Hand held release

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have noticed this year on some of the deer hunting shows that some of the guys are using a hand held release. In other words no wrist strap they just clip the release to the bow string. Anyone using one of these? What do you like or dislike about them? The one disadvantage I could see is if you dropped it while in your tree stand.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That or it’s in your pocket while eating your samiches…. when the big boy strolls by…. hope you practiced fingers

big G

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

One word: Sponsorships

Has to be the case. WHy else would you take the risk of dropping the thing or having to shoot with fingers?

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

My cousin uses on and loves it and has used them for years…as far as droppin it, you keep it attached to the string untill your ready to shoot and you grab it like a handle. I got one this year and gotta say it may join me in the stand this year. I keep it attached to the string untill I let the arrow fly then re attach it..It stays on well so no problems goin to and from the stand.. As far as why you are seein people usin them Im sure sponsership may be one reason the biggest for me is its made out of all metal, which equals no sent holding material. I have two of the wrist types for practice and hunting but you still sweat it up and I know it holds scent…For the guy who is set on being as sent free as pos., I think they are the way to go…Good luck, Jay

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

While wrist-strap-less releases are more popular for target archery…they do just fine for hunting also. I shot a Fletcher T handle thumb release for several years for both. It killed a lot of critters and a few bullseyes too!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Steve: I’m using one and like it. Never liked the strap around my wrist. Stays attached to the bow string when hanging in the tree. You are welcome to give it a try if you want.

les_welch

Quote:

One word: Sponsorships

Has to be the case. WHy else would you take the risk of dropping the thing or having to shoot with fingers?

I would say it has almost nothing do with sponsorships, because there are few release manufacturers out there that make a hand held, who don’t make a strapped model. (Was going to say strap on, but who knows where that would have went

One of the bigger reasons they are used is target panic. Lots of hand held releases are back tension, which is one of the big cures for target panic. Once you use one, they are very nice to use. You can attach a small wrist rope around them, if you are afraid you may drop it or not have it handy. All I have used for the last 3 years is the handheld versions. Although in my case, backpack, truck, and pants pocket, I do have strapped version backups!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.