What is a Bowhunter?

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I saw this and knew I had to post it here.

What is a Bowhunter?

Well…between a delightful old man conjuring up memories of long ago hunts and a boy’s first bow, we find an unpredictable creature called a bowhunter. Bowhunters come in assorted sizes, but the all have the same creed: to spend as much time as possible outdoors.

Bowhunters are found nearly everywhere, stalking around swamps, sneaking through briar patches, and scouting deer tracks a month before the season opens. Mothers love them; sweethearts can’t understand them; the boss envies them, and heaven protects them.

When you are busy working, a bowhunter is thinking of lonely trails and a countryside painted with autumn leaves. When you want him to make a good impression all he can talk about is fletching an arrow and his favorite bow.

A bowhunter is a funny guy… in the woods he will happily eat last year’s candy bar and drink from any mountain stream, but at home his wife pampers his stomach. He likes long weekends, buckskin jackets, old apple orchards, logging roads, unposted land and questionable companions who are also hunters. Without thought of race, creed, or color, he likes people who hunt with arrows three months of a year and talk about it twelve.

Nobody else is so early to rise or so late to dinner. Nobody else can cram into one pocket an extra bowstring, waterproof matches, insect repellant, a bottle of buck lure, a faulty compass, an can opener, a red handkerchief, and two chocolate bars.

A bowhunter is an instinctive creature. You know where he is in spring and summer, but he’s hard to find in the fall… when he’s overcome by that primitive urge to roam free in the foothills and swamps with the hope of just one clear shot… to chase game with the ghosts of other hunters… from other times.

That’s all he really asks.

Unknown Author

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s a great poem Rob! Thanks for sharing!

lick

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

witte
    West Salem, WI

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks for sharing Rob!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Rob, that was the “voice over” prologue for the old Fred Bear hunting video series…
    I love that!

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

And that about sums it up. Thanks for sharing.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Guilty as charged

smfrost
    Minneapolis

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for bringing this back up to the top Stacie I missed this the first time it was posted. Very cool!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Wow you have to love that . That was great thank you

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.