Tree Stand Safety Systems – Why you don’t like wea

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sorry for the confusion Mendotaeye, but the linesman belt with the prusik knot is what I use when I’m in the tree and what I was referring to above. I don’t usually use the strap, so I’m not that familiar with it. But will have to break it out and check it out and see what you are talking about. I believe the instructions state that you may use the linesman belt while hanging or hunting from the stand. Perhaps give that a whirl, I found it way easier.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

If I have a strap in every tree, I can just clip in when I get there

I do this in some trees also.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Yesterday I was hanging a stand that was spooking me a bit as it was one of the crooked climbing crawling deals but the only decent tree for the area. I was using the linemans belt to instal steps and stand and once I got to the top I just secured the linemans belt in place of the strap while I rested…wondering why I even carry that huge strap with the clanking buckles when the linemans belt/rope works just as well or even better as it is lighter and easier to pack in.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yep Johnny! That linemens belt is the way to go!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

The beauty of the Muddy Outdoors safety harness system is that you’ve got the option to use one or the other as both come in the kit. I’ve been using this now on at least a dozen or so hunts, and I cannot believe how much better this system is compared to the standard harness systems that come with a treestand!!! It’s a piece of gear I actually look forward to using because of how slick it is, and how much better it works than what I was used to using.

As for securing yourself to the tree, for me it’s easier to have straps on every tree I hunt, then just clip on to the strap with the provided caribeaner on the back of my harness system. As for the lineman’s belt, I can see how that would be useful for several of my stands. If you have to contort to one side or the other, partially or mostly turn, or stand-up/squat-down to get the right shooting angle, I think the lineman’s belt would be more forgiving.

That said, the Muddy Outdoors belt and the strap on the back is longer than any of the other safety systems I’ve used, almost always giving me more than enough room to maneuver.

Joel

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I finally found the answer for hooking up to the tree with my hunter safety system vest – nice adjustable length for ease of movement when turning and drawing back the bow and very quiet. I love this compared to the standard tree belt with the noisy buckle – one tip put a drop of bow oil on the carabineer threads to get rid of the dry thread squeak.

This really works awesome!

Quote from Cabalas on the new tree rope from Hunter Safety Systems

Attaching your harness to a tree just got a whole lot quicker and quieter. The attached Prussic knot slides freely for fast adjustments. A locking carabineer adds safety and convenience. Lets you adjust your distance from the tree precisely, while providing reliable safety and freedom of movement with the 8’ long. rope

Jeff

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I finally found the answer for hooking up to the tree with my hunter safety system vest – nice adjustable length for ease of movement when turning and drawing back the bow and very quiet. I love this compared to the standard tree belt with the noisy buckle – one tip put a drop of bow oil on the carabineer threads to get rid of the dry thread squeak.
    This really works awesome!

Quote from Cabalas on the new tree rope from Hunter Safety Systems

Attaching your harness to a tree just got a whole lot quicker and quieter. The attached Prussic knot slides freely for fast adjustments. A locking carabineer adds safety and convenience. Lets you adjust your distance from the tree precisely, while providing reliable safety and freedom of movement with the 8’ long. rope

Jeff

Thanks for the tip Jeff. What type of bow-oil do you recommend? What do you use, and where do you get it?

Joel

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I had an old bottle of oil labeled for bows, more than likely it’s some type of food grade cooking oil – you don’t have any petroleum oil smell to speak of that way, and for this application it was only a small drop that was needed and it makes a big difference

Jeff

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

FYI, your link to Muddy outdoors is not working for me?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A gentleman I golf with throughout the summer has a son-in-law in a wheel chair due to a fall from his stand. The story of his 14 year old son finding him and getting him air lifted out was enough to make me realize just how important a safety harness is. I’ve always worn them, but that was back in the day of them being a belt, not “system”.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I ordered mine today.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I always wear them in the stand too but they wont help you when you are most likely to fall. Climbing up or down. Once I’m in the stand there is no chance of falling unless of structural failure.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

but they wont help you when you are most likely to fall. Climbing up or down.

Not true Mike. There are a few different ways you can set it up so you are tied in the whole climb or descend.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Then I will be to blame because I wont be tied to anything climbing up and down. I need a ladder stand for gun. Mine too dangerous. One of these days…

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

Not true Mike. There are a few different ways you can set it up so you are tied in the whole climb or descend.

I use mine when using my climbing stand or I don’t go up anymore. Years back I was going up a old aspen tree that had a lot of the hard black bark on it that I now call black death. This was the days before good climbers and safety harnesses and I am happy I came through it. I was climbing up the tree when the bottom slipped and sucked me right out of the top section before ratcheting me down the tree in three foot increments before dumping upside down and falling on my bow and back quiver. I am still surprised I didn’t break my neck but it did lay me up for a week and ended my hunting season.

Now I simply move the strap up and make two climbs then move the strap up so on and so forth. At first I thought it was taking to long to climb but then I realized it slowed me down and actually forces me to climb quieter and safer.

I also have a few of the rope set-ups that you attach to the tree and the base of a ladder stand that climb with you for my bear hunting clients, they actually work pretty good.

I found with a longer rope or tether is if you fall out of a climber there is no getting back on the climber. I actually spent one morning falling out of my stand in the front yard from three feet up. I figure I wanted to know what to do if it did happen. A few things I learned was those legs straps will end any future children and if the tether is to long or set to low there is no getting back in, better hope you can reach a cell phone and you have service or you are stuck trying to use the suspension relief that is much harder to use then excepted. I now set my tether high enough so I when I sit down it just starts to gain tension, I found this gives me plenty of room to move for shots and I am leaning out to shoot a 60” traditional bow. I am going to stick with my short tether/tree strap, plus coming to the end of a three foot strap is bad I couldn’t imagine the jolt from any thing longer.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Thanks for sharing some very good information Johnny

I really like the idea of the climbing rope from the ground to the top for stands pre-hung or trees selected for using climbers, a real good example is when (Barry ) who was mentioned at the very beginning falling because as he reached into his stand in the darkness of the early morn got in contact with a porcupine and passed out and fell. Well this last Sunday morning my daughter is climbing up a climbing stick set up on a white pine and right when she reached the top and was about to step into the hang-on an owl at that moment decided to burst out of the pine that was perched real close to the hang-on, luckily Jessica didn’t fall from being startled or scream. I was at the bottom making sure she was set and it actually it startled me and I was on the bottom but she could of easily jolted and lost her balance or grip

Thanks for some great info

Jeff

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Being tied off or secured on our climb up or down the tree can be a real pain in the butt and inconvenience , but looking at the alternative, maybe not such a bad idea after all. There is no question that I’m not as young, athletic or nimble as I once was.

Perhaps I need to look into coming up with ways to be more safe getting in and out of my tree. I am proud that I can say that this year is the first year I have worn my safety Harness every single time I have been in the tree filming or hunting. So I have made great strides ensuring my safety and giving my wife and family a better feeling every time I step into the woods.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

There is no question that I’m not as young, athletic or nimble as I once was.

I hear that…hence the harness.

I used to pull myself up limbs and sit in a seat made of telephone wire. Now I grumble if my cushion gets crooked or the seat hieght is off and my knees hurt.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

There is no question that I’m not as young, athletic or nimble as I once was.

I hear that…hence the harness.

I used to pull myself up limbs and sit in a seat made of telephone wire. Now I grumble if my cushion gets crooked or the seat hieght is off and my knees hurt.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Bump to the top, Great Safety subject and data here!

brunowfo

Some real good info here guys thanks for all the opinions and thoughts. I’ve gone back and forth with using my harness. Sometimes do and sometimes don’t . I think being comfortable is important but being safe is better. I’ll be shopping for a new one for this coming season. Muddy is looking pretty good.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

With my young family I thought it time to go get a system so I got the hunter safety system. It’s so easy and I find the peace of mind to be comforting in the tree. The extra pockets in the vest are a great bonus!

Viewing 22 posts - 31 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.