ATV Auger Rack?

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’m looking for suggestions for an ATV auger rack. Wondering what others have used and how they worked?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

If I remember correctly Dereck Johnston has a buddy that makes them.

timmy

I couldn’t stand the thought of dedicating an entire rack’s storage to an auger, so I built a wooden box for the rear rack, installed brackets to hold my auger on top of that, and held it down with a bungee. The box has a hinged door that flops down to open in the back. Lots of storage, plus secure auger transportation. Worked pretty slick.

Tim

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

I did the same, but no hinged door…I can fit a 20 lb propane tank, a Mr. Buddy heater, my Vex, and my tackle bag in my box…

NOW GIVE ME ICE

timmy

Big D – Is that auger an “Ardis…..Sweet Cut” ???

Tim

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

it is an old Ardisam…was my brothers, he moved to Georgia

timmy

Ha! Years back – I picked up one of those for free – did not run. I cleaned the carb, re-plugged, sharpened the blade – and sold it for a $50 bill. PRetty good turn around for an hours labor!

Tim

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

yeah, they go forever…this rig has a 10″ which I could bellyflop through I believe…may park her and go for a new jiffy 8″ this year

the_grump
    Le Center

Thats a good looking plow on that wheeler

birddog
    Mn.

The Mad Dog is pretty nice. I have it mounted on my front 6″ basket. It’s up high enough to fit other stuff in the basket and not and the way. Real secure as well.
    Mad Dog

BIRDDOG

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

looks like a nice box. only thing is it looks like the front end is way over loaded weight wise. if you are looking for just a bracket type add on, you can use a plastic type cutting board. they are cheep, and very strong. all you do is cut it down to the height that you need/want that your auger will sit above the rack, you use u-bolts to attach the bracket to the rack on each side. you notch out the bracket so the handle sits on one side and the bit sits on the other side. you can also carry your chisel next to the auger…………….tom fellegy

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I have a MadDog mount on the back of my sled. And a custom wood constructed one on the atv!!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Good idea puddle pounder..I have the items Luke posted and they work great for the gun, bow, shovel, etc.. I also can put the auger in it but if i go through a rough area the mounts tend to move and i cant get them tight enough to hold the weight of the auger through rough ice/snow….jay

Todd_NE

You have a pic Tom?

puddlepounder

no, not at this time. i will try and get one. a friend of mine is the person that came up with the idea and made it………tom fellegy

timmy

Here is an attempt to post a pic (my 1st)

The box holds a lantern, vex, lunch cooler, a few beers, tip ups, rod case, and a few small extras. The fron box/crate holds the propane tank, heater, ice scooper, stool, etc.. Everything I need is loaded and secured. I have a house that folds up and straps alongside – self contained without a sled to pull. Hope the pic works.

Tim

puddlepounder

it looks like my friend is out of town for a few weeks so pictures will not be available until then. lets say you use a 18″ X 24″ X 5/8″ plastic cutting board. cut it in half so you have 2 – 9″ X 24″ pieces. using at least 3 u-bolts, attach the the pieces to the outside of the front rack, attach them length wise, with the 9″ edge standing on edge. lay your auger accross the bracket and mark it where the handles are on one side and the bit is on the other and notch it out, 1″ deep will be enough. use bungies to secure it to the bracket/rack and you are good to go. i will put up a picture when it is available……..tom fellegy

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for all of your ideas guys!! I had something laying around that will work great!!!
    My tire chains should be here today. I’ll get it liscensed this afternoon and I should be ready to go!!

What do you guys think of it? Will I get laughed off the lake?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Looks like that would work just fine And yeah, ok not the prettiest thing ever, nothing a little white paint and a IDA sticker couldn’t fix.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.