Cat Tip of the Day: Vinyl Tubing No-Snag Sinkers

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Need a little project to help pass the time during these cold winter months. You might as well make some sinkers to get ready for some open water fishing. I am always looking for good tips to pass along and this is one that I found in the Brotherhood of Catfishing website members library. I do a lot of drifting and trolling for channel cats and I have found that the best sinkers to use are slinky weights or No-Snag Sinkers. They are relatively snag free sinkers and if you make your own you can make them very cheaply as opposed to buying the expensive No-Snag sinkers. I made a couple of other Cat Tips of the Day with info on how to make your own slinky weights and another on how to make No-Snag sinkers out of large nails. I’ve made a good inventory of drifting/trolling sinkers using those methods but now I’ve found an even more effective way to make No-Snag sinkers so I figured I would pass on the info.

Materials Needed:
    • Hot Glue Gun
    • #4 Buckshot .240 diameter
    • 3/8 in. X ¼ in. (Inside diameter) Clear Vinyl Tubing
    • 3d 1 ¼” finishing nails
    • Swivels or Snap Swivels

Making the No-Snag Sinker:
    I have a digital scale so as I make the sinkers I am able to weigh them to get close to exact weights on each sinker. I was primarily interested in making 1 ounce and 1 ½ ounce sinkers. I found that the 1 ounce sinker used a 4 ½” piece of vinyl tubing and 15 #4 buckshot and the 1 ½ ounce sinker used a 6 ½” piece of vinyl tubing and 22 #4 buckshot.
    To make the sinkers, cut the vinyl tubing to the length desired. Insert the #4 buckshot into the vinyl tubing, I found it to go in easily but you may need to push it along with a small screwdriver if it hangs up. Leave yourself a gap at the bottom and at the top to be filled with the hot glue gun. I did the top of the sinker first, I had a bunch of 1/0 swivels gathering dust so I used them to make the top of the sinker. I inserted the swivel to the depth desired and marked the bottom of the swivel on the vinyl tube. Using a 2X4 scrap piece of lumber as a base I pounded a 3d 1 ¼” finishing nail through the vinyl tube so the nail went through the swivel loop inside the sinker. After I had the nail lined up, I backed it out about half way and pulled out the swivel. I then filled the top of the tube with hot glue and then quickly inserted the swivel back to its original position and pushed the nail all the way through the tube and out the opposite side insuring that it was pinning the swivel to prevent it from coming out. I pushed the nail flush with one side of the tube and then used a snips to cut off the other end of the nail on the other side of the tube flush with the side of the tube. I used a small file to make the cut end of the nail smooth. After the top of the sinker was done I packed the buckshot up to the top and then filled the gap in the bottom of the sinker with hot glue and I was done with the sinker. Set it aside to let the glue setup. It only takes a few minutes to make a sinker and you get better and faster the more that you do. I’m a tinkerer by nature so this little project helps to keep me busy and the winter to go by faster.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Great idea, Steve.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Have you tested these? Just wondering if the hot glue holds up well, or if a dab of silicone would work better.

They look awesome. Where do you get the buckshot?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Ryan – I bought my #4 shot at Cabela’s in Rogers. It is called Hornady Lead Buck Shot and it comes in a 5 lb box for $23, the Item # is IK-213690. Here is a link to their website, you can order it for in-store pickup and save the shipping costs: Cabela’s Lead Buck Shot

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Steve,

When you are running these how far off the bottom do you desire your baits to be?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Steve,

When you are running these how far off the bottom do you desire your baits to be?

Kevin – I try to troll or drift about .4 to .7 mph and want the sinker to be touching the bottom and I run a 30″ to 36″ leader with a 5/0 to 8/0 circle hook with a hunk of cut bait. I place a 3″ foam float or rattle bobber about 6″ to a foot in front of the hook to float the hook up off the bottom to keep from getting hung up. The bait should be riding in a target zone within a couple of feet from the bottom.

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

Good idea and effective. Also seen these made with parachute cord and used for walleye.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Thanks for the great tip. Looks like I will have some time to get a bunch made up before the cats fire up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.