Are the \"Dog Days\" of summer here…?

• Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

I don’t think so! I relish the summer months here on Rainy Lake. When the other big walleye factories get tough, Rainy gets going. The reef bite is near or at full swing right about now. This is the time I make the switch from minnows to crawlers on jigs. I have been using the jig/crawler combo for what seems like forever, but I first experienced the magic on LOW about 20 years ago. Anyway, try about a 4 inch half crawler on a 1/4oz Crystaleyes head fro summer walleyes. They can be vertically jigged, but I prefer to cast if I can. The invention of the “spot lock” bow mount has made this tactic deadly even in a stiff wind. I don’t like to say much about it too often because it is flat out deadly on walleyes from Leech to Winnie, to Rainy and elsewhere. The key in part is to make sure the crawler is rigged straight (not curled half way around the bend of the hook). Can’t explain why but it makes a huge difference. Don’t be lazy when using this combo. Make sure the crawler is not too short and not too long and as straight as you can make it. Just like Jig Wormin Bass. The walleye bite this week has been excellent and might even get better! Thanks again Bruce for bringing the family up again to enjoy what Rainy has to offer!

Attachments:
    1. Jo-Nice-Walleye.jpg

2. IMG_0988-1.jpg

3. Double-Nick-Angie.jpg

4. Dad-Daughter.jpg

5. Bruce-2016.jpg

bigstorm
    Southern WI

great report! granted things will change, but I can’t wait to come up this year in early October

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.