Ice Fishing Tip: Back-Up Power for Electronics

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

With 5+ inches of good ice on the St Croix it is time to go ice fishing. I made a quick evening ice trip down to Bayport to shake out my equipment and take advantage of a nice day to fish. Early ice means walking and my new Frabill Hideout portable worked great and is a nice sled for hauling the rest of my equipment. My electronics are working fine except for the batteries. I run a Marcum VS500 underwater camera and a Vexilar FL8 Flasher. They both work fine and even though there are new and better models out there I cannot justify the expense of updating when these both still do a good job. My trouble always seems to be batteries – the camera battery was dead as were my 2 old 7AH 12V backup batteries. The Vexilar battery worked OK for a couple of hours but it seemed to drain pretty fast. I was planning a trip to Fleet Farm to pick up a couple of standard 7AH 12V batteries and decided to rethink my whole battery situation and see if I could come up with a better approach.

With all my summer nighttime catfishing I’ve come to rely on a portable battery pack as a source of power for lights and other accessories on my boat. I’ve been using a Black and Decker Start It Jump Starter that is a 300 Amp battery with a built-in standard 12volt DC outlet. In the summer I use it to operate a 150 Watt power inverter that provides me AC power for my lighting options on the boat. Since I already have the Jump Starter available I decided rather than buying new smaller 12V batteries instead I would make a power supply cord to run my camera using the DC outlet from my jump starter. I also want to be able to use that power supply cord to run my Vexilar as back-up power should my Vexilar battery run out.

I pulled out my camera and vexilar and checked to see how they plugged into the existing battery connections. Both of them connected using a female disconnect terminal but they weren’t the same size. The camera used a 16-14 AWG connection and the Vexilar used a 22-16 AWG connection. I could use the power supply to run both units but I just needed two different wiring connections. I only plan on using the power supply cord for the Vexilar as an emergency back-up if needed – its kind of hard to hole hop hauling around an external power supply but if I was fishing out of my portable shelter the power supply cord would be a nice alternative power source.

Basically all I needed to do was to make a male terminal disconnect on the end of an electrical wire that comes off the jump Starter and that should supply the power needed to run either unit. I stopped at the local Ace Hardware and picked up 6 feet of red and 6 feet of black 16 amp electrical wire. I bought a pack of 16-14 AWG insulated Terminal Disconnects for the camera and a pack of 22-16 AWG insulated Terminal disconnects for the Vexilar. Then I made a quick trip to the local Radio Shack and bought a Car Power Plug 12 VDC with a 10 Amp fuse.

I decide to make a 6 foot power supply cord that would provide me the flexibility to place my power supply out of the way just about anywhere in my portable ice shelter. I started by taping the two cords together about every four inches or so to make it easy to handle and store. Then I attached the Car Power Plug to the ends of the two electrical wires (red cord in the + connection and black cord in the – connection). Then I attached a male insulated 16-14 AWG Terminal Disconnect to the other ends of the electrical wires. I inserted the red power supply male disconnect into the red female disconnect of the camera and the black male to the black female of the camera and then plugged in the Car Power Plug to the Jump Starter DC power outlet. I set the camera up and hit the “ON” button and presto we had power and picture. Looks like I solved my power question for the camera.

To make a back-up power supply for my Vexilar all I did was make a pig-tail harness that runs from the new power supply cord to my Vexilar. I took two 6 inch pieces of 16 amp electrical wire (one 6” piece of red wire for the + connection and one 6” piece of black wire for the – connection). I attached a 16-14 AWG female insulated Terminal disconnect to each end of the 6” pieces, one on the red wire and one on the black wire. On the other end of the 6” pieces you attach a male 22-16 AWG insulated Terminal Disconnect. Now to hook up the power supply cord to the Vexilar just plug the power cord larger 16-14 AWG male disconnect into the pig-tail’s larger 16-14 AWG female disconnect (red wire to red wire and black wire to black wire). Then all you have to do to complete the connection is plug the end of the pig-tail connections to the Vexilar – red wire to red wire and black wire to black wire.

A word of caution. If any of those connections should make wire to wire contact you could blow the fuse to the Car Power Plug. I make sure to hook everything up and ensure I don’t have any wire to wire contact before I plug in the Car Power Plug to the Jump Starter. I went so far as to insulate my connections. On the end of the black wires where I have Terminal Disconnects I slid a piece of unshrunk shrink connector over the wire before I crimped down the disconnect. When I connect the male to female disconnects I then slide that piece of shrink connector over the disconnects so that no wire to wire connections between the red and black wires will happen. I hope all that doesn’t confuse you – but it may save you a blown fuse.

I don’t know if this whole thing is more trouble than it is worth but I wanted to try something different after burning through a couple of 7AH 12V batteries each year and seeming to run out of power right when the fishing is getting good. I’ll let you know how this works out after I’ve tried it for a while. My camera is sure a lot lighter without the 12V battery sitting in the battery compartment. For those of you that don’t do a lot of hole hoping this might be a good power alternative to the small 12V batteries.

Good Fishing!!

fishinfool
    mn

Another suggestion would be to use a lawn garden tractor for your cameras and fishfinders if you are going to be gone long periods of time. they are not that heavy and will hold enough juice for a complete weekend that i know of , wont cost a dime if you already have a lawnmower too.

FF

fygr8

I have been using a jumper pack for the last two seasons while video trolling. The pack has 3 outlets allowing me to plug in with ease. I tried running off my boats cig lighter, but a small amount of engine feedback would show up on my camera and end up on the recorded segments. Having extra juice is needed when recording all day….especially on the ice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.