Cat Tip of the Day: Hanging No-Roll Sinkers

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

My standard cat fishing slip sinker rig used to consist of a No-Roll sinker sliding on my main line tied off to a swivel that attached to my leader. A couple of years ago Larry Haugh gave me few Sinker Slides and told me to try them out and see what I thought. Within a week I had ordered a bulk shipment of Sinker Slides and now that is all I use as the basic setup for my slip rigs. They provide several advantages over the no-roll sinker approach. The Sinker Slide allows the line to flow freely and easily for a perfect slip rig plus you can change sinker sizes without having to cut your line and retie like you have to do with no-roll sinkers. Best of all at the end of the day when transporting your rods you don’t have a large no-roll sinker sliding on your line beating up the rod guides or the rod blank. With sinker slides you also have more flexibility with the types of sinkers you can use on slip rigs and I like to use flat bank sinkers or spoon bank sinkers. One other thing I like to do with the sinker slide is attach my sinkers using a rubber band. I just slip the rubber band through the bank sinker hole and loop it over the sinker and attach it to snap on the sinker slide. If the bank sinker gets hung up I just snug up the line and the sinker will break off at the rubber band and all I have to do is hang on a new sinker. It works great and saves you fishing time by not having to retie the entire rig.

So yesterday after I finished my spring time sinker inventory I’m looking at this big, heavy pile of No-Roll Sinkers in my Sinker Box that I find myself seldom using any more. That seemed like a pretty big waste of resources and I started trying to figure out how I could rig up those no-roll sinkers to fit on my Sinker Slides and on my 3-Way Rig drops. I just don’t want to have to run my main line through the no-roll and I needed a cheap and easy way to convert them to a hanging type sinker that would hook on my sinker slide snap or on my 3-Way Rig drop snap. Well I’m lying in bed thinking this thing through and I had a flash of genius. I just needed to use a length of mono to create a loop off the no-roll sinker that will hang on your sinker slide or 3-Way drop. Use a fairly light piece of mono (10 lb test or so) that will sacrifice itself if the sinker should get hung up so you can just break it off. This was just too easy. Here is how I did it:

Step 1: Cut about a 12 inch piece of mono (10 lb test should be adequate). Slide a bead on the line to about the middle point. See Step 1 photo

Step 2: Double the line up and slide it through the top of the No-Roll Sinker so that the bead stays at the top of the No-Roll. Now slide another bead onto one piece of the line coming from the bottom of the No-Roll. See Step 2 photo

Step 3: Double up the line from the bottom of the No-Roll and slide the bead up to the bottom of the sinker. Now tie a loop knot in the doubled up line leaving yourself a couple of inches from the bottom of the sinker. See Step 3 photo

Step 4: Snip off any excess line below the loop knot. Grasp the bead at the top of the No-Roll and lift it up to create a loop at the top of the sinker. See Step 4 photo

You now have a sinker with a loop that you can just hang on your Sinker Slide snap. It works just like any other bank sinker and allows you to quickly and effectively make use of any no-roll sinkers you have on hand.

You will find that they tie up very fast. I set up a little assembly line and tied up a bunch of hanging no-rolls in just a few minutes. I stored them right back in my sinker box and they are ready to go. I don’t have to order any sinkers until I have used up my inventory of no-rolls that I was never using.

Hope you find this tip useful. Good Fishing!!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Great idea and nicely written; very easy to understand what you did.
    I’ve used the sinker slides in the past but haven’t for a while.
    thanks,
    Jack

jigginjim
    Buffalo, MN. USA

while visiting africa, I came across two different sinker rigs they use to keep sinkers from moving. (1) use an egg sinker, place cut coat hanger thru hole, flatten egg sinker to 1/3 of orginal size. This gives the sinker flat areas to stop rolling. Another is to put small wires thru a bank sinker in a cross fashion, then been wires to face slide line. had worked well on rocky areas.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.