Beyond Footsteps with Otter Outdoors

• arklite881south

In the Seemingly endless hustle and bustle of todays society sometimes anglers simply want to fish where there are no traces of mankind. Blasting through the powder snow, and over the bramble of an old moose trail with their Otter fish house in tow. There is an equal sense of freedom, and one of accomplishment knowing your about to groove holes where no other man has yet dared to travel. Rainy Lake is located in the harsh backyard of International Falls, Minnesota. We lay claim to a vast 220,000 acres of “Winter Wonderland”. This massive fishery offers extreme “Ice Heads” the unique opportunity to get their fix traveling beyond footprints. Voyageurs National Park is touted as the only National park with no road access. Many visitors proclaim the purest form of beauty found in VNP comes within the grips of winter.

As a boy I was often participating in extreme expeditions found within the confines of the Boundary Water Canoe Area that later graduated into a deep love of Queticos provincial park. As a man it was only natural to rekindle the burning desire in my soul by experiencing what few others are willing to explore. As a fishing guide it comes as no surprise that Rainydaze Guide Service often likes to get off the beaten path, and is often found scoffing in the face of "Ma nature". If I recall correctly James Holst and I produced a walleye show under the title “Off the beaten path walleyes" with "In Depth Outdoors a couple years ago. I’ve had several customers comment at the end of our trip how just getting there was easily half of the fun. Witnessing firsthand deep rock cuts, and snow covered ridges where Moose, Deer, Otters, Wolves and various other forms of wildlife roam free. Limitations of your travels are only within the hearts of the individual fisherman, and the durability of their equipment. International Falls receives national attention each year for the extreme weather it receives, and has embraced the title “Ice Box” of the nation. Many Vehicle manufactures are found peforming "Cold weather testing" on our roadways. Local politicians often times debate amongst themselves on the overall marketing effectiveness of our given title. For myself I not only choose to live in the “Ice Box” but am often found scoffing in the face of “Ma Nature” building a home on top of a rock cliff overlooking Rainy Lake, and doing cannonballs through the ice amusing the powers to be running the Cantore stories of the Weather Channel. We heat our house with wood, and have made a concious effort to not only survive, but thrive in a more fitting title of “Manland”. Our friends much like ourselves choose to live life with a similiar sense of attitude when it relates to weather.

When entertaining our customers we’ve been known to travel off the beaten path where there is clearly no room for failure within your equipment. Augers need to start, sleds need to fire, and the endless amounts of high dollar equipment of our guide service needs to safely follow you in preferably in one piece. Too many times I’ve witnessed broken rods, flashers, and cracked sled bottoms as others portable houses simply aren’t tough enough to endure the harsh travel through the woods or over ice heaves. I’ve often heard from fellow ice anglers “Looked cool set up in the store” or “Look at this neat thing it can do!!” OK………..Those who know me or have fished with me understand I have no time for equipment that isn’t truly “Guide Series” tough. Equipment that lets you down will ruin your outing. Back a number of years ago the term “Guide Series” was a stamp that explained to customers that this equipment was tested and deemed strong enough to withstand the harsh everyday usage of a fishing guide. Last year I ran 71 ice fishing trips which started mid December and ran through the end of March. Fuzzy math will clearly indicate there wasn’t much time off for equipment fixes. I don’t cancel trips because of wind or cold. I never wake up early to see if it is going to be a bit too chilly to fish that day. Weather happens, and you own dominate equipment to ensure you not only can handle a “Mother Nature” curve ball, but you flat out knock it out of the park day in and day out!! Now days the “Guide Series” coined phrase is simply an overused marketing ploy. I have my own toughness indicator for being not only strong enough, but efficient enough to utilize when Mother Nature takes her grips on International Falls. Otter Outdoors products are produced for and hereby stamped “MANLAND”.by Rainydaze Guide Service. The rest of the industry has honestly did a pretty decent job replicating, and attempting to follow an obvious leader. Still for my money whether it be for my portable fish houses, auger shields, or rod holders I always look to Otter Outdoors first. I believe Otter Outdoors should adopt the slogan “To Protect and Serve”.

As many “Ice Heads” will agree efficiency is the key ingredient to raising the outings “Fun Meter”. Sleds that don’t start in the morning will keep the meter at zero, Augers that take 200 pulls to start will keep you warm, but keep the meter LOW, Broken equipment when unpacking your sled VERY LOW, and a side of GRUMPY!! A poor flip up design or bent extending poles risk frozen fingers……Literally!! Lets face it the major reason Ice Fishing has made such major strides in popularity recently is soley because the fishing industry has stepped up to manufacture products that are clearly more user friendly and efficient. I don’t know of anyone who enjoys hitting the ice pack, and simply being cold for 8 solid hours. Whether your new to the sport of ice angling, or a grizzled veteran we all can agree we need to minimize time spent in the elements in adverse weather conditions. The only way you can do this is to streamline your process of setting up, and taking down your daily equipment. The rock solid construction of the Otter fish houses in our fleet ensure that I can not only get my needed equipment to a desired location in one piece, but quickly and easily set up our houses to get customers fishing and warm. I urge anglers who have taken the time to read my henpecked experiences to field test for themselves the entire line of Otter Outdoors equipment. It is my belief that you too will feel empowered to travel beyond footsteps with confidence in your equipment. When it comes to enjoyment on the ice when temperatures can reach 38 below zero there simply are no ribbons given out for second place.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Great Read Fellow Ice Head!!!

Versatility and Durability are two huge components when traveling off the beaten path. Otter has both of these components dialed in.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Good read indeed Chris.
    I’m actually looking to upgrade my shanty this year. One that seats two comfortably would work just fine. Not quite rating a full fledged “Ice head” myself, I wonder just which Otter ice fishing shanties you prefer? Or are all there shanties just that good?

arklite881south

Quote:

Good read indeed Chris.
    I’m actually looking to upgrade my shanty this year. One that seats two comfortably would work just fine. Not quite rating a full fledged “Ice head” myself, I wonder just which Otter ice fishing shanties you prefer? Or are all there shanties just that good?

Hi Joel!! Certainly one doesn’t need to classify himself as an “Icehead” to want both the quality and reliability of an Otter Portable fishhouse. I have a Lodge (2-3)man, and an older model Villiage which fishes 4 easily. I’m looking to add both a Resort to fish 3 guys out of, and a 1 man cottage for personal whole hopping. I do a ton of hole jumping for giant slabs, and if there is wind you simply need a cover up. Plus the ability to get all your gear with you is a awesome. IMO a 2-3 man is simply perfect for 2 guys that like to bring all the fun Ice Toys!! Cameras, Flashers, Heaters…….all have plenty of ice room, so your not kicking them down the hole. This also runs true for the 3-4 man model (Resort). Your fishing area is absolutely huge in these Otters, and guys have plenty of room to mobilize without burning their face on the heater!! The square tubing that is in my Otters is extremely strong, and durable!! Of course the sled is bullet proof!! I’m looking to daisy chain 2 houses together with a simple eye bolt and washer system directly out the back of the heavy duty sled. Otter is wonderful to deal with, and I’ve never apologized for purchasing top of the line equipment. You too will be very happy with your house Joel!! I’m really starting to get the fever!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.