ATV

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Thinking about getting an ATV for hunting, ice fishing, cause the kids want one, cause I am a big kid, etc.. I know I want a 4-wheel drive but not sure about the rest. Chain drive- shaft drive-belt drive??? Different brands , best warrenty, hold up under abuse, etc. Please tell me your opinions and stories. Thanks a bunch.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve been an off-roader since 1983 and have seen a lot of products so I’ll give you my general concensus on what you’re looking for.

Actually, I have to ask, what do you need 4×4 for? You’ll understand why I ask as I state my recommendation.

If you’re really looking for something that will “do it all”, I think it’s in your best interest to stay small. Big rigs and big power come with too many surprises for the inexperienced, young and old. I think the smallest 4×4 out there is 300cc’s and that’s plenty. I still see old 200cc models NEVER running out of power. You’ll lose traction first.

For something that you can play on yet use effectively and conveniently for hunting and fishing, you’re best of with a 2×4 model that is lightweight and nimble. They typically have a sharper turning radius and can sneak around the timbers better. Also, everytime a 4×4 got through a mud hole, so did the 2×4. Only clearance height has ever been a real issue. Traction concerns can be remedied with a set of chains…………..much cheaper than 4×4. They all recommend a winch on your front rack anyway so do you want to winch out a 500lb. machine or a 300lb. machine? Believe, they get stuck about the same and the 4×4’s aren’t as adaptible to “playing”. Also, a smaller machine is easier to load and unload when you’re alone. On ice, lighter is still better and you’ll find the 2×4 more playful. Again, a set of chains will make it just as amazing as any 4×4.

4×4 is really intended for extremely “soupy” areas or extremely rugged terrain. I’ve used both 4×4 and 2×4 and so far the old 1987 Yamaha Moto-4 with dual range transmission and reverse (225cc 4 stroke) has been able to accomplish any task asked of a 4×4 model. In all honesty, unless you’re an ATV activist that pursues challanging trail situations, 4×4 is 99% unnecessary. People think there’s a security in having it but an experieced ATV person can usually do the same thing in 2 wheel drive.

Shaft drive is the most care-free drive system and is extremely dependable. There’s a slight power loss to the wheels compared to belts and chains but that’s more of a computer readout than it is a noticeable difference to the rider.

For convenience and general application, a small 2wd atv is all you need and when you really make a head to head comparison, you’ll find experience is really the greatest factor and that one doesn’t have much over the other.

As for brands, there’s a lot of new comers and I can’t say anything about them but I know Kawasaki’s tend to burn clutches faster than the others and Suzuki’s don’t hold the dependability standard Honda and Yamaha do, not to mention resale value. I haven’t heard anything negative from the Polaris owners but have seen a few jump back to Jap models. In recent years it sounds like Arctic Cat and Bombardier have a decent product too but I’d pick up some ATV magazines that compare one model to another or hit some ATV/Off Road web sites and see what those guys are saying in regard to dependability and brands.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Kid about covers it.

Brand is in the eye of the beholder.

I’m a honda guy, my dad a polaris, my cousin has a cat, another buddy kawasaki. Every one of them has there pluses and minuses, the cat more clearance, the polaris is 2 wheel drive, no shifting and has plenty of power. The kaw is 2 wheel drive also great turning in the woods, as for the cat and honda their 4 wheel drive and you can just drive over more due to the weigh, also sometimes a disadvantage. More than likely it will come down to price and how big you want to go. I use mine for everything from playing to plowing snow and dragging the road.

Good luck in your decision.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

StillaKid has some good points, but there are a few things that I would like to add.

Most people probably don’t realize that deer season here is a full month later than everyone else’s. In Iowa, a December deer hunt either means you’re walking around sweating in short sleeves, or you’re waist deep in snow with -20° windchill.

I have driven (but not owned) both 2×4, 4×4, and the Polaris 6x6AWD models. By far, the most fun was the 2×4, but the most useful for general purpose was the 4×4, and the 6×6 was a workhorse beyond compare. The 6x belongs to a friend of mine who farms… a lot. It’s big enough and has enough go-go-juice that he put a ball in the dump box and wired it up to pull his big farm sprayer. He has had that thing up to the seat in creeks and muck and never gotten it stuck. The 2×4 we used to bury in their front yard when we were kids in less than ten inches of snow. While that sounds like a lot, most of Iowa is treeless enough that when we get an inch or two, ten inch drifts are not at all uncommon. That also means that when you get it stuck, there may not be a tree near enough to winch it out with, either.

There are a lot of good arguments for 2 wheel drives; faster, more reliable; less parts; lighter; cheaper. The ‘chains’ thing doesn’t hold a lot of water for me. I’ve heard people make the same arguments with trucks, but I would never throw on the chains and then drive into an area where I knew I would be needing them. I’ll take the 4×4 – zing, click, thank you, drive through.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Hooks,

How does the 2×4 do on the frozen lake? Say down a plowed road pulling an Otter sled and all the stuff you need for a days ice fishing. What about 3-4 inches of snow?

I am thinking about an ATV too, mostly for ice fishing.

Thanks,

Jon J.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Kid,
    how are the 2x4s for plowing snow and for driving across a plowed field?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Well, let’s be honest about this………….deep snow is deep snow and the 4×4 is going to have some advantage the deeper you’re talking. But if deep snow is an issue, I still resort to the old snowmobile. I mean, that’s what works best in that situation. I see 2×4 Banshees and utility models on the lakes all winter so I know they do work. Open fields…………most of our hunting up here doesn’t get too concerned with that circumstance but again, deep snow=sled for me.

Now, maybe Gianni’s never witnessed the magic of chains but I grew up with them………..they’re amazing………….whether it’s an ATV, truck, or old VW chassis (brush buggy)……….sometimes lighter weight and chains will get you around better than 4×4 can………..it’s true! Some guys have used studded tires on ice but I’ve never really gotten reliable feedback on that set up. Also, drifts can take out either model. If you don’t have something close to winch to, you should know not to bonzai your efforts so your reverse is still applicable. Gianni, good points and some of it does come down to preference…………..I was in the dirt before 4×4 atv’s were available so I’ve had to learn alot of “what to do’s”.

My dad has the ’87 Yammy 2×4 and he got a plow for it. In deep wet snow, with chains, he always got it done but had to be aware of how much he was trying to push. I’ve seen wet snow stop trucks and tractors too so you can’t expect miracles but it does a great job for what it is. In medium to light moisture snow, there were never any issues reported to me. The drive was always done quickly and honestly, dad looked forward to snowfall because he thought the plowing was fun and when he was done, he’d hop on the sled and disappear for a couple hours! He’s got a pretty big driveway an typically had it cleared within 30 minutes…………..he’d just rip right through it!

I got to use the 2×4 in snow up to 8 inches this past winter and never had an issue……………no chains.

You guys want something just for winter fun though??? Dirt bike with studded knobbies!!! It’s almost as invincible as the 6x for getting around! Drifts? Step off, tromp down a forward path and gun it! Until you do it, it’s hard to get a grip on how well it really works but if you got access to try it sometime, you’ll be amazed with big smiles!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

You said it – nothing compares to motorcross bikes for year-round fun.

BFD, if you have a sled, the 2×4 should do just fine. No ATV will outperform a snowmobile in the real powdery stuff.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Thanks for the post & info… I am in the market for a good used 2×4 after reading this !
    Good info… Hawger

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

What’s the deal with used ATV’s anyway? I have never seen a used ATV that didn’t look like it’d been beaten to death and then run over with a bulldozer. The wierd thing is that they still want $3K for something that looks like death.

Is there just not that much of a used market? It seems like you can pick up a solid running snowmobile for a few hundred bucks, why would ATV’s be much different?

herb
    6ft under

The only atv I’ve ever had is a 1983 honda 185s 3 wheeler. Got it new at Starks in PDC back when they still sold them. It’s gone thru me and my wife and then my 2 boys and still looks and runs great. It’s amazing what new parts and some good maintanence and a lot of yelling at the kids will do for keeping these things in shape.LOL Put chains on it a couple years ago for ice fishing and I get by fine. If it gets stuck, I just get off and pick it up and move it to better footing. I don’t think I’d like to try that with a 4x. Boys keep telling me I need a 4x. But the way this state discourages their use, I’ll stick with “old faithfull”.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Gianni, I have asked that question myself! I wonder who would pay that much for something that abused? But, abused is really the word here. Herb hit it…………a little control and maintenence goes a LONG way but a lot of people seem to think that being built for off-road makes them indestructable! I also see them victimized by the inexperienced decisions made while operating them and the abuse of the rider who’s outgrown the tolerances of his/her current machine. There are good used ones out there…………you just have to shop like you’re on a mission. A good used one disappears so quickly that they’re hard to get a hold of. The best scenario is the guy who gets one and then realizes he never uses it as much as he intended to…………..happens more often than you’d logically conclude.

Another driving force is the price of a new ATV is commonly $5K or higher now so that gives the resale market a lot of edge for keeping prices up. A good honest “joe” with a clean machine is out there at a good price, you just have to include it to your daily agenda…………….and I’m not exagerating.

Happy Trails Everyone!

herb
    6ft under

The Kid is right. Good, used, goes pretty fast. Just for kicks and giggles every so often I’ll stop in to my favorite atv dealer to see what has been traded in and always-always I’m too late. They go out one door as fast as they came in another. And very seldom will a dealer take junk in trade. But you sometimes can come upon a very good bike by scanning the classifieds. Sometimes the seller just didn’t like the trade in price that the dealer offered so he decided to try and make a few extra bucks on his own. If you know what you’re doing and what to look for, you won’t get screwed because if you happen to spot a potential problem, and confront the seller about it he’ll normally come clean with you. My experience anyway.
    And no, mine is not for sale. But maybe in another 10 years or so?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Perfect. In 10 years, I ought to have a place with a big enough garage for a truck, two cars, three motorcycles, two boats, and your three-wheeler.

herb
    6ft under

John,
    Any idea how we seem to accumulate all these needfull things? Tell you what, I’ll keep it at my place for you and then you can slide down here whenever you need to use it. wink wink
    Hey, was just thinking, only 4 1/2 months to go and we should be ice fishing.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Well, right now I’ve only got room for the wife’s car and one bike, so I had to do some compromising. No dirt bike for me while I’m in this house. Truck sits outside

I don’t know how I let fall sneak up on me again so fast. I haven’t touched the bow since January, so my work is cut out for me there. Another few weeks and we’ll have to be sharing the water with the duck hunters. Man do those guys get miffed when you pull up in a sparkly blue bass boat and start pitching jigs at them. A well camoflauged duck boat just looks like such great bass cover, that is, until the lids flip open and there’s a guy with a shotgun yelling at you (that part sucks). Fortunately, it’s only happened once.

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Dude, You may want to check out a 6X6. I have been running a max ATV for 12 years and only had to change a drive belt. These things float, go through mud and snow. what I have always liked about it is that I stay dry and clean. With tracks they go through soft snow better than most sleds.The draw backs are that they are rougher to ride, slower, and harder to get in and out of. I had a Argo for a few years before the Max but it seemed more front heavy and did not swim as well.
    JOHN

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.