Cat Tip of the Day: Make a Homemade No-Snag Sinker

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I’m getting all the fishing equipment inventoried and ready for the upcoming cat fishing season. My sinker box already weighs about 50 lbs but I wanted to add a few No-Snag Sinkers for drifting and trolling. I’ve only got a couple of the Lindy No-Snagg Sinkers left and I visited an on-line store and the price tag on the Lindy No-Snagg Sinkers was $6 for 2 sinkers. WOW!! Sticker shock just about knocked me off my feet. Like a true river rat there is no way I’m paying $3 for a sinker that a big cat will probably wrap around the biggest log in the river within 5 minutes of getting that sinker wet. I know that with a little bit of ingenuity I can make a No-Snag Sinker just as good as the $3 one and for a fraction of the cost. How does 13 cents sound!!

I headed up to the local Lowe’s looking for a few good sized nails in the ¼ oz, 1 oz and 3 oz size. Lowe’s sells a big, ugly nail for 13 cents that weighs just about a perfect 1 ounce and an even bigger uglier nail that weighs close to 3 ounces. I bought a couple of each to practice on. I’m not talking rocket science here – I just took the high priced $3 sinker and reverse engineered the critter.

Here is how to make a No-Snag Sinker:

Step 1: Take a hacksaw (a reciprocating saw is easier) and cut off the nail head.

Step 2: Take a BFH – that’s a big hammer and beat the heck out of the cut off end of the nail to flatten it out or better yet flatten it out using a bench grinder.

Step 3: Drill a 1/8 hole or slightly larger hole in the flat part of the nail. Step 4: Put the nail in the vice and bend it into the No Snag shape – hit it with the BFH if you have to.

Step 5 Optional: Put about a size 1 or 1/0 snap swivel on your new sinker and take it fishing.

Total Cost: For the biggest 3 oz nail 45 cents; for the 1 oz nail 13 cents; for the ¼ oz nail nothing I had a box of 16 penny 3 ½ inch nails in the garage so I used them.

So go ahead and save some money and get out your aggressions at the same time by beating the heck out of some nails pounding them into No-Snag sinkers. These things will work great for drifting / trolling a nice hunk of cut bait.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Another great post. I owe you a couple for beers for the money you’ve saved me Steve!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Great idea but isn’t this more like a bottom bouncer? The Lindy version has a balsa wood top to help the weight “walk” along the bottom and keep it from snagging.

Your version does look like a great way to make bottom bouncers though, thanks for the post

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Follow Steve’s directions above, then add last nights wine cork to the top of the nail.

There isn’t anything a cat guy can’t do! Another nice one Steve!

wkw

The wine I can afford doesn’t come with a cork, BK.
    That is a good sinker idea tho.
    WKW

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Another great idea!! Thanks

Jami

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Just use a hunk of old cork off a broken rod that you may have lieing around.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

Follow Steve’s directions above, then add last nights wine cork to the top of the nail.

Interesting idea BK! Please post some pics of the finished product when you’re done. Make sure you wait a while after finishing the wine before you start up the grinder though

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hokey Dokey!

sivee
    Hudson,Wi. Locked out/ Croix

After reading this, i think my sinker box will gain 10 lbs. and save me enough to buy some good tasty beer..
    Very good alternative

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.