Archery Advice

• Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

My 9 year old daughter shot a bow for the first time at the Dakota county fair & nailed the red circle with all three arrows. Which was great but she has asked dad for a bow & of course I know nothing about bow or arrows or who would make a good one. Any advise for me would be great.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I do not know alot about youth bows, but make sure you get one that is adjustable in both draw length and poundage to make sure that the bow can grow with your daughter for a few years.

I would go to a local shop and look at the youth bows that are availble. Mathews makes one that fits everyone called the Genisis. This could be fun for the whole family. Good luck.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I assume, it was just a plastic recurve at the fair ??? I would say get her a recurve. If she is instinct shooting like that at 9, you could have a future Olympian on your hands

big G

spd800
    NW Metro

I second the Genisis. Both my boys shoot it (5 & 8 yrs old).

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

for a nine year old i would just gether a small recurve to plink around with untill you see if she is gonna like it. It realy wouldnt make a difference what brand for right now

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I work at an archery shot in Stillwater and we sell the Mathews Genesis in different sizes for all ages pretty much. Also, if she is begging you to about bow hunting or the subject, I know Parker makes a bow or two that will replace the entire cam system, strings, and cables for $50 as your child grows. Not a bad investment until she is ready for a Hoyt or G5

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I would advise a recurve as well. I think that it is very important to learn the fundamentals first. The recurve will do that for you. They are fair priced and I think there are more archery events for childer who shoot the recurves.
    Besides you want her to compete in the 2012 games right?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Good responses!
    Here is my opinion…unless other family members are going to join in, I would opt for the inexpensive recurve. They generally come in a set with a tab, a few arrows target etc…
    The Genesis is a great tool but a lot bigger dollar investment for a nine year old that may or may not stick with this.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Thanks for the input guy’s I’m leaning toward a Genesis because Mom & all 3 daughters want to shoot. I just got a bow for my self, so we are going to make it a family event.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I just got a bow for my self, so we are going to make it a family event.

Now we are talking. Get the whole family involved.

Congrats to you Mark.

les_welch

Three options all which have pro’s and con’s.

Mathewes Genesis
    Browning Micro-Midas
    Bear-Brave

I just bought my 4 year old the Brave, as he is not big enough for either the Genesis or the Micro-Midas. The Midas is very adjustable, and legal to hunt with, where the Genesis is not. WTA

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

The Genesis is not designed to hunt, but was created for the NASP(national archery in the schools program) leagues. Only can shoot targets with it. But i guess if you want to try it out on a rabbit or squirrel possibly you could kill one with a small field tip like that….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Last year I bought a PSE Spyder Youth Bow from the Brandon Rolen Foundation Auction for my daughter but it is too much bow for her to pull back and she is not intrested in hunting only target shooting. If anyone has a Mathews Genesis that they are not useing I would be willing to make a trade.
    Right-handed / camoflauged
    Draw – 23-28″
    Weight – 40-50#

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.