arrowa and broad heads

• little_g
    durand WI

I have seen a lot of questions on here about what the best set up is or why broad heads don’t fly true, usually resulting in more opinions than facts.
    The fact of the matter is every set up is different, but there are some good guidelines to follow such as: fletching, spine weight, and tip weight.
    I know no one wants to lose speed, but accuracy is the most important thing. That’s what really kills, not speed. So, when using a fixed broad head don’t be afraid to go to a bigger fletching so your broad head does not steer your arrow. Also, maybe go with a helical instead of strait or offset.
    Now for spine, if you are going to be off or on the border of two different spine weights go with stiffer. Once you are too light, not much can be done other than giving arrows away. Also, with stiffer arrows you can add weight to the tip of the arrow to weaken the spine to get perfect arrow flight; this is another reason broad heads fly differently than field tips.
    When I shot a compound bow I spent some time doing this and never had a broad head I couldn’t get to fly well. So when setting up your bow, don’t always go with what everyone else is using, go with what works. There is a lot of information on the net; use it to your advantage.
    Weight forward is a good thing to get good arrow flight but you lose flatter projectory. The less weight forward the flatter your arrow flight will be but a lot harder to tune and less forgiving. So when going out west and using mechanical broad heads for the longer shots, less weight forward may be a better option.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.