Homemade bucktails 101

• jeremy-liebig
    mpls

With the prices of gas, muskie lures, and fishing in general going through the roof I figured it’s a good time for a simple how to on creating your own muskie/pike bucktails. Not only will it save you $$$$$$, it will also reward you with the satisfaction of catching a fish on a lure of your own creation! In this article I will demonstrate how to create your own bucktail for a fraction of the cost of store bought lures. The coolest thing is if you do it yourself the possibilities are endless. All of the supplies listed can be bought for discount prices from such online component suppliers as Stamina, Moores Lures, Etc.

Let’s get this party started! Here’s a list of what you will need:

1) Knipex or other round nose pliers

2) Hook or wire cutter

3) Wire shaft (.51 -.62 preferred for big baits)

4) Spinner Blades

5) Clevises

6) Skirting material ( I make my own, although there are many options for pre-made)

7) Egg sinkers

8) Beads

9) Hooks and split rings (DUH!)

Take your round nose pliers, place the wire between the splines, and wrap the wire until it forms an " I support my Troops" ribbon shape (photo1). The more excess wire the better for step 4, I usaully leave about 2-3 inches on the end.Next, reinsert the pliers into the loop and the crease directly below and clamp down until the wire forms an almost right angle (photo 2). The next step can be a little tricky as far as getting a perfect loop! With the pliers still inserted in the actual loop, bend it back upon itself on the shaft side until it forms a semi- circle, then bend the short end of exposed wire to 90 degrees or so in order to twist like a clinch knot ( photo 3). Following this step I place the loop in a vise and twist the wire around usually 3 times or so ( photo 4)…If the wire is long enough it’s easily doable with your hands, shorter wire might require a needle nose pliers for the twist. Once twisted cut off with a hook or wire cutter ( photo5). Now you have the loop for the hook end of your bait!

Next step:

Add an egg sinker or two, as many as you see fit to appropriately weight your bait ( photo9) to the bottom of the shaft.. Follow this up with your skirting material of your choice ( photo 6) as there are many options. Flashabou, rubber, and hair are popular options (photo 7). Add a little more, followed by beads, clevises, and blades of your choice (photo8). Once this process is complete, return to steps 1-5 to create the same loop on the top end of the bait. Add a treble hook connected by a triple split ring and you’re good to go ( finished product). Make some baits, catch some fish, and most importantly have some fun! Good luck in the open water season!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.