ATV tire leaks. How to fix.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve had issues with my Polaris ATV’s tires having slow leaks. This is a 2009 Sportsman 500 with stock rims. What’s up with this?

I’m running Goodyear tires, I got the machine with 700 miles on it and the tires were brand new then, they had just been replaced because the former owner thought it would fetch more money.

Last year the fronts started slow leaking, so I had tubes put in. OK, that fixed the fronts.

Now the rear tires are both slow leaking so I have to pump them up every week. Is there any fix for this other than tubes? I’m really hesitant to put Slime in as I’ve heard bad things about the mess that makes and that it unbalances the wheels so the machine shakes.

Anyone else had this happen and what are the fixes? Anyone tried putting tubes without removing the tires from the rim completely?

Grouse

onestout
    Hudson, WI

skip the tubes and just fix it right. sounds like the beads are dirty, tires need to be removed and clean it up. My guess is the previous guy that put the tires on didn’t know what he was doing.

404 ERROR
    MN

Polaris wheels are notorious for allowing air through, even on a clean bead. I have spent a number of hours spraying soapy water on Polaris tires to come to find it’s leaking from the bead. Do what onestout says, clean the bead up real good and try again. Not a guarantee it will fix your problem…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate the replies. So if it’s bead leaks, why not just go to tubes?

Wouldn’t redoing the beads would just kick the problem down the road another year and then they’ll start leaking again?

This is strictly a work and hunting machine so I’m not burning up tires on trail rides. This set of tires should last a while, so I’d like to fix this once and be done until it’s time for new tires sometime down the road.

I was just thinking that tubes are $15 each and if I can do them myself it’s $30 to fix the issue. If I have to pay somebody to do the beads…

Grouse

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

This is strictly a work and hunting machine so I’m not burning up tires on trail rides. This set of tires should last a while, so I’d like to fix this once and be done until it’s time for new tires sometime down the road.
    I was just thinking that tubes are $15 each and if I can do them myself it’s $30 to fix the issue. If I have to pay somebody to do the beads…
    Grouse

You can clean up the beads your self, just takes a bit of time and elbow grease, depending on what tools you have. Cleaning the beads is not a guaranteed solution. The tire may be damaged where it seals, yet be perfectly fine structurally or the rim may have a nick too deep to buff out and seal. Tubes will overcome either of those issues.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’ve never had an issue with beads leaking but if it is a concern and after you clean the beads apply a bead sealer to the bead, we use it on all alloy rums but no reason it can’t be used on steel. I’ve had more people bring in leaking tires from the tubes leaking than leaking beads. the valve stem on tubes always seem to shift and get torn and leak. if the tire isn’t properly lubed it will have a hard time seating with the low pressure that atv tires run.

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

i work at a tire shop here in rochester and we repair numerous atv tires daily….take em in and have em tubed bead and stem leaks are all to common on atv tires they flex and allow dirt and grime in the bead area. if you install a tube with a tr6 valve stem which are designed for atv use u will not have a problem unless something punctures the tire. (the valve stem on tubes always seem to shift and get torn and leak) would be willing to bet they are using tr13 valve stem which are made for garden tractors and other small equipment. any questions just fire a pm or bring em down to rochester and bring em into the shop and we can getya dialed in

Don Miller
    Onamia

I thought slow leaks in tires and short battery life is business as usual on ATVs.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Is this really only a issue on Polaris ? Polaris does not make tires…. hmmmmm. Had a Yamaha, tires leaked, have a Polaris, tires leak.. an Arctic Cat at the cabin, tires leak. TUBES. Done.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I punctured one of mine last year. Put a tube in it and have driven about 1000 miles since with no issue. Sometimes my plow atv will lose air sitting in cold weather and I just pump it back up. Those tires are actually 10 years old and havent done that in several years. Weird.

DonG

Don’t waist your time with the tubes and pulling them apart. The ground is full of thorns and they will easily puncture the tires and tubes. End all your problems and green slime each tire and your problems are over unless you actually rip a tire. My unit was brand new with 4 flat tires full of thorns.. Unit is now 21 years old and never had a flat or leak since.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

I didn’t really want to use the green slime but carried it for emergencies.Poked something in the sidewall and slimmed it up and drove on a side hill for a while. Thats probably 5 months ago and still holding air.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.