looking to make a hitch helper for wheel house

• The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I am wanting to make a hitch helper to carry the tongue weight of my wheel house for my 4 wheeler, anyone got any plans? the 1 I saw last year had snowmobile skis.is there a name for them? thank you in advance

castle-rock-clown

I’m experimenting with attaching a swiveling dolly wheel to the gooseneck pinned into the receiver of my ATV. It will be about 2 inches short of touching the ground when no load on ball and contact the ground with trailer tongue weight. It’s a low speed setup, might work, might not. As far as snow I have a snow shoe I bought a couple years ago.

MNdrifter

I’m experimenting with attaching a swiveling dolly wheel to the gooseneck pinned into the receiver of my ATV. It will be about 2 inches short of touching the ground when no load on ball and contact the ground with trailer tongue weight. It’s a low speed setup, might work, might not. As far as snow I have a snow shoe I bought a couple years ago.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/atv-receiver-hitch-trailer-dolly/

I make something similar…..

Attachments:
    1. 52DB9309-F6E6-4E27-8E2C-6CC900A06D64.jpeg

billy03z71

Anyone have or try one of these?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20171201-144528.png

MNdrifter

Anyone have or try one of these?

I tried a couple versions of carts. I don’t care for them. You get very little weight on the tounge for some traction. One I used actually pulled up on the wheeler hitch, making it really squirlie. They are tough to back up with due to the 2nd pivot point. Also you have to watch out going down slopes. They want to jackknife really bad. I work with a guy that ripped off his fender, and bent a rear axle when he was driving down a ramp, and the fish house started pushing the wheeler, then jackknifed and caught the tire and rolled up and over the tire.
    But they are better than nothing.

castle-rock-clown

You have that right. My ski loves to run up on me. I hate that thing. Your ball dolly is what I have in mind.

billy03z71

Very good points, would be a easy way to bang up a nice wheeler

MNdrifter

Mine works well on land and bare ice. A guy bought one from me for pulling a 33’ camper said it worked good. Haven’t tried it in snow yet. But I don’t see any reason it won’t work. A ski I don’t believe will make much difference. Unless pulling with track machine. We have greese zirks on caster plate ball bearings, and wheel bearing. I am selling them in the classifieds forum if your interested.

prospector
    Wyoming

I built one a few years ago. I made it from an old trailer and it works great. My design has about 60 pounds on the four wheeler. I would never use it on a boat ramp. I back it on the ice with my truck, unhook and use the wheeler from there.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The dolly made by Prospector, could be modified to allow one to adjust the amount of weight transferred to the four-wheeler. Rather than weld the ball mount in place, make it slide and pinned in place. Position of where it is pinned would control the the amount of weight on the four-wheeler.

MNdrifter

where in classifieds

ATV receiver hitch trailer dolly

prospector
    Wyoming

The dolly made by Prospector, could be modified to allow one to adjust the amount of weight transferred to the four-wheeler. Rather than weld the ball mount in place, make it slide and pinned in place. Position of where it is pinned would control the the amount of weight on the four-wheeler.

Sorry the picture is not better. The stinger is not welded and can be moved back closer to the fulcrum. Dave, you are exactly right on the idea.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.