Holding Point for Big Walleyes!!

• arklite881south

Several years ago the ice fishing world was turned upside down by the new wave of equipment and fishing techniques designed to increase anglers efficiency. This evolving trend in the industry brought new life to an age old sport. No longer was the sport of drinking Hot chocolate and attempting to stay warm the focus of the day. Drilling more holes and spending less time on dead water has “Iceheads” seemingly acting as crazed warriors on the ice sheet these days. Here with Rainydaze Guide Service we aren’t afraid to burn a few hundred holes while we search for the Ri-DONK-Ulous sized crappies. We are trained to both set up and take down Otter houses as though it might be the next event held at the “Winter Games”. Our 3hp “SOLO” 154 auger from Strikemaster has a ferocious appetite for ICE and just flat out sounds cool!! Still as anglers in search of Trophy Walleyes sometimes we simply need to “HOLD POINT!!”. In this short article we’ll share a philosophy that seemingly bucks the trend of today’s fisherman, yet continues to produce massive walleyes on a very consistent basis for our customers demanding attention. I believe our philosophy concerning mobilizing might some clarity for anglers when deciding whether to relocate.

As a full-time licensed captain our guide service runs 70-75 trips a winter. Fuzzy math indicates there are few fishing days during the winter we are henpecking articles rather than fishing. Rainy Lake is a vast fishery spanning 220,000 acres. We are clearly a large reservoir that flows though the dam in International falls before spilling into the Rainy River. The Rainy River in twists and turns 60 some miles before finally dumping into Lake of the Woods. Spending nearly every day on the ice it is naturally you gain some perspective on this game we all enjoy. Here is a thought; Fish don’t Feed 24/7. Weather is seemingly always the biggest challenge you face on your fishing trip. A grumpy “Ma Nature” transfers her mood to the fish on a rather consistent basis. If you find yourself fishing Pre-Front, Front, Post front conditions week in and week out you can expect moody “Eyes”. When blessed with a stable weather pattern we believe big fish are simply far more apt to hit the buffet line. Disregard the importance of that secret lure you have or what hidden honey hole you fish. Weather is the Trump card to a hand holding the best cards. These large swimming predators activity level will greatly with the onset of a severe weather changes momentarily. There has been a lot of press over the years given to both high and low pressure systems effecting fish behaviors. Rising barometers or lowering barometric pressure often has anglers coming down with flu like symptoms around noon only to be found skipping out of work to catch the system…….JUST RIGHT!! What I’ve found over the years is fish will bite regardless of the particular direction of pressure. I prefer high pressure sunny days when there is massive amount of snow on the ice darkening up the system. I hope for a cloud base if the ice is clear free of much snow cover. What we prefer is stability one way or another and believe abrupt weather changes negatively effect the fish on a consistent basis.

As anglers some of us like to pursue elite fish. Sure we’ll take the “Spike” buck out of the herd for some camp meat, but this isn’t our main objective. We would consider ourselves Trophy hunters in the world of fishing. The desire of icing that monster walleye keeps many grown men awake at night and doing very strange things. Guys toss gear into trucks and drive through the night here to “Borderland” for a quick trip to chase the magnificent “Marble eyes”. When the morning sun peeks through the pines providing just enough light to tie your newly learned “Girl Scout” knots your day of ice fishing will yield 8-10 hours to soak bait. I’m hear to suggest nobody will ice a fish with his/her line out of the water column. There is a time to “Move and Groove” and there is a time to hold position. Hunters may relate our big fish tactics to sitting motionless in that prime stand where your trail timer has captured images of that MONSTER BUCK!! Similar to big game hunting if anglers are truly looking to capture big walleyes they need to be positioned in big walleye territory. This starts by fishing waters with robust populations of elite fish. Then set your otter on a prime location known for holding these fish based on the timing of your particular adventure. If the fish aren’t showing up on your Marcum flasher you need to determine your next move. Deciding whether the targeted “TANK WALLEYES have either moved after a roaming school of bait fish, or are in a weather induced “Fish Coma” is a critical decision in which an angler must make. Sometimes that chosen move only means lines out of the water while fish make the angry run onto the structure unknowingly you just vacated. If I’m fishing with the knowledge of a disrupting weather system upon us I’m less likely to get aggressive chasing fish showing our talents of taking down and setting up portables. Truth of the matter is the fish likely aren’t moving much and pinpointing inactive fish is seemingly pointless. As long as the end game revolves around Catching versus seeing fish. I’ll keep our team on top of what I deem the prime feeding locations. They may be staging very close to you in a dormant position. I understand we all like to hear the scream of that Strikemaster auger while having hole drilling contests with friends. On the contrary to this thought if we’re fishing a stable weather pattern and the fish are not cooperating I will most often choose to fish a different piece of structure. Like when fishing during the open water season it is wise to alter your patterns that currently aren’t producing. If your set up on a deep mud flat and it is not working go to shallow current. If your working a first line break with minimal success move out to the first isolated reef and so on.

During Ice formations anglers must keep in the back of their minds present oxygen levels. When fishing smaller systems this can be the key component to early ice fish movements. When fishing larger bodies of water this still will be a determining factor driving fish from shallow bays that might become oxygen depleted to nearby deeper haunts. I assure you big fish aren’t quite as brilliant as we make them out to be. Elite sized fish eat PLENTY!! They obviously have to consume a rather robust diet to gather the needed energy for the fast approaching spawn cycle. These big fish will locate themselves close to the dinner table. Understanding the bait fish movements on your particular body of water is a under utilized piece of knowledge that may very likely be the most important information you’ll uncover. Putting the entire big fish puzzle together with the relationships of Oxygen levels to bait fish movements will in turn narrow the search of locations holding your next Personal Best Walleye!! As anglers we can be sure of 2 key components when it comes to the seasonal movements of walleyes. These fish are both programmed to eat and spawn. Developing the knowledge of how to apply this to your fishing pattern can be lethal on those “BIG GIRLS!!” on the ice.

As anglers it is easy to become over anxious. In the fast paced hustle and bustle of today’s world a guy can get a bit over amped. We all seek to put a load on our new rod, and in turn sometimes are guilty of over thinking the chase. Put your team on big fish waters on precise “Spot on Spot” dominate structure. Think through your next move. Sometimes the next move is not simply not advisable!!

Rainy Lake continues to be the ice fisherman’s paradise for those looking to knock down that over sized freak of a walleye. This vast shield of water is quite capable of producing elite fish with tremendous consistency. This year so far nearly 75% of our guided trips have boasted anglers bringing a 26+ walleye “Topside”. Our biggest fish so far this season was iced last week measuring 30 inches on the bones!! A heavy 10lb Northern Minnesota walleye. Nearly 100% of our trips have given anglers a chance at the big TANK!! I urge all seekers of the elusive “Monster Walleye” to get out on the ice, and keep those lines in the water as much as possible.

We’ll see you on the Ice Boys!! We’ll be the search and destroy team dressed in “Blue Camo”. Our arms will likely be wet from shoulder deep down reaches down an 8 inch hole looking to bring that big headed fish topside.

Fist Pumps and Knuckle Bumps!! Fishing for beasts….With Attitude!!”

Chris Granrud

Rainydaze Guide Service

http://www.rainydazeoutdoors.com

In Depth Outdoors Pro Staff

Marcum Technologies Pro Staff

Strikemaster Augers Pro Staff

Otter Outdoors Pro Staff

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Good read chris! lots of good info there

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

your a sick sick man Chris. living the dream!!! Keep it coming you give some of us hope!!, hell all of us hope!!

palolo

Awesome Read
    I don’t know fish behavior under ice/cold weather so If there is open water near frozen body of water is it possible that fishes would gravitate towards open water?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Gabe, you’re better off just reading these old articles without commenting on them.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. waytogo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.