Are Inverter Generator Fuel Extension Systems Universal?

• TMF89

I have a Sportsman 2200/1800 watt generator I bought from Home Depot on Black Friday last year. Near as I can tell, it’s pretty much identical to the Hondas and all the other 2000 watt generators out there. I’m interested in being able to get extended run time out of it, and it seems like the typical setup is a small marine gas tank with a extension hose ran down to the generator. Are these universal? Everyone I see has a disclaimer that it only works for certain models, but they all look fairly universal to me. It looks like a simple vacuum siphon system? If anyone has any advice or information, I’d appreciate it! Thanks guys.

Ice Cap

No don’t think they are. I went through the same thing when I bought my dual fuel Champion 2000 watt genny last year. Champion said it would void the warranty if I used one and the manufacturer of the auxilliary tank said it wouldn’t work anyhow. He didn’t seem to want to explain any further other than it just won’t work.

I like using propane more than gas anyhow to power the generator. Cleaner easier to start etc.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Near as I can tell, it’s pretty much identical to the Hondas and all the other 2000 watt generators out there.

I have read in several cabin/off the grid forums that the Honda cap size or thread pitch is specific to Honda.

Grouse

TMF89

Thanks guys, some further research I did supports what you’re saying. Unfortunately!

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

one thing about the Honda is it has a fuel pump some don’t.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.