ATV Essentials

• Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

I’m picking up my first ever ATV this weekend, and I’m just curious what, if any, are a few of the things that you deem as essentials to have with you out on the ice. Things like tools, safety equipment, etc. I don’t want to pick one up, and regret not having something with me out on the ice. Thanks

JoeMX1825
    MN

Digger Auger Mount, by far the best ATV auger holder solution…

castle-rock-clown

For on the ice at very least rear chains and a heavy duty tow strap. Then the accessories like auger mount, GPS fishfinder on ram mount, cargo box or bag, and then after getting stuck a few times some tracks. Welcome to the world of atving.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Did you order some racks? Crucial to have for ice fishing.

gonehunting

Check out the Otter Monster Box for the rear of your ATV. Excellent storage solution.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I’d second Randy’s comment on windshield. I don’t have one on my ATV and the wind can be brutal…mostly on the hands. I don’t know what the snow is like in your neck of the woods but that too is brutal where I live (so much so that I’ve tracked my Grizzly) and fashioned myself a self-extraction bar to use with my winch and auger. One of those new USB jump packs might be nice but I have ATV tendered and start out each trip with a freshly charged battery. Plus, we don’t deal with the cold that you folks probably do. A tow strap is always good to have…I find myself hauling folks’ machines off the ice quite regularly for some reason. From a convenience perspective, I also have Otter Boxes front and rear.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I got my first ATV last season (mostly for ice fishing) and I got a rack on the back that I can bungee 3 milk crates to, each crate can be used for either 5gal buckets or to put other stuff in. The next thing was a RAM mount and power cord for my HB597 with my lakemaster chip in it out of the boat. Living in southern WI, I don’t know that chains would be a requirement but probably not a bad idea (I haven’t purchased any yet though)

castle-rock-clown

Chains are great for either deeper snow or for glare ice. The best rubber will never bite as well as the worst chains.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Holmen, WI

I bought my first atv this year as well. Bought it mainly for ice fishing.

So far I have added a Kolpin auger mount for the front. The rear I have a Kolpin rack that holds 3 5 gallon buckets. Rear tire chains.

Also have tow hitch, cover, and hi fax runners for the shack.
    I am loving the wheeler so far! !

bee
    Maine

Hand and Thumb warmers. Also the windshield

US-Johnson
    Austi Mn

If you don’t have a windshield get a helmet with a shield and breather box. Good pair of leather choppers (hands get cold without the windshield). Small tool kit w/spark plug wrench and spare spark plug for the ice auger. Small cheap set of jumper cables. Never forget toilet paper! ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Holmen, WI

Might have to check into a windshield. Hand warmer is next.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I mounted a LED fog type lamp on the back… when loading in the dark, and pulling the shack, it nice having that light to lake sure nothing gets left behind. I don’t have hand warmers… they would be nice. Southern WI.. my chains stay in cabinet at home most years, but they will help when needed for sure. I have big soft handle bar covers, I think through Moose Off-road to help. Your hands get cold really quick in any wind at all. These help.

I have a heavy pip with a eye bolt on one side, and a t on the other. I have gotten really stuck, and with the winch, and tow rope, drilled a hole, used this to drop in hole and given myself something to pull against.

If not wearing a helmet and no shield, goggles and a dicky are huge!

kelley rathbun

wow you guys don’t know how nice you have it in Kansas southern Nebraska and western Missouri the army corp of engineers do not allow any motorized vehicles on any of there lakes. went to corp office my self .. kwp and corp of engineers cant seem to get along in ks but that’s politics sucks for sure,,, by the way state lakes u can drive on thxkelley

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

Wow, Thanks a bunch to everyone that’s answered so far.

The four wheeler I’m buying has hand and thumb warmers, a rack extension, and a low profile windshield. The low profile windshield probably isn’t good for much, unfortunately.

Shopping list right now: Tow Rope, small tool set, tire chains.

Can you clarify what a self-extraction bar is?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Pretty crude, but it has done the job. I have a small winch on the atv…. run it to my tow rope, and extend out a ways. Drill a hole, drop this down and it gives me an anchor. Used it twice in a bad slush pockets that even with the tire chains, I wasn’t going anywhere.

An I bolt connected to a heavy threaded rod with one of those long nuts, ran through a pipe. I drilled a hole through the bottom of the fitting where the nut is. The rod and bolt lets me hook onto it, and adds strength. The small side pipes are just small enough to go down the drilled hole and hook on the ice. Like I said, not pretty but… it beats being badly stuck way out by yourself.

I only carry it when conditions dictate… besides that I toss it in the truck so it is at the lake in case.

Click on top image for full view.

Figure if I ever broke through, it also could act as something to tie the ATV off and keep it where it was until I got help. Too much thinking… I know, but it has helped me twice now.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0831.jpg

2. IMG_0832.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.