Crankbaits 101

• jason-cyboron
    Lincoln, NE

Crankbaits are stereotyped as an easy do-nothing fishing plug, “Just throw them out and reel them back in”. Well that couldn’t be any farther from the truth. There are many details you have to pay attention to and factors to consider when choosing and fishing with a crankbait.

Many of today’s high quality and Japanese crankbaits will run true right out of the box. Some of the lower end baits require some fine tuning to make them run straight. The general practice of tuning a bait is pretty simple. You can make a short cast and reel it in, or let out several feet of line out and gently pull the bait through the water. Carefully, watch to see if the bait is swimming on its side or veering off to one side or the other. To correct this slightly bend the eyelet on the bait in the direction you want it to go. The key is to make very subtle or minute changes in the eyelet. It may take several tries to get it running true and you’ll be glad you did.

Other considerations are the quality of the components such as the hook and split ring. I have found that many of the high quality baits are equipped with high quality components. Rarely do you have to change hooks or split rings. Often, changing the hooks increases my confidence. I know that I have rarely lost a fish while using Mustad Triple Grip or Gamakastu EWG hooks. Another reason to change hooks is to add some color, such as a red hook, to the bait. The split ring is just as important to the bait as the hooks are. In the past I didn’t pay attention to them. I’d just tie the bait on and go. I had break-offs from time to time while fighting a fish. I’d look at the end of the line and it appeared the knot broke. I started paying attention to the knot and noticed that it would often migrate around the ring until it fell into the split in the ring. I thought that had to be what was breaking the knot. I remembered hearing about some oval shaped split rings that Rick Clunn was endorsing at Bass Pro Shops. Several lure makers have started using these split rings. Since changing them I have not had any problems with the line breaking at the knot. With these split rings the split is on the long side of the ring so your knot is safe. Another bonus is the eyelet maintains contact with the solid portion of the ring instead of getting caught in the split area. This will also provide a better running bait.

There are a couple considerations in respect to the construction of the bait. You want a bait with a durable yet attractive finish. Most lure companies have this one covered. You may not be able to see it, but there is a big difference in the quality between a $5 lure and and a $15 lure. Where they differ is on the material they use. The higher priced lure manufacturers use plastic that is often a little thicker, which provides for a stronger bait. There are several Japanese manufacturers who have put a lot of engineering into their crankbaits. They use the very best techniques to apply the best finishes. Additionally, they send a limited supply of those lures to the United States, which is reflected in the price. There are a lot of knock-offs that provide an alternative to the higher priced lures. For the weekend angler the lesser of the two is fine. But when you are competing in a tournament against the best anglers out there you want to use the best lures can get. If you were playing golf with Tiger you wouldn’t use least expensive balls on the market. It’s the same with fishing. So pick a quality of bait that suits your needs.

The color of the bait has some importance as well, but maybe less than one would think. There are times that we try to match for forage base, or throw a lure that the fish can find. So there is some truth to color importance, but most of the colors offered are to catch the angler at the store. I like to keep it simple. I want to keep baits that will work at any lake. I stock my boat with lures to cover all depths, but keep my color selection pretty simple. There are three basic colors I favor. I stock light, natural colored baits as well as darker, natural colored baits. I’ve found that chartreuse baits are also a must. There are also a few others colors I use on specific baits such as crawfish colored wiggle warts.

Keep in mind that bass are opportunistic feeders. If an easy meal presents itself, bass find that hard to resist. That’s not to say they are always feeding. Crankbaits are a reaction bait. Meaning there is a very short amount of time to decide whether strike at the bait or not. Sometimes the color of the lure is important but many times any color of bait that suddenly appears in front of a bass will draw a strike.

When it comes to fishing with crankbaits you have to consider the color, the depth you want to fish, the type of cover is in the area, and the seasonal pattern. The size and shape of the crankbait and the bill size and shape have a lot to do with how deep the lure will dive, and what kind of action it gives off. If you want it to run 8’ deep you have to select one that dives to that depth. Are you fishing rock? Are there ledges or drop offs? Is there brush or timber in the area? What kind of vegetation can we get snagged up in? These are just a few questions you have to ask yourself. For each situation you not only have to choose the correct bait, but also line type, diameter, rod and reel combination and your retrieve you will use.

A couple keys to success with crankbaits are offering an attractive presentation for your given situation. You have to place the lure where the fish live. Often, that means you might get snagged up. If you’re not fishing where you can get snagged, you’re not fishing in the best locations. When you do get snagged up a lure retriever will pay for itself many times over. You have to get over your fear of losing a bait before discover how great crankbait fishing can be.

As you can see there is a lot more to it than just tossing it out there and reeling it back in. For many people that’s how you begin to learn the intricacies of crankbait fishing. If you are just beginning to use crankbaits, don’t get overwhelmed by all the options. Just keep it simple and you will do fine.

Look for future articles where I get more in-depth on these subjects:

Anatomy of a Crankbait

Lipless Crankbaits

Shallow Crankbaits

Mid-depth Crankbaits

Deep Crankbaits

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.