My new toy!!

• Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Nice job with the ” On water interview ” !!!
    Congrats Matt on your 2nd place finish……stop by sometime when your up on the pond…..you know where I’m at! Maybe we can get out and wet a line….

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Here it is! The Bowtech Experience. Can’t wait to get it accesorized and to the range!

kooty
    Keymaster

I can’t decide what sight to go with. It will be either

G5

OR

Black Gold

I like where the tape is located on the Black Gold vs. the G5. However I like the fixed 3 pins. Also going to put a Rip Cord drop away rest on it.

Any thoughts?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Man all I got this year was a new string A real beauty Kooty

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Sweet looking rig! I will be putting the G5 on my new Mathews when I get it. Had a great customer experience with G5 last year. The male end of my magnetic quiver broke so I emailed asking if they sold a replacement part. 30 minutes later I got an email saying that they had shipped me both the male/female ends at no charge. In my mailbox two days later!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Nice bow, congrats…but you are cutting it pretty close to the opener to get it

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Quote:

I can’t decide what sight to go with. It will be either

G5

OR

Black Gold

I like where the tape is located on the Black Gold vs. the G5. However I like the fixed 3 pins. Also going to put a Rip Cord drop away rest on it.

Any thoughts?

I’ve used both sights, you can’t go wrong with either one. Both Great companies to deal with. Same goes with the Ripcord.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Already looks accessorized to me?

Very nice

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I would go with a QAD ultra rest. I have the ripcord now, and had to let down on a “big” buck last year. When I re-drew the arrow was between the rest and bow(partially my fault). Needless to say that big boy got away. The QAD doesn’t drop until you shoot which in my case would have saved my bacon. Just a thought.

Nut

bennyj
    sunrise mn

I wouldn’t put either sight on my bow.

Go Spot Hogg!

The rest should be a good one!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Quote:

I wouldn’t put either sight on my bow.

Go Spot Hogg!

The rest should be a good one!

Any reason for this?

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m shooting a Spot Hogg now and I really like. I just want to try one of these moveable sights. If I don’t like it, I’ll move my Spot over from the old bow.

Ya, won’t be shooting this one for archery opener, but I’ll have her dialed in for the SD opener in a few weeks.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I’ve had the rip cord and is a great rest, I personally would spend a little extra and go with the Qad drop away. I like the Qad better for the fact it won’t drop if I’m at full draw and need to let down.

As for sights I’m not much help, I use multi pin sights, such as tru glo micro Brite. This year I went with a Trophy Ridge hit man 5, peeled all the fiber optic out and replaced it With a brighter colors.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

That thing is SIC!!! Jealious!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Awesome bow man Can’t deny, big BowTech fan here

bennyj
    sunrise mn

Spot Hogg makes the best sight I have ever put on a bow. None of the fiber optics are exposed. They run threw the metal arm to the sight cased. So, if a twig happens to run across your sight you don’t have to worry about the fibers breaking. The wrap around the sight gathers a bunch of light. You will never have light gathering problems. You can customize the pin size and color for like 10 bucks.(well worth it In my opinion)

I have had that G5 and It broke the fibers. I liked it but the Spot hogg is just better built product. I liked the floating pin(g5) but its a very low percentage you are going to use the floating pin in a hunting situation. If you shoot 20 30 and 40 yards off the three pins. In the deer woods 40 yards is a long shot. It can be rather difficult to pull off a shot that far in thick cover. In a field that is another story but with the floating pin you have to have some time to range and make adjustments. I think the avg. shot is something like 20-25 yards. Chances are you will never use it.(Floating pin)

With just about any sight I think the holding devices are solid. Most sights when tighten down don’t move. Pin sizes, fiber length and configuration make the real choices in choosing a the right sight. Shoot small aim small. At farther distances the smaller pins will allow you to pick a better spot. Being able to pick the pins you want adds high value by giving you accuracy on targets far out. A .29 pin will cover a big spot at 20 yards vs. a .10 at 20 yards. You can really tell how much your are wiggling.

The Black gold single pin.

Yikes…….. For SD I would have at least a 5pin. Reasoning- you can make some far shots out in the prairie. A single pin would be hard to manage when the target can be at any distance in the field. Why put another variable in the shot? Why think about more than you have to? It is nice to have a clear field of view and less pin clutter but I think I would rather have and option of shooting further than having to let down and make an adjustment. Ok my pin is set at 30 I can cover from 25 to 35 yards. Yeah that’s a lot of ground but not on the prairie. If you are only gonna shoot 20-25 yards you are fine but arrow drop changes fast unless your are truly shooting a bow that shoots over 330. Most people don’t.

This is all an opinion. Spot Hogg is a well built and well lit sight. For a guy who hunts or shoots a bunch it is well worth the money.

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks for your thoughts Benny. All very valid points!!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Thanks for your insight Benny! It is always tough to pick something when someone just says “Pick this one”. But when they have several validated reasons why to pick a particular item over the other, then it makes the choice much easier.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

Looks nice Kooty.
    Another plus for the QAD is that you can change the cord without taking the “guts” of the rest apart. This feature is also nice if you have to cable tune and your cord is tied in, not that its a huge deal to cut your cord out and re-tie, but can be easier for minor tweaks.

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks man!!

john_steinhauer
    p4

The way I run my Qad is, I separate the strands 50/50 right under the serving then tie and mushroom it with a lighter. I’ll post a pic as well.

kooty
    Keymaster

Well Benny, you talked me out of my single pin infatuation. I’ve decided to go with a Spot Hogg Hunter in 7 pin configuration. I’m going to try the .010 pins. If I don’t like those tiny suckers for close range, I’ll send it in to get some .19 for the 20 & 30.

I’m headed to the local shop tomorrow afternoon to get the bow adjusted and get my new accessories installed. With any luck, I’ll have it dialed to 20 yards tomorrow afternoon. Get the rest of my pins set next week and be ready to start practicing so I can hunt with this bow come October in SD.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

I shoot that exact same sight Kooty. I love it. I like having the .01 pins all the way down.

Great looking bow too!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.