ATV ramps

• Bobby Kuennen

Looking to get a sportsman 500 into the back of my f150. Any suggestions on length of ramps? Or is the mesh vs welded cross beam style is safer when trying to load an atv covered in snow and ice. Thanks

blank

As long as you can get. It can be tough to load with shorter ramps due to a steeper angle when there is snow/ice. And be careful not to break the rear window of your truck. I suggest putting a block in the front of the box or something that will stop you from sliding into the window. Yes, I’m speaking from experience doah

ps0345

Stay away from cheap short ones. Get longer Aluminum, Like blank said, steep angles are no fun, I have also learned from experience.

Spencer Haugen

Get the trifold style it saves from the ramps sliding out from underneath

Brady Valberg

Regardless what u go with i suggest getting a tiedown or something to secure the ramps to your reciever or bumper or whatever so they dont kick out…i have trifold alum ramps and they have a tiedown that will hook to the vehicle

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

If you have one of those heavy rubber truck bed mats you might consider taking it out – as you ramp up it might slide back a bit and then slide forward when you hit the brakes – can and may hit the box and maybe take out the rear window….that’s experience talking – use a block or an old tire against the front of the box.

red89
    Hudson

The Yutrax tri-fold ramps are on sale at cabelas. I bought a set of the 69″ last year and they worked great. Comes with straps to attach to hitch.

They make a longer 82″ model as well, but I went with the shorter set so they would fit under the atv with the tailgate closed in the 6.5′ truck bed. Turned out that I couldn’t close the tailgate anyway, so would have got the longer ones if I would have known that.

404 ERROR
    MN

As long as you can get, aluminum, safety straps. The rest are just convenience features. I have the Tri-fold Yutrax ramps that Red suggested and also some 2-piece folding angled aluminum ones from TSC. The Yutrax are a little short and the angle can become dangerous with a big/lifted truck. The angled 2-piece ramps are 92″ and offer a much better angle for piece of mind. Worth the extra pennies, IMO.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Yutrax tri-fold ramps are on sale at cabelas. I bought a set of the 69″ last year and they worked great. Comes with straps to attach to hitch.

They make a longer 82″ model as well, but I went with the shorter set so they would fit under the atv with the tailgate closed in the 6.5′ truck bed. Turned out that I couldn’t close the tailgate anyway, so would have got the longer ones if I would have known that.

This ^^^^.

I have the 82 inch and it makes loading much more safe and sane because it’s not as steep. Those short ramps scare the he!! of me when loading.

Also the longer ramp makes the “hump” where the ramp meets the tailgate lower so you can pass equipment with less ground clearance over it.

You have to use a cable lock if you’re going to park anywhere, I bought a bicycle lock at Walmart to make sure my ramp doesn’t go on walkabout.

Grouse

Bobby Kuennen

Out of curiousity, do they not fold right in half? If so a 69″ ramp folded in 2 should be able to fit in a 6.5′ bed.

Thanks guys, should be some good black friday deals coming so I’ll look for the longest i can find.

red89
    Hudson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>red89 wrote:</div>

Out of curiousity, do they not fold right in half? If so a 69″ ramp folded in 2 should be able to fit in a 6.5′ bed.

Thanks guys, should be some good black friday deals coming so I’ll look for the longest i can find.

Bobby,

My truck bed is 78″, and the ramps are 69″. I would have bought the 82″ but I wanted to be able to close the tailgate with the ramp under the atv. When I went to pick up the atv, I learned it was an inch or two too long, so I have to leave the tailgate down. I slide the ramp under the atv, and use a canoe strap or bungee to fasten it to the atv so it doesn’t slide out. I think you maybe just misread my post, no big deal. I really like the Yutrax so far.

FYI, about locking them up. My 69″ set actually fits in the truck cab while I’m out on the water.

dbright
    Cambridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bobby Kuennen wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>red89 wrote:</div>

Bobby,

My truck bed is 78″, and the ramps are 69″. I would have bought the 82″ but I wanted to be able to close the tailgate with the ramp under the atv. When I went to pick up the atv, I learned it was an inch or two too long, so I have to leave the tailgate down. I slide the ramp under the atv, and use a canoe strap or bungee to fasten it to the atv so it doesn’t slide out. I think you maybe just misread my post, no big deal. I really like the Yutrax so far.

FYI, about locking them up. My 69″ set actually fits in the truck cab while I’m out on the water.

I know it is not a lot of fun but if I back my wheeler in it fits with the tailgate closed. Forwards it will not close by a inch or two

404 ERROR
    MN

I know it is not a lot of fun but if I back my wheeler in it fits with the tailgate closed. Forwards it will not close by a inch or two

You sir, have bigger kahoonas than I will ever have…luckily my trailer clears the tailgate when down…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.