As promised

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Here are the low water photo’s taken on the Ash River Trail today. All the concrete at Sunset Resorts boat ramp was exposed and dry. They need rain bad!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4264.jpg

2. IMG_4259.jpg

3. IMG_4260.jpg

4. IMG_4265.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Were they anticipating a higher than normal snowfall and subsequent snow melt last fall when they lowered the system, or is this what happens when you have a very snow less winter?

How does levels that low affect the spawn?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They had a dry fall and a below average winter I think. With all the Walleye & Sturgeon guys on the Rainy River I’m sure there is pressure to let water into the river for them also. It’s really bad up there. I don’t know how they will get the houseboats out without a lot of rain. I’m guessing they will take them to VNP to launch them.

I’m sure the Walleyes will adapt to spawn.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Heres hoping for some rain for everybody!! Across the US!

As low as these rivers are I’m already looking forward to what could be an excellent fall bite. With not as much habitat for these river fish to spawn in numbers of YOY baitfish will be low and with really good year classes behind them could be pretty sweet. With every down theres an up egh?

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Wow. Having never fished Kab, we will be going there in June. Should we be concerned about water levels, the affects on the fishing, etc…

And just last year they had record high levels.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wow. Having never fished Kab, we will be going there in June. Should we be concerned about water levels, the affects on the fishing, etc…

And just last year they had record high levels.

Depends. If you are staying on Kabetogama the main thing will be the lake level relative to the docks. That first step might be a doozy. grin I’m not sure what it will do to the fishing. You will need to really watch for rocks. Areas you could run threw in the past might not work so well right now.
    I’m not trying to scare people going to Kabetogama, this is a post about the Ash River. Those resorts are the ones really in trouble with the low levels. Stay tuned, I’m sure Mother Nature will help with some rain.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Here’s the water level chart for Namakan. According to the topo maps from the Minnesota DNR, normal pool elevation for Kab is the same as Namakan. The trend is flat to a slight rise, but not much below last year’s level. Upstream on the Ash River is apparently a different story.

http://www.boiseinc.com/ncontent/lakes/NamakanLevel.htm

Brendan Goss

Any update on the docks of the Ash River? I am heading up first week of June and hope they get a little rain.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not much change. I’ve heard Ebols still plans on getting the houseboats out so the River & Bay must be navigable. They can still get a bunch of rain before June, keep your fingers crossed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.