Attorneys

• Rick Z
    Stark MN

Discussion in the orther thread made me wonder about an attorney. For those who have a permit to carry, and if you were involved in an incident who would you call? Do you have to have them on retainer?

Thanks!

Charles

Yup lol, Have a family attorney

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Our family’s attorney has handled anything and everything we’ve needed for around 20 years. He has helped with real-estate transactions for private sales, dealt with surveyors, gotten involved with a storm insurance dispute, handled issues with evicting renters, and was our first call when my wife was rear ended by a firetruck (not going on a call) as she slowed for an already yellow light a few years back and they wanted to blame her. I’ve always told him his number is saved in my phone and if it is something he cannot handle or does not specialize in, we trust his judgement to connect us with someone who can handle the situation.

We’ve bartered quite a bit over the years with me doing side work for him at his cabin, plowing his properties on occasion, etc. We have gotten to know each others’ families and even take an occasional vacation together. What I’ve paid him over the years hasn’t been excessive but has paid for itself 10 fold.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There is a self defense attorney in the twin cities, and also self defense insurance. I will post a picture of the contact when I get home. It is in my safe with my conceal certificate

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The person who I took my Carry class from handed out a business card with the name of a attorney who specializes in defending permit to carry people who end up involved in a shooting. I lost that card when I lost a wallet awhile back. This post reminds me I need to stop over where he works and see if I can get another card from him. I don’t remember the lawyers name. If I get over there and get a new business card I will update this post.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Having a lawyer on retainer for gun offences, or any other for that matter, is like saying I am going to need a lawyer because I am going to do something… IMHO

I don’t plan to shoot anyone so I don’t need a lawyer on retainer. Nor do I believe in any of the scare tactics used by some CC legal websites to get you to buy a membership.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t think having one on retainer is necessary, But doing some research on and having the name of one to call is not a bad idea. If you ever find yourself in need of one, I doubt your mind will be in the right place to make real good decisions.

stout93
    Becker MN

Having a lawyer on retainer for gun offences, or any other for that matter, is like saying I am going to need a lawyer because I am going to do something… IMHO

I don’t plan to shoot anyone so I don’t need a lawyer on retainer. Nor do I believe in any of the scare tactics used by some CC legal websites to get you to buy a membership.

Kind of like saying you have a DWI lawyer on retainer…

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I agree I don’t think you need to buy a membership, that is what they tried to do at my class also. I do think like said here it would be nice to have a number to call, but with out any sort of established relationship would they take your call?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There is a self defense attorney in the twin cities, and also self defense insurance. I will post a picture of the contact when I get home. It is in my safe with my conceal certificate

If it’s from MN wouldn’t it be a carry certificate?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

If it’s from MN wouldn’t it be a carry certificate?

Conceal carry certificates. Yes

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t MN only issue a “permit to carry” which also allows you to open carry along with carrying a concealed weapon?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t MN only issue a “permit to carry” which also allows you to open carry along with carrying a concealed weapon?

Yes.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Correct

tornadochaser

My wife and I both have the contact information for a well respected criminal defense attorney practicing in MN and the dakotas stored in our phones. Doubt I’ll ever need to make that call, but its just another form of preparation.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

One of my best buddies is earl grey. And his dad is the big earl grey, so if we ever needed a attorney I’m sure we’d be covered

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Also, there is no limit on the number of handguns you are allowed carry.

-J.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

So with that logic, having a permit means you plan to carry a gun and plan to do something with it? Owning a hammer means I plan on becoming a carpenter? Owning a car means I am going to become a nascar driver?

Slippery slope there.

CaptainMusky

So with that logic, having a permit means you plan to carry a gun and plan to do something with it? Owning a hammer means I plan on becoming a carpenter? Owning a car means I am going to become a nascar driver?

Slippery slope there.

100%. I dont own a handgun or obviously have a permit to carry, but based on what Ive read from those who have gone through the training its wise to at least have the contact information for a good attorney.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Funny, I just msgd my instructor about this very thing prior to this post.
    One of the lawyers I had listed in my wallet has gone on to other things. I have a msg out to the other. I definitely want to make certain I have at least two competent lawyers listed in my wallet for just such an emergency.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Suzuki—when you find them can you please post who they are?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Suzuki—when you find them can you please post who they are?

In my message to the one guy I called I specifically asked if I could pass it around. Ill do what I can otherwise.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Also, there is no limit on the number of handguns you are allowed carry.

-J.

Carry Permit or Conceal and Carry Permit are names that get bounced around a lot. Much like is it a Magazine or a Clip. Technically only one is correct.
    Unless someone’s asking a specific question, I won’t correct them.

WI allows open carry without a permit. To conceal a handgun we need a permit. Getting the WI permit is pretty fast as long as a person has taken a hunters safety course.

MN does not recognize a WI permit (because they don’t have to demonstrate how to handle or use a handgun). A WI resident must apply for a MN permit* to open carry or concealed in MN.

WI recognizes the MN carry permit.

One day we’ll get our crap together with a federal permit to carry. Until then… Know the laws, know your surroundings and most of all, know yourself.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s who my instructor just told me to put in my phone.
    Firm out of Anoka.

brandtdefense.com

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Thanks! I added it to my phone!

If you are involved in a shooting Keep Your Mouth Shut ! The only thing you sho
    uld say other than i want to call a lawyer is I Feared For My Life !

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.