Cleaning fish with an electric knife.

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

From time to time the subject of cleaning fish with an electric knife comes up, and members would like to know how it is done. Jon Jordan and I (Mostly Jon!) put together this video on "How to filet a fish with an electric knife."

A picture here and a picture there is OK, but nothing tells the story like a video!

This technique works on panfish to pike! Keep this link handy for future reference, or hand it off to the younger generation so as that they can clean your fish for you!!

We hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ddWcNjEpno

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Hey Chris, I thought I’d let you know that the link to your video isn’t letting the video work. It says:
    The URL contained a malformed video ID.

It might just be a problem on my computer, but I thought you might want to check it out. Hope this helps and you get it running!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Disregard my previous comment- the link now appears to be working.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Hmmm almost makes me thing that I need to pick up an electric knife this year.

NIce video

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I need to add a fork to my cleaning kit. Will save some tense moments when ribbing the fish with cold fingers.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Great video.

I started using an electric knife three years ago. I’ve always struggled on walleyes with not losing all the meat on the bottom of the fillet or cutting through the rib cage. One thing I found that works well is turning the fillet over so the meat side is down and pressing down on the rib cage. It straightens out the rib cage so the cut can be straight and you are not digging into the fillet trying to get the entire rib cage and you don’t lose the bottom of the fillet. I’m probably an amateur when it comes to cleaning but it works great for me and I don’t get a funny look anymore from my dad for wasting meat.

larry_haugh
    MN

SLICK!!!!
    Small ones are the toughest.
    thanks for sharing

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The same method works great on sauger and walleye and white bass…
    Thanks for posting guys!

jigginjim
    Buffalo, MN. USA

You guys make that look so easy. I have a new item for my Cabelas shopping list. Checked out a cuople of the other videos The sauger tape was great, time to hit the river.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Hoh-Lee-Crap.

Damn.

Sh17.

A’aight, that just moved onto my “gotta have” list. Aside from everything else, I suddenly see the value for removing catfish fat pads _before_ cooking (yanno, that foamy brown crap under the skin that tastes like the inside of a bait bucket!)

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.