The “Alpha Wolf” of freshwater

• arklite881south

Many ice anglers feed off the intense battle of the hand to hand combat with the dominate predator of Northern Minnesota fisheries. As fisherman dig their heels in the ice these massive fish are very capable of breaking rods and hearts in one drag ripping run. The Northern Pike when growing to an elite size class simply doesn’t fit the mold of the “lesser version” of fish commonly referred to as “Jacks”, “Hammerhandles” or “snakes”. This impressive freshwater monster is more accurately represented with the made up fishing terminology like we like to refer to as “Moosepike” or “Freshwater wolves”. I assure anglers that if your looking to expand your fishing enjoyment the mere suggestion of overlooking these “Girthy Gals’ is a colossal mistake.

Our guide service frankly is not very selective when it comes to the target species. Whether we tip-toe on the ice sheet for the “Hulk” class of walleye, hole hop for Ri-Donk-Ulous crappies, or strain backs while ripping barbs into freakishly large pike were up for the challenge. In this short article we will focus our attentions on the true “Alpha Wolf” of the water. The Northern Pike deserves all due respect and has once again gained attention from “Iceheads” across Midwest lakes and river systems.

I’d like to initially pay tribute to these fierce fighting fish capable of ripping ice rods down a hole, and slicing flesh to the bone on hook sets with flags. These fish are at quite evidently at the top of the food chain in most fisheries. There are a variety of techniques that can effectively be utilized to hook up these beasts. I believe as conservation minded sportsman firsts and foremost we have a responsibility to have an action plan in place to effectively Catch, Photo and release trophy caliber fish. I’ll place equal focus on each of these key components we employ on a day to day basis on the ice.

First of all if you don’t catch trophy fish the efficient photo and release is a moot point. So lets talk catching boys…… which we all know is far more enjoyable than fishing!!. Don’t let the lip service by some in the fishing industry ever convince you that catching fish isn’t really all that important. Trophy caliber pike will not come easy. Guys that focus on elite fish must not only do their homework, but need an element of mental toughness. The Immediate gratification world we live in can clash with the realities of trophy hunting. I assure you there are no guarantees in the “Big fish Biz”. Buckets full of the highly publicized “Hotdog with fins” aren’t all that comfortable swimming amongst their predators. Increasing your odds of loading up a rod with a heavy fish needs to draw needed focus if you want to catch big pike. First and foremost you have to fish systems that have a consistent track record of producing big fish. There is no level of fishing competence that is capable of trumping a lack of elite caliber pike. When you have determined your chosen fishery the next step is to target fish movements. Anglers often times lack T.O.W (Time on Water) to effectively eliminate large spans of dead areas on each fishery on on their personal 2-3 day adventure. Pinpointing abundant bait-fish locations will be the most effective way to find these big predator fish. When you have factored in the seasonal movements of the bait fish within the system with the timing of your trip it is time to gear up!! Commonly utilized Tip-up rigs are most always used as one of our options as seen featured here with our insulated HT tip-ups. We prefer to utilize the HT line-up for a couple of reasons. A high caliber free spinning spool in cold weather eliminates a big fish getting tension which often times will spook those off the bait buffet. The extending flag allows for easy viewing over the heavy snow cover in borderland any many reaches of the ice fishing world. Lastly the insulated hole covering style of tip-up eliminates hole freezing and frustration of chipping out frozen components as fish spin out. We ONLY utilize variations of the quick set rig. A “Quick Set” was developed several years ago and has drawn much attention throughout the fishing industry. This introduction supported by conservation minded anglers has drastically reduced fish mortality from gut hooking big pike. A simple analogy of the rig finds 2 leaders in equal length tied off a main line. Each leader is rigged with a treble hook and spinner. The spinner add makes this set up legal in the state of Minnesota as it is now deemed a lure. Color combinations of the spinners are also great attractants for “Lurking Lunkers”.. Quite often your favorite open water color combinations based on your particular fishery will likely be a great starting point when rigging your Flags. Hook one of the 2 trebles in the tail section of your bait leaving the majority of the hook free. Hook the second treble hook just through the skin of the minnow behind the head with the trebles facing the tail of the minnow. Large predator fish will most always eat your bait head first. By placing the hooks front hook facing the tail increases the odds of an effective hook set. Depending on your bait size you may want to trim the back tail to reduce the thrust and elusive nature of the bait. Have you ever wondered why some say you need to set the hook as the fish is running?? Quite simply often times a pike will smash a big bait to initially kill it. This will trip your flag, but only when the the fish runs again has he turned the bait around head first to eat the the meal. I also suggest trimming one side of the pectoral fins to give the erratic swimming motion that big fish are programmed to feed upon.

On our second rod when we are exclusively targeting pike we like to use a Med-Heavy rod laced up with a heavy15+ braid. A tie able thin leader with that doesn’t kink is advisable. There are several companies that have answered the request from anglers developing a product to fit this need. Hair jigs, large Jigging rapalas, Large H20 Precision Jigs and flashy jigging spoons such as the “SLender Spoon” from Custom Jigs and Spins can be ripped aggressively then held in a death quiver to induce devastating strikes. This is no place for your “Grandma Betty Hook Set” so rip it like you mean it and be certain your drag is set properly the FIRST TIME. Too often anglers lose the 1 big fish of the trip for one of two all too common reasons. First and foremost is the rod is not designed for true”Manfish” and will fail miserably in completing the task you ask of it. We all enjoy fighting fish on light tackle, yet I assure you this will be a relatively short fight with you holding the second place ribbon. Driving a hook home on a big fish requires a med-heavy to heavy rod designed for large fish and then swing for the fences baby!! Many large fish are lost just beneath the ice as anglers get a view of the beast and jump into panic mode. Breathing becomes short and knees get week. You might possibly need to designate a calming agent for you team. Most often times when anglers are properly geared up if they lose the fish it is because they rip hooks out of the skin of a big fish . Stay calm and keep even tension on the fish. Lose the “Saltwater” Pump and reel. Although this may very well impress your ice audience this will give many opportunities for that fish to time a head shake to throw the hooks. Expect big fish to throw it into reverse at the site of your fishing party peering down at her. I assure you big pike are less eager to see your mug as you are to see her “toothy Grill”. Let her run when she wants to show off and ease her out of the hole being careful to keep all 10 digits on your hand. In my opinion there is no place for gaffs while fishing trophy fish if you are conservation minded. In the world of make believe they don’t’ harm fish, but within the reality of ice fishing a sharp steel shank piercing will of course cause damage. I suggest after lacing up my hands with stitches on multiple occasions to wear a fillet style glove and to attempt bringing pike topside by pulling by the mainline. Beyond that enter hands in the water at your own risk. The risk and reward factor is to be determined be each individual angler. I can attest to heat of the moment sacrifices for the team. I’ve never regretted a shoulder plunge for a trophy yet. The guy with the wet sleeve at the end of the day is the ultimate team player!!

Planning for success often times determines the true fate of your trophy fish when she comes “Topside”. A quality needle nose pliers not one with doubled up use for pan-fish will efficiently remove your quick set rig from the pike. Having 1 competent person in charge of photos and taking a few quality shots of your new PB Pike is essential for an effective release. It is very irresponsible to lay the big fish on the ice for 10 minutes to freeze and suffocate while 10 guys take digital photos and phone pics to email their pals. Respect the elite fish that has provided you with a thrill of a lifetime by proper and efficient handling. Have your designated photographer responsible for capturing the moment and in turn emailing the pics to all involved in the process. I believe proper measurements and pics can be taken in a very short period of time should the proud fisherman want a beautiful replica made to serve as a centerpiece of fishing stories for years to come. I also believe there is a great story told for generations to come when a series of quality photos is placed under your fiberglass replica knowing you’ve both conquered and effectively released this fish for others to enjoy. In my opinion that is competence, respect and class rolled up in one great fisherman.

When releasing all trophy caliber fish whether this be “Tank Walleyes” or “Girthy Pike” the efficiency once again of your fishing team is essential for the health of that fish. This cannot be over emphasized. As though your team is in the pits of the Indy 500 everyone needs to do an effective job on that monsters pit stop “TOPSIDE”. To reiterate earlier comments it is wise to designate and discuss who has what job should you line up the beast of a lifetime. Be extremely careful that you don’t freeze the fins on the fish. If this fish is caught outside bring it in your portable Otter asap for a quick measurement. Letting the fish flop around the ice and shack will surely hurt the fish in some fashion. Fish are NOT land based species. Minimizing contact with the bottom of the fish house or ice will help reduce any damage to the fish. Upon completion of proper measurements or photos slide the fish head first back into the hole. make sure the tail is submerged in the water and then hold the fish by the tail underwater moving the fish gently side to side until she pulls out of your hands. These big fish when efficiently handled will swim away unharmed with great success. Most all big fish are extremely wore down from the fight, so take the proper time to me sure she regains composure before swimming away. Now at this point is the time for knuckle bumps with your friends and replaying this epic event for the rest of your lives. Your quest for a big fish is complete!!

Rainydaze guide service specializes in groups of guys aggressively exchanging high fives with a side of knuckle thumps!! It is the order of the day fellas………LIVE IT!!

Chris Granrud
    Rainydaze Guide Service
    http://www.rainydazeoutdoors.com
    218-286-3159
    In Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
    Otter Outdoors Pro Staff
    Strikemaster Pro Staff
    Marcum Technology Pro Staff
    Custom Jigs and Spins
    Snosuit outerwear
    HT Tackle

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

’em der a little to big to pickle huh? Awesome fish!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.