snow.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Suzuki I hear yah, I am usally the leader and cresting hills and going around corners is nerve racking at times, alot of idiots out there.

Many close calls.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I used to do a ton of trail riding luckily I have never had a bad accident….lots of close calls mostly from other morons taking up the WHOLE corner on trails. I miss it, I am hoping to get a couple trail rides in with Heidi this winter since we finally have snow, she loves sleddin.

A guy I worked with was killed when he hit a tree, out riding his headlight and lost control.

Worst for me I hit a road approach one I had jumped about 3 times already and the last time something kicked the sled sideways in the air, it came down sideways enough that it threw me off and rolled 3-4 times. Cracked the hood and busted the windshield. I was sore for a few days but luckily nothing broken…I went back to see what kicked me sideways…couldn’t find anything, just a fluke. Luckily I wasn’t hurt.

It is a dangerous sport but it is a great time and it takes you places you would never be in the winter if you didn’t have a sled.
    JB

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I can control myself but I cannot control the idiots flying through the trails like nobody else uses them

Oddly as it sounds, it depends on where you ride. I’ve had more close calls in areas such as Minoqua, Hurley, and Eagle River, Wisconsin. Those areas have high traffic volumes and what seems to be several that are bar hopping. I go to the Munising, Michigan area, there is lots of traffic, but fewer taverns and the distance between them is greater. I could be wrong, but I don’t know what else it would be. But there are some who ride sober and still take the wrong side of the trail.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hurley… Used to be a couple trips a year, a lifetime ago… Also did alot of riding around Grantsburg… Danbury… Skipping water at Yellow Lake Lodge Man that seems like a long time ago…

big g

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Depending on where you ride the number of incidents may vary. I ride everywhere. You will run into a-holes everwhere. If your lucky not very many. As far as alcohol I dont associate that with wanna be racer types blowing corners.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Suzuki, my sled is home now…come down to Hastings and take the circle route with Ritter and I…
    Hookem-9 no doubt may want to join!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Dang. Left my machines up north but I will be bringing them back. Rode as much as I wanted to over this past weekend. Nice to get out but still need more snow. The forcasted thaw this week scares me. We may be starting over again. May have to hit south shore for lake effect snow or just go ice fishing instead.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.