Skinny Water Walleyes (in the lake)

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Each Spring and early summer on many northern lakes we are faced with finding concentrations of walleyes in very adverse conditions. This year is no exception as many lakes are exhibiting heavy weed kill from the prolonged ice and deep snow. James and I have been trying to collaborate a time to get together for this bite, but with difficult schedules, it just doesn’t come together that easy. So, here is a quick look at how I have been dissecting water and finding success on many northern WI. lakes.
    Where? Regardless of clear deep or shallow stained basin lakes, I’m on a quest to find one thing first. I want to locate the greenest, most lushest cabbage weeds in the lake that offers quick access to all the habitat needs of a walleye. At face value, multiple sections of weed beds can all look like they should be just stacked with fish….but nothing appears to be at home. There are multiple reasons why.
    During post spawn, the walleyes needs are changing. Food source is critical as they replenish their nutritional needs and obviously need to avoid being eaten themselves. With water temps often in the upper 50’s to mid 60’s, not all aquatic creatures are readily available yet. Rock bars will warm, but crayfish may not be out in abundance. Various minnows will be coming into spawn, and will often seek shallow cover to avoid predators. In addition to minnows, leeches, dragonflies, and mayflies will all begin to appear in abundance as the water temps rise through the mid 60’s – making skinny water very attractive for holding a large number of fish.
    As Spring progresses and gives way to early summer, so does the progression of intense weather patterns. The longer rays of the sun creates more radiant heat. The jet stream carries more moisture and unstable air. Plus the larger and intense swings between High and Low Pressure systems all dictate various movement patterns of walleyes.

These reasons above will aid me in eliminating water, even though some of the identified weed beds may offer greener or dense conditions. I look for classic summer locations that we are all conditioned to think of as “typical” walleye habitat. From there, I look for sharp breaks that will encompass key features. Rock bars or points, fast access to deeper water, and an adjacent weed flat – often available on or near an inside bend of a drop off. Though this may not always be the best location, it will often lend itself to identifying a pattern on a given body of water.
    After studying a detailed lake map and identifying these key locations, I finally take to the water. Many will take the approach of setting up camp on each of these spots and pounding them hard. I invest a little electronic time and take a closer look at these areas. On a given basin or sub-ecosystem, I may identify 3 or 4 locations that should host the habitat I am looking for. By making a few quick passes with the boat, watching my electronics will give me much needed detail. Submerged weedbeds that are not visual to the human eye may be sparse or very dense. They may be ready to emerge, or simply a victim of winter kill. After rating what I believe to be the healthiest location, I’m ready to start my presentations.

What to use? Anyone that spends any length of time with me knows I’m a crank bait fanatic. So no doubt the first rod I often grab will have one of four preferred cranks. Depth and weed density will most likely dictate my goto crank. If the best weeds are sparse, I’ll start with a billed crank like the Live Target Gizzard Shad (crankbait) or Rapala #5 shad-Rap. I like to position the boat to the outer edges of the weedbed and dissect it apart. Starting with the outer edges, and making my way into the heart of the bed. Deeper and thicker is always a goal in daylight conditions and I want to get a crank into the depth of the weeds. Naturally, a crank is going to hang on the weeds, and your presentation should use this to your advantage. Contrary to popular preference, I like braid and a fast action tip for “snappin” the crank off of the weed’s leaves. In most cases, strikes come as the crank sticks to the weeds, or the moment you rip it off.
    If I am having too much difficulty with the plastic bill digging into too much weed, I opt for a lipless bait. My favorite bait without question is the ½ oz lipless Gizzard shad by Live Target followed by Rapala’s Rattle Rap #5 Firetiger. The lipless baits give me much more versatility to “pitch” to holes in the weeds and maneuver through the lanes between clumps of weeds. A discipline I stress to people fishing with me is to NOT make the long casts that we often do. Distance will do not much more than increase the mass of weeds you will get hung up on. They key is to finesse that bait through and around the clumps of weeds.
    When the weeds are growing strong and near emerging; a crank bait just may not be the best offering. This is where my second rod is rigged with a 1/8oz or lighter jig and plastics. Pitching weeds is a reaction bite, and often live bait is simply way too much work! Posed on the bow, I begin to pitch every hole, nook, and cranny in the weeds I can identify. Just like tossing cranks, distance in not a friendly tactic. Precise and methodical pitching through the weeds like a surgeon will yield the best results. Very often, other fisherman passing by will assume I’m pitching for bass. Little do they know that the same form of presentation with a more appropriate bait will produce some of the best walleye fishing a lake has to offer.

My go to plastics is a surprisingly short list. BFT ringworms, moxies, and Pulse-Rs. The perception of Ringworms and Moxies being a “River bait” is purely a MYTH! Every year since my first exploration of ringworms has produced, and produced well. Color will always be a discussion of debate, and I believe a part of it ties into confidence. However, I don’t hit my favorite lakes without Electric Blue, Cotton Candy, Firecracker, and Oystershell. No doubt other color work and have their days. But after years of using this method, these colors have proven themselves to as an absolute must have bait.
    A final note on pitching plastics in the weeds – Again, I like braid when applicable with a 7’ or longer rod. My goal is to pitch to as many little holes as I can. Typically I’m giving a more vertical presentation as I pitch short range. I want a jig weight that will get me down through the weeds, but not so heavy that it is like chucking an anchor in. I want that slow fall to the bottom. I keep in contact with my jig at all times as most strikes come fast and instantaneous. I don’t spend much time on any one hole. Flip in, sink, slowly swim through or around the clump, and repeat. Then repeat again, again, again, and again.
    Lastly, is finding the sweet spot. Everyday hosts different conditions and the fish will respond accordingly. Some days will be the outer edges, some in the most shade, some shallowest, and so on. Patience is an absolute must to get them dialed in and pay attention to the details. Increase sunlight may drive them deeper or tighter in the weeds, mayfly hatch may bring them shallower, prop wash or boat traffic can turn them off. Keep an eye on what is changing and how they are responding and you will stay on top of the game.
    Good Luck – Randy

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Excellent read Randy, wish it was longer

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Absolutely great read. Always amazed at how much the right mind can put into something that many see as, simply fishing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Absolutely great read. Always amazed at how much the right mind can put into something that many see as, simply fishing.

Sometimes being so analytical can be a curse when you want to “simply fish”.

Thanks!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Great read! thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom!.

TripleA
    Blaine

I try to read all of Randy’s Posts. 100% PRO. High end experience based free tips for the average joe like me. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Randy good tips. I have been telling people for years about skinny water walleyes.

One night in July I hooked up with a 26″, 27″ and a 31″ on the same 3′ sandbar. The walleyes were pushing bait fish against the sandbar and destroying lures. I hooked up with them on a #8 Rattlin Rap in Orange Craw.

One thing to note that some of these bites have a super quick bite window. I have had less than 20 minutes of intense action then it is over.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thanks guys. Glad it was worth the time to read.

John, I agree with those nights when the stars all line up and a school of pigs are pushing bait like that is intense. Had a night on a local lake when coming back to the boat launch was like that. Under the street lights I could see the water boiling up again the rocks in 1 foot of water. At first I thought carp. Saw minnows scattering so I tossed a pop r in there. Went on a half hour walleye spree with walleyes on top water. Same thing with early July

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.