ATV Opinions

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So this is just like reading Google reviews….you’ll have some great and some bad..you never know what the truth is…I’ve got a Polaris 570 (to most that is a “Bad” ride) but I have no complaints. I wouldn’t spend $2k-$3 more for a different brand. Maybe it’s just a matter of how you run and treat it….

I ride all my machines pretty hard. Put them all to the test. Do all my maintenance my self. Honda has never let me down, besides the poor 21 I sank in the pond. A machine should be able to be beat on with out breaking. That’s the basic tests. I am not to brand bias. I’d buy a yamaha, Honda. Suzuki. Have owned can ams and Hondas. But I ride with alot of guys. My self won’t buy a Polaris, doesn’t mean they are junk but I do see them break under stress far more often then the other machines.. I want a machine to pull my ice shack to plow to play on trails and in mud. I like a solid all around machine.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Was it ELECTIC SHIFT the manual shift didn’t have a problem

B-man

You can buy a foot shifter for any ES model, and have both electric and manual shifting.

dbright
    Cambridge

Was it ELECTIC SHIFT the manual shift didn’t have a problem

Both were ES. Even if you were to have a problem you can still shift them manually.

Stanley

I have a 03 kodiak 450. It’s been a great ATV for me and I would recommend looking at those as well. Had a 05 Polaris 700 and that thing was constant problems for me. First time it broke down it had 6 miles on it. I rode with 3 other guys that all had Polaris as well and we all put them through the same stuff and mine was the only one that had constant problems so probably a lemon but after that experience I won’t buy another Polaris.

Leo Dogg

I have a 2006 Honda Foreman ES. Absolutely a great machine. Until the ES started acting up. I need to install a new handlebar start stop shift switch.
    Does anyone know where I can get a manual or diagram of exactly how to do it?
    Thanks!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a 2006 Honda Foreman ES. Absolutely a great machine. Until the ES started acting up. I need to install a new handlebar start stop shift switch.
    Does anyone know where I can get a manual or diagram of exactly how to do it?
    Thanks!

You can find all the Honda manuals online or I buy mine from larsons cycle in Cambridge. It will have the full diagram in the book. As well you tube can be a huge help as well.. that job specifically is a pretty quick and simple job. Follow the wires back, disconnect and install now switch and wiring. Should all come as 1 part

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

2016 Yamaha Grizzly , great machine ! After 3 top end rebuilds ! Have like 1200 miles on it. Notice they are no longer making the 708 ? Yamaha went back to the 686 .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

2016 Yamaha Grizzly , great machine ! After 3 top end rebuilds ! Have like 1200 miles on it. Notice they are no longer making the 708 ? Yamaha went back to the 686 .

That stinks bad. That 708 was supposed to be a great motor and it ended up in the flunk pile.

basseyes

Have a 2000 Honda 450s foreman since new. Paid something like $4,800 but it was a previous yr model. Have beat the living crap out of it. Totally agree with B-man, miles ain’t everything. Ours is strictly a snow power, food plot, work horse. Ride sucks balls compared to most other machines, but that straight rear axle is nips. Have had a few issues with it but all have been from using it far past its limits. Would never buy a Honda for trail riding or speed that’s for darn sure. The ride is awful, it needs to be stated twice. I’m use to it and doesn’t bother me but other people who ride it coming from other brands can’t stand the ride.

Have a 2003 kawasaki prairie 650 that’s been a great machine as well. Bought it broken and wouldn’t shift into any forward gear. Tore it apart and replaced the broken gears and it’s been awesome ever since. Way better ride than the Honda, but tried pushing it like the Honda the first couple yrs and learned quickly the rubber band just can’t deal with stuff the honda can.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>
    2016 Yamaha Grizzly , great machine ! After 3 top end rebuilds ! Have like 1200 miles on it. Notice they are no longer making the 708 ? Yamaha went back to the 686 . some

That stinks bad. That 708 was supposed to be a great motor and it ended up in the flunk pile.

I do like the machine , has plenty of power rides like a cadillac power steering is nice . But Yamaha dropped the ball on the motor . Yamaha subcontracted the motor to Subaru who intern bought Robin engine. Motors were built by Robin .Some never had issues others were oil burners right out of the crate .Mine was burning about 450 miles . Then back and forth to a dealer who would actually work on it . Running full synthetic Yamalube , so far not using any,fingers crossed . The dealer i bought it from denied there was a service bulletin on the top end , go figure .

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Use on a machine is viewed differently by just about everyone. Therefore opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. Back in 2008 I bought my only new machine. An Artic Cat 500. My comparisons were all farm use, probably harder than most would do. All my neighbors had a scrap yard of beaten up polaris machines. They obviously were the cheapest options but the parts reflected it. The Kawasaki and Hondas all ran strong. The honda was like a bullet proof motor but suspension parts failed quick. Kawi’s were king for use, but ride like brick.

I looked at the simplicity of Artic Cat and the beefed up swing arms. Also basic parts like bushings were cheaper. For thee price I went that way. No regrets. 14 years of pulling hay wagon, logging, plowing snow, elk hunting in the mountains, and all the hard use of a farm has proven to be a great investment.
    I caught barbwire in 2 axels and tore up a couple boots. Ended up with dirt and crap in there so I replaced. Decided since I had it tore down, I would refresh it. New arm bushing, all new axels, and a few other minor things. Only significant work ever done.
    Since then, added a 650, and another 500 to my collection. Both used and needed minor stuff. Been happy with them all.

Rest of my family has all gone Yamaha. They been through the mix of just about everything and we,ve seen it all. We’ve towed more Polaris machines out of the mountains than you can imagine. Would never want to depend on one that far back from nowhere. The Grizzly is by far the smoothest ride and so enjoyable for hitting trails and forestry roads. Payload on them suck. I’m, in the market now for a new machine and will go with a Kodiak 700. The Kodiak is beefed up for work and not trail riding. For my use, the heavier clutch system, gearing, and more heavy duty parts is worth spending the 1k less to get instead of the flashy trail stuff

queenswake
    NULL

This kind of question is like asking about cars these days. They are all good. None of the ATV makers would be in business anymore if they were crap. They all have waiting lists for orders.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What’s the story on the Rincon? Did they have some well known issues? They’re substantially more available than the Ranchers or Foremans

MX1825

What’s the story on the Rincon? Did they have some well known issues? They’re substantially more available than the Ranchers or Foremans

Not sure but I think the Rincon has automatic trans.

isu22andy

Haven’t heard anything bad about the Rincons. They are a heavier machine though . That’s one thing I like about my rancher – if you get yourself in a bd situation you can usually man handle the machine out of it.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.