ATV tow dolly

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I’ve seen a few old threads on this, just wondering if anything has changed. I use a 700 sportsman that pulls my house OK, but I have used a suspension lock to help with the back end smush. I think this will be too hard on the machine over time.

Are the tow dollies the way to go? I have heard that ramps and backing up suck, but other than that is there any other options?

Smellson

I got one last year for my 8×17 castle. Used to pull my 6×12 with my wheeler but it squatted bad. Dolly did everything I wanted it to do. Manuverabilty is going to be more difficult than a direct hitch but as long as you just drive in forward it works great. No dolly is going to backup because….physics. I have no absolutely no regrets with my dolly. Never used it on a real steep ramp so can’t comment on that

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have no interest is backing up, just getting around thinner ice. That first picture is the one I am looking at.

I saw the single wheel thread too – be interested to hear if it gets stuck in varied ice/snow conditions, holes, cracks, etc. Can’t imagine you go very fast either as all the bumps get directly transferred to your atv.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

No dolly is going to backup because….physics.

Please explain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The guy in the following video has no trouble backing up a trailer, using a dolly under the front end of the trailer. At the end of the video the driver backs the entire trailer into a building. Yes, a much more heavy duty application but the physics are exactly the same.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=backing+up+a+trailer+dolly&&view=detail&mid=69C7C0B9F7F6C828400769C7C0B9F7F6C8284007&&FORM=VDRVRV

Pat K
    Empire, MN

You can back up with the 2 wheel dolly but it is a different technique or skill set that you use. Anybody that grew up on a farm knows it’s easier to back up a single pivot trailer like a boat trailer or manure spreader than it is to back up a trailer with pivoting front wheels like a hay rack, grain wagon or you wheel house with a 2 wheel dolly.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Smellson wrote:</div>

The guy in the following video has no trouble backing up a trailer, using a dolly under the front end of the trailer. At the end of the video the driver backs the entire trailer into a building. Yes, a much more heavy duty application but the physics are exactly the same.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=backing+up+a+trailer+dolly&&view=detail&mid=69C7C0B9F7F6C828400769C7C0B9F7F6C8284007&&FORM=VDRVRV

The longer length (20feet?)and tri-axle probably make a huge difference over a 2 or 3 foot long single axle dolly.
    I know my 16 foot boat trailer is considerably easier to back up than my 8 foot long utility trailer.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The longer length (20feet?)and tri-axle probably make a huge difference over a 2 or 3 foot long single axle dolly.
    I know my 16 foot boat trailer is considerably easier to back up than my 8 foot long utility trailer.

Like I said, Larger scale but same physics. Along with a shorter dolly tongue, one is using an ATV with a shorter wheel base. Pat K understands the physics.

You can back up with the 2 wheel dolly but it is a different technique or skill set that you use. Anybody that grew up on a farm knows it’s easier to back up a single pivot trailer like a boat trailer or manure spreader than it is to back up a trailer with pivoting front wheels like a hay rack, grain wagon or you wheel house with a 2 wheel dolly.

^^^^^^^^^^ nailed it! ^^^^^^

Smellson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Smellson wrote:</div>

The difference is we’re talking about an 800lb atv pushing several thousand pound wheelhouses…..on ice.

castle-rock-clown

This is the best of both worlds. You can back up and on most atvs the dolly wheel is off the ground when unweighted, but upon adding trailer it compresses the suspension and adds weight to rear ATV wheels to get better traction. With the other sled dolly the weight and friction are on the sled with no weight for traction added to the ATV.

Attachments:
    1. D6DFD989-B579-42B4-B2D3-8EDB25E402C5.jpeg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.