Any interest in another GTG shoot?

• wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I cast cranks a lot. I use spinning gear, but I make sure I have a big spinning reel. I like the biggest size Pflueger Trion. I run this on a 7′ medium rod with a fast action tip.

I can cast all day long with that setup. The bigger spool allows line to flow more freely, and does make a difference. I have found that casting larger cranks all day with baitcasters tend to wear my arm out much faster.

I think the biggest factor is that I don’t have to cast that hard with the longer rod and the big spool. You will however get fatigued with either set up from reeling those big cranks in all day.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For the bigger cranks on wingies I would definitely suggest the baitcaster.

What style do you like best, low profile or round?

What is your general budget for this reel?

With a little additional info we should be able to get you dialed in with some good suggestions.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been very pleased with Pflueger. I think they are over-looked at times. I was at Cabelas Sat. and noticed they averaged a few bucks less then the comp.

Pflueger

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

The Quantum Energy PT Baitcasting Reel is a low profile reel with 7 bearings, I saw it at Cabelas yesterday for $139 after $50 rebate. For a round reel I like the Shimano Calcutta CT-200GTB but the price it more than you want to spend at $219 I suppose a guy could settle for the CT-200B at $189 but I think the extra $30 is worth having the 200GTB. The spool is ported for faster acceleration and lower weight. The 200GTB has 8 bearings verses 4 on the 200B.

That is just my two cents worth.

Richard

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks for the info! I have a few 5500 and 6500 Abu Garcia’s (round’s)and they work great for what I use them for (large baits). I would like to try out the low profile styles. Just looking for something that is user friendly in the wind. Was looking at the Garcia Revo S or something in that range… about 100 bucks+-. If I really like that style of reel then I would go and spend the money for something great but really just looking for a good and dependable and with the least chance of bailing up on me
    Also what lines seem to run best with these reels?? I usually have used power pro in the 30 (8lb di.)with the 5500 for casting. I have not had many problems with this line yet but really dont know if its the best for this presentation. Sure is nice for snapping snags out !! Thanks again for the help!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I understand it hard to bite the bullet when it comes to reel prices. I urge you to look at the low profile styles in $95-$135 range (or a bit more) The reason for this is you get a quality reel that is durable, will last a number of years, and is user – friendly. I see many guys buy lower end reels and hate them because they bought junk!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

I understand it hard to bite the bullet when it comes to reel prices. I urge you to look at the low profile styles in $95-$135 range (or a bit more) The reason for this is you get a quality reel that is durable, will last a number of years, and is user – friendly. I see many guys buy lower end reels and hate them because they bought junk!

BINGO

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I was wondering how many guys would be interested in another GTG sometime this spring again. I know I can get Rapids Archery Range reserved for us. Maybe see if we could barrow a few of the 3-ds for the target courses for us or atleast the 2-d animal targets.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My calendar is getting pretty swamped already, but I’d love to attend if we figure something out.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Where is Rapids ??? As in Coon Rapids ????

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yes G. And I would be interested in getting together!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I was just throwing it out there. I know I could reserve the building at Rapids archery club for us too. And put up some decent targets more than likely. Just have to ask at one of the club meetings. If not I know we can just take over and shoot the courses like that last one we had. And it’s only 3 buck to do that. But most likely that let us put something together. Yeah it’s in Coon Rapids off of Hanson and 133rd ave. By the compost site and sheriff’s office.

stick_n_string
    Royalton, MN

I’m new here and I’m not sure what a GTG shoot is. I do attend there other shoots and there great. Could someone clarify.

big_g
    Isle, MN

GTG is a Get together…. a bunch of us pick a time and place and have some fun They are fun Welcome to IDO

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

SNS,

Late last Summer we had a Get To Gether down in the SE metro. A bunch of us from the site got together and shot an archery course, grilled after and talked about the direction of the site. Just a chance to meet some people from the site that we talk to each day and a chance to put a face to the name!

It was a ton of fun. I’ll talk to Paul (Life), Brad and see if we can not do something similar in the Spring.

les_welch

If you guys would be intersted in traveling 90 minutes. We could use our course, and clubhouse. Has running water, electricity, fireplace, plenty of room for 30-40 people inside. 38 Rineharts sitting on 40 wooded acres. Plus a great practice range with bunkers to 60 yards.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

If you guys would be intersted in traveling 90 minutes. We could use our course, and clubhouse. Has running water, electricity, fireplace, plenty of room for 30-40 people inside. 38 Rineharts sitting on 40 wooded acres. Plus a great practice range with bunkers to 60 yards.

I’d be willing to drive down to that. Sounds better than our club. We have them but they are in the Garage and need to be put out in the spring. And I’d have to set em up for our shoot plus get the ok from the club. Either way though we have foad 2-d’s out all the time for hunter league.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Where u guys at Les?

les_welch

We are just outside of Eau Claire, basically a 65 minute drive, East of Hudson.

I also would have to put the targets out, but not a big deal. I do it a dozen times a year now!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can help setup/tear down if I can make the shoot.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Quote:

We are just outside of Eau Claire, basically a 65 minute drive, East of Hudson.

I also would have to put the targets out, but not a big deal. I do it a dozen times a year now!

Les

At Eau Claire Archers? If so they have had the capacity to hold State and Sectional tourneys there, a very nice place to shoot.

Either way if my schedule permits I would be game to get together again this spring.

Jeff

les_welch

Jeff,

This would be the Chippewa Bowhunters Range, about a 15 minute drive from the EC archery range.

sorgy
    Southwestern PA USA

I enjoyed the shoot last summer. A great time for sure
    Let’s Do it. Rapis works well for me but I also love a road trip.

Later

Steve

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Quote:

Jeff,

This would be the Chippewa Bowhunters Range, about a 15 minute drive from the EC archery range.

I have heard those folks put on a great 3D event every year, I think they are listed on the Chippewa Valley Card for events. Either way I will be game for getting together and having some fun or even just visiting with everyone. I hope I don’t have any conflicts when the date is set.

Jeff

corey_waller
    hastings mn

if Im free Im in. let me know when we set a date

bustumup

I’m up for it. Just need to know when & where.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Gee, if it’s in Chippewa then I think I could make that one!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Well heard back from my club. Can’t use the 3-ds or the 2-ds just the paper. I know I’m game to go to Chippewa being the little lady is from Eau Claire. Plus we’re moving there next summer so it would be nice to see a new place to shoot when I move. So whats do people think Rapids courses with just the paper or Chippewa with 3-d?

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Just a suggestion, what about having the GTG on May 2nd at Rapids? The Rapids Archery Club is having a 3D shoot that Sunday already. They always have a nice set up and it wouldn’t involve any work for us to coordinate club resources or set up / tear down.

It would be more costly though. Their shoots run $15 for 30 targets and there would be many other shooters there than any other weekend we choose. Like I said – it is just a suggestion.

whittsend

Living in Fall Creek, I could easily make it to Chippewa if I’m free on the chosen date… I need a good warm up for Newfoundland, anyway!!!

Mike

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.