Tree Stand Safety Systems – Why you don’t like wea

• jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Why you don’t like wearing one?

First off this thread is not intended to put you on the spot to be ridiculed and called a dumb ###

The intent is to see why many folks avoid wearing one and because of the reasons why, could be used and debated on as far as improving these devises so down the road you yourself may see your dislikes corrected and used and improved to save someone’s life.

I could see stuff as simple as – the vest being too small, takes too long to get into- having to wear it inside of jacket- odor issues-noisy- cost factors remember your worth more than $100.00 to your family don’t fool yourself. Buckles clanking when trying to be stealth hooking up to tree, etc

Let’s see what surfaces

Good Luck Folks this year

Jeff

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great reminder Jeff.

I started out trying to wear the Hunter Safety System Harness. I bought two of them one for me and one for the Misses. However, I found myself not wearing it because of many factors. The biggest being it was heavy, bulky, noisy, and not real easy to put on and stay quiet. I then found the Loggy Bayou Transformer System and it was none of the above, so I started wearing it more. Still not as much as I should but around 75% of the time last year. They no longer make that system, so this year I will be wearing either the Loggy or perhaps Muddy Outdoors Safeguard System. IMO these two are very similar and both great systems in my opinion.

CLICK HERE to check out the Safeguard System by Muddy Outdoors. This system only weighs 1.9 lbs. I think one of those buckles from the HSS weighed that much. I’m a believer in the Muddy products and I currently use quite a few. I have a Muddy Ladder stand, a hang on stand, and their camera arm(best camera arm on the market for the price IMO). This year I will be trying out their Safeguard Harness Safety system and perhaps their ladder sticks.

Now I just need to wear it 100% of the time rather then 75%. My Drenalin Gamehide jacket also has a zippered opening on the upper back where the strap comes out so I can wear my harness under my jacket and allow me full use of the pockets on my jacket, which is a big deal to me.

lick

i dont wear one because 90% of the time im in 15 ft ladder stands that are about impossible to fall out off but the other 10% well …..

jeff_hansen

I used to skip wearing a harness because of the fact that they were cumbersome, a pain to connect once up in the stand, and it cost me a heck of a nice buck because it caught my string while making a shot. After having a close call at 20 ft. I started researching and found the Loggy Bayou Transformer. It’s easy to put on and fits under my Scent-lok so that I barely notice it. I also started using the rope attachment system with the prusik hitch to connect to the tree and I wear it all the time. I’ve got a great wife and kids that like to see me come home at night.

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

I too struggled with safety straps until I found the Loggy Bayou one! It is very easy to strap on and makes very minimal if any unwanted noise. I now wear my safety strap 100% of the time in the tree…like everyone that values their life should!! I was just up in Northern WI this past weekend and overheard a guy talking about his buddy who had to be airlifted to a hospital in the Twin Cities because he fell out of a tree while setting up stands! It made me sick to my stomach and reminded me how lucky we all are that so many companies now make products tailored to help save lives!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Great reminder Jeff.

I started out trying to wear the Hunter Safety System Harness. I bought two of them one for me and one for the Misses. However, I found myself not wearing it because of many factors. The biggest being it was heavy, bulky, noisy, and not real easy to put on and stay quiet. I then found the Loggy Bayou Transformer System and it was none of the above, so I started wearing it more. Still not as much as I should but around 75% of the time last year. They no longer make that system, so this year I will be wearing either the Loggy or perhaps Muddy Outdoors Safeguard System. IMO these two are very similar and both great systems in my opinion.

CLICK HERE to check out the Safeguard System by Muddy Outdoors. This system only weighs 1.9 lbs. I tink one of those buckles from the HSS weighed that much. I’m a believer in the Muddy products and I currently use quite a few. I have a Muddy Ladder stand, a hang on stand, and their camera arm(best camera arm on the market for the price IMO). This year I will be trying out their Safeguard Harness Safety system and perhaps their ladder sticks.

Now I just need to wear it 100% of the time rather then 75%. My Drenalin Gamehide jacket also has a zippered opening on the upper back where the strap comes out so I can wear my harness under my jacket and allow me full use of the pockets on my jacket, which is a big deal to me.

Rob:

I REALLY like the idea of that Gamehide Drenalin jacket. For years i’ve struggled to keep these straps just as scent-free as my hunting clothes, and it’s a pain. To be able to cover them up with the clothing would keep any scent from those to a minimum I’m guessing? Plus it promotes use of one through actually being able to get to your pockets and gear.

I’ve modified the ones I get with treestands by adding a climber-rated carribeaner to the back strap. That way, I use the same harness system each time, and just clip it to a pre-attached belt I secure above the seat of each treestand I hang.

I like the sounds of the Muddy setup. I’ll have to check into that more.

Joel

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I have had the original hunter safety system from years ago, it is a little bulky, lack of all the pockets forced me to wear in under my jacket, the length of the belting that attaches to the tree strap seemed short for trying to maneuver into a shot so I had a 2’ extension added, I always hated the fact that you would end up pulling that strap thru your jacket when getting out of your hunting cloths thus all the trapped odor was now being introduced to the strap that’s later going to be hanging there like a scent wick even though you sprayed it, and the tree strap no matter how stealth you are that dang buckle likes to clang some when setting up or getting out. The loop on the lower back used for dragging deer didn’t last long – you ease down on the seat and clunk so that went real fast.

I now spent the big bucks and got the mesh version in a X-Large hoping to be able to wear it on the outside,” and more often”, you should of heard my little wifey when I was mumbling about maybe wearing it more if I had one that fit better and trying to justify the $140.00 for maybe seeing an improvement.

Keep up the great discussion

Jeff

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I own at least 10 different safety harnesses and still don’t like to wear any of them. Biggest reason is they are difficult to put on in the dark, they are uncomfortable in the stand and some weigh a ton.

However, I’ve promised my wife that I will wear one every time that I’m on stand this year and forever!

So….after researching, reading and trying on several different styles and brands, I’ve decided to go with the Muddy Outdoors Safeguard Harness

At 1.9 lbs it’s the lightest safety harness system on the market. It comes with a tree strap, linesman rope, suspension relief strap and a has some handy binocular holders. I saw this at the MN Deer Classic last March and was extrememly impressed.

I’m about to put an order in for one. If anyone else is interested in this product, send me a PM. They sell for $109.99 or in lost camo for $119.99. I plan on putting in a bulk order to save some costs on shipping.

Loggy Bayou here as well! A few years ago, I seldom used a saftey harness for all the reasons mentioned above. When I started participating in some metro hunts here in MN, they required the use of a full body harness after a guy was found dead hanging from a tree.

The majority of members I met reccomended the Loggy Bayou harness, and I have to agree. It’s also nice to have the piece of mind that comes along with wearing it. Once less thing to worry about IMO.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yep the Go Muddy Harness in Lost Camo will fit nicely with my GAMEHIDE Drenalin Jacket! The zippered back slit accommodates safety harness, keeping noisy buckles and straps off your neck and inside your jacket. Count me in Brad. The Loggy and GO Muddy are awesome, light weight, quiet, not bulky and you don’t even know you have it on. I would highly reccomend either one. I do use a little longer rope then I should but it gives me the little extra freedom in the stand. Joel, a few of my set ups are just like yours I alls I have to do is clip in to me pre set belt around the tree.

The Prussic knot rocks!

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Ouch that does not look good, great point.

My philosophy on my own safety vest/harness is very simple: I’m not real bright and very hyper active, I need to wear the vest to prevent nature selection from occurring.

jeff_hansen

A buddy of mine took an extra step since his son was going to start bowhunting this year and I’ll probably do the same once my kids start climbing into stands. He uses a long rope connected to the tree above the stand and also at the bottom. There is a sliding prusik (sp?) knot at the bottom to clip into and you slide it up as you climb the tree. Kind of a pain I know, but hopefully it will insure a safe ride up… and down.

muskybones

i just want to say the cost. i don’t want to go pay $50 for something. but that is the most 15 year olds think. i know i need one. they on i got is a cheap peace of clothe that you put around your waist. i plan to get one but i don’t know if it will be this year unless anyone i can find a good one for cheep

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Sorry to hear about your accident Darrin. Hopefully it will persuade everyone who reads your post that a safety harness is the most important thing that you can take with you in the woods.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

There is a sliding prusik (sp?) knot at the bottom to clip into and you slide it up as you climb the tree. Kind of a pain I know, but hopefully it will insure a safe ride up… and down.

For the folks that don’t know much about theses because they are slowly starting to be popular. Does anyone have some good pictures or link to reference to.

I might be wrong but there’s a large number of falls that are related to climbing up and into or out and down versus out of the stand.

I know of a individual (Barry Gruen ) who was a very hard core big buck hunter that was his life and he was good, until one morning he was reaching into his stand to climb in and was nailed be a porcupine- panic and being dazed by the toxin of the porcupine guills, he passed out before getting down and laid there helpless for almost a day.

Now today he tries very hard to maneuver rifle hunting, he has to hunt out of his van so things can be very limited he has hardly any use of his hands and the animals pretty much have to stop in a given area because his range of motion to be able to make a shot is practically none.

Picture what we love most practically sucked right out of you. I see the pain in his face every November.

Every one of us today are as aggressive as he was (was) because that was his life. In a split second no matter how good or careful or lucky we may be. Life can spin in a new direction. Barry’s not a close friend at all but I do take the time to make sure that he is able to enjoy some of what we all take for granted every rifle season, because his days with a bow are gone. Note; I’m not a hero or sort, I’m just saying the new ground to stand safety lines would of possibly saved his predicament and allowed him to be here maybe chatting about the next buck of the year

Just some of my thoughts

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

There is a sliding prusik (sp?) knot at the bottom to clip into and you slide it up as you climb the tree. Kind of a pain I know, but hopefully it will insure a safe ride up… and down.

For the folks that don’t know much about theses because they are slowly starting to be popular. Does anyone have some good pictures or link to reference to.

I might be wrong but there’s a large number of falls that are related to climbing up and into or out and down versus out of the stand.

I know of a individual (Barry Gruen ) who was a very hard core big buck hunter that was his life and he was good, until one morning he was reaching into his stand to climb in and was nailed be a porcupine- panic and being dazed by the toxin of the porcupine guills, he passed out before getting down and laid there helpless for almost a day.

Now today he tries very hard to maneuver rifle hunting, he has to hunt out of his van so things can be very limited he has hardly any use of his hands and the animals pretty much have to stop in a given area because his range of motion to be able to make a shot is practically none.

Picture what we love most practically sucked right out of you. I see the pain in his face every November.

Every one of us today are as aggressive as he was (was) because that was his life. In a split second no matter how good or careful or lucky we may be. Life can spin in a new direction. Barry’s not a close friend at all but I do take the time to make sure that he is able to enjoy some of what we all take for granted every rifle season, because his days with a bow are gone. Note; I’m not a hero or sort, I’m just saying the new ground to stand safety lines would of possibly saved his predicament and allowed him to be here maybe chatting about the next buck of the year

Just some of my thoughts

Well said Jeff, this stuff is important! Very sorry to hear about your buddy, and congrats for taking him out like you do.

I think most of us who’ve hunted long enough have either fallen out themselves or know people that have. I fell out when I was 16, luckily from a stand that was only 12-15ft. up. I’m the luckiest guy in the world…..fell asleep, then headfirst out of the stand, did a flip of sorts and landed flat on my back/butt in a pile of leaves/soft soil. I laid there for awhile, stood up, and walked away. Unbelievable even to me now. I was really sore for a long time, but no major anything.

As for the safety mechanisms and prusik knots, arborists who climb everyday for a living have been using these and other really cool ascending/descending devices for years.

Here’s a quick link to a place where I get all my cool tree nerd gear:

http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catID=26

Joel

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

JDX – Thank you for starting this post. It has some very valuable information in it!

I’ve only fell out of a stand once and it was when I was putting up a deer stand in a hurry so I could hunt out of it that night. Luckily there was deep snow and I was not hurt.

How many of you wear a safety system when you are putting up deer stand or taking one down? I believe many accidents occur here as well.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

How many of you wear a safety system when you are putting up deer stand or taking one down? I believe many accidents occur here as well.

Thats the main reason I bought it. Always end up with one leg wrapped around the tree, the other knee wedged against a branch while one arm clings for dear life and the other holds the stand and you work the strap with your teeth. Now I just use the linemans belt and the harness, much safer and easier.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I don’t wear one, would like to, but being 6’5″ 350 I have yet to find one that fits me and is over 250lbs…if anyone knows of any let me know as my wife would sleep much better when I am hunting…also if any company wants to cater to good portion of hunters that would be a good size to go after…

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wade, The Go Muddy is suppose to fit up to 300 lbs, 6′-7″ and 44″ waist. I realize this may not reach the warranted weight but at least if it fits it will possibly hold up and help you in a possible fall??????

http://www.gomuddy.com

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

WOW how you know and find out this information is amazing I will be checking one of those out.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Like I said I have been a fan of Go Muddy for a couple years now since they are fairly new to the Hunting market. I look often at their site and new products.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Dang 4 days before the Wisconsin opener and a local hardcore bowhunter who works at the pro-shop falls from his stand. I was told today that he fell from his stand late yesterday and suffered a broken collar bone, broken wrist and a concussion from a hard hit to the head. He’s still in the hospital and they are looking at surgery procedures.

BBushy
    Moorhead, Minnesota

Hey Guys,
    I’ve been guilty off not wearing a safety harness period
    while in my stand. Sometime I would wear the standard safty
    belt that came with my treestands. As I’m getting older in
    age at 31 I think I should start looking into these.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Brent, I highly suggest the Go Muddy! Pick one up when you get your stand!

GO MUDDDY Harness

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Dang 4 days before the Wisconsin opener and a local hardcore bowhunter who works at the pro-shop falls from his stand. I was told today that he fell from his stand late yesterday and suffered a broken collar bone, broken wrist and a concussion from a hard hit to the head. He’s still in the hospital and they are looking at surgery procedures.

Very sad to hear about this news. I hope the hunter recovers and is able to get back into the tree. One never thinks that it can happen to them and this is a reminder for all of us.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sorry to hear the bad news Jeff.

The good thing is it looks like he should make a decent recovery as it could have been worse.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Just ordered my go muddy five minutes ago!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Mendotaeye,

I ‘m really curious as to what you don’t like about it?

I guess I’m on the other side of the fence and LOVE that design. It is the design many of the top tree stand manufacturers (Lone Wolf, Muddy, and I think API) use this design and now the Hunter Safety System has adopted it also. It is a classic Climbers design. I have been using that sort of tree attachment for 4 years now. I like the ease of attaching to the tree and my harness, along with the lightweight and quietness of the system. It is adaptable to just about any tree and with the prusik knot it is very easy to adjust the height, etc on it. I think it is aweosme in application.

Do you not like it because it is different or you are not familiar with it or some other reason???

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.