Carbon Express Maxima Arrows

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Does anyone know of anybody that carries these arrows in the 150’s???? Everyone sells the 250 & 350’s but the Misses needs 150’s.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

BWHX130150SB Carbon Express 1/2 Dz. Maxima 150 Shafts. Price
    Carbon Express 1/2 Dz. Maxima 150 Shafts.

Grs./Inch: 6.3, Diameter: 0.284″.

NEW BuffTuff™ Plus Crossweave – Features an outer weave which creates unmatched strength and durability without adding weight.

Straighter, flatter and more consistent arrow flight.
    360° spine consistency.
    Versatile – A top choice for any style of shooting.
    Faster recovery out of the bow.
    Next generation look and feel.
    All internal components.
    1: $54.99

Bowhunterssuperstore.com

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Rob if you like I can check with Archery Headquarters tomorrow.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

I can get them wholesale for you. call me

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Wow 6.3 gr/in that’s REALLLLLY LIGHT Just out of curiosity, how come you are going so light?? you check the CE chart??

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I second that, seems really light. I have some 250’s at home if you’d like to try em out.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how come you are going so light?? you check the CE chart??

They are for the Misses. She’s only up to 45 lbs, but working her way towards 47-48.

Thanks BP

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Any idea how many FPS she’s getting from that bow? 150’s seem way to lite to generate enough KE.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

No Ben, I do not. I just went through the works sheet on Carbon Expresses website for a hunting arrow selection. The 150’s is what I ended up with.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Has she used the 150’s on deer before?? I know that you posted a pic of a nice buck she shot a few years ago, did she use those arrows to take him down? IMO, it just seems like 6.3 gr/in wouldn’t have the spine to hold up on a marginal shot, like a shoulder shot I would make sure that she uses a fixed blade head

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Anyone have any suggestions for her arrow then?

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Take her to the bow shop and have shoot through a chrono to figure out arrow speed. Then use this:

Formula for kinetic energy: (Total arrow grain weight) divided by (450,435) multiplied by (speed of bow) X (speed of bow).

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ben would the CARBON EXPRESS chart not be right?

PS I just saw your Canada hunt last year on Primetime the other day! Nice job!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I would think it would be correct. My thoughts are that you may be able to generate more KE with a heavier shaft.

I appreciate your comment on the hunt for HS. We were in a beautiful area which made my job a lot easier. I have 2 more hunts being televised in the upcoming weeks on another network. Direct TV MAN channel, the show is On the Right Track. There’s a archery elk hunt and the following week is a muzzleloader mule deer hunt. Airs Thursday nights during the Mathews block if you want to check it out.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

So Ben when Rob said that he saw your Canada hunt does that mean you were on the other end of the camera and got to hunt? Can you only get those shows with Direct TV or are they avalable on cable also? I would love to see them!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Lip, i will find the right arrow she should shoot according to her weight and draw length. In case i missed it if you said it before, what are they again?? Ill check the next time im at the archery shop

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Steve,
    The hunt Lip is talking about I was behind the camera. Mitch Hagen is the hunter. I’m assuming he seen it on PrimeTime 12 DVD, I don’t think that episode has aired on HS Outdoors yet, but will sometime this year.
    The other hunts I mentioned for On the Right Track can only be seen on Direct TV on the MAN channel 608.(maximum adventure network)

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

PT

She has a 24″ draw and Pulls 47 lbs behind a Mathews DXT. I’m looking to get her a Carbon Express Arrow and the CE chart tells me Maxima 150’s. However I’m jus tlooking for the best arrow for her to shoot.

Steve, Ben is right, I’m talking about his hunt with Mitch Hagen. I saw it on Hunter Specialties Prime Time 12. I have been buying that series since #9 and I think it is one of the better videos out there.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Lip,

IMHO i think that 6.3 gr/in is not effective enough because i just don’t think that the arrow would penetrate enough if she is shooting mechanicals or if it is a marginal shot. I think that she should switch to Beman. The chart says the model is “flash” and it didn’t say on the chart what the actual make is but if you look at the chart, she would be shooting a 7.0 gr/in arrow. I personally think that someone shouldn’t shoot an arrow that is less than like 7.3 gr/in but some people have no choice. All arrow companies are different and that is just my .02

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ok in doing the mathematics backward in order to get the suggested minimum of 45 ft – lbs of KE. I came up with a velocity of 265 fps needed to create that minumum KE, using the Carbon Express Maxima 150’s and her set up. Now I just need to go to Sportsman’s Warehouse and Chrono her arrows.

Thanks for the help guys!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

If she’s pulling 45lbs I don’t think she’ll reach 265 fps with either arrow. 265 is pretty quick.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ben, that is what I found out last night. After doing a ton of research on this issue I have come to the following conclusion. With today’s bows, it really does not matter what arrow you shoot heavy, light or in between as they all give you fairly about the same KE. The heavier ones shoot slower and the lighter ones shoot faster. That relationship is pretty much equal. What you lose in one, you gain back in the other. The biggest determining factor in KE is the bow itself and the poundage of your draw. With that being said the best arrow to choose is the one that you shoot the best out of your bow and has the right spine for your bow. For most of us we generate enough KE with today’s bows that as long as we shoot the arrow manufacturers suggested spine arrow, will be ok.

With all the talk about KE, poundage and arrow speed. The biggest thing to be concerned with is shot placement. I see many guys struggle to just get their bows drawn back on the range, but brag about shooting 70 lbs. I also see their accuracy suffer because of this. My suggestion is when practicing sometimes, draw your bow back and if you can’t hold it back for at least 20-30 seconds and still shoot accurately consistently. You are probably shooting to high of poundage. Many times in the deer woods after drawing our bow on a deer, we have to wait @ full draw for various reasons.

I have harvested some nice bucks and mature does in my short hunting career. I can also easily pull back 70 lbs, but my hunting set up is 61 lbs for the reasons stated above.

Good luck this Fall and may your arrow find the one you are dreaming of!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

This is the first year i turned my bow back..i was at 71 lbs. and I now draw back a weight of 62 lbs. My Speed is 261 fps with a broadhead…i guess my quiestion is this..I currently shoot beman 400’s…If I drop to I believe is there 340? What would a guy loose and /or gain…I assume i would loose KE and gain speed but curious i guess…
    My main reason for this is last year I had a VERY nice buck come in on me last Novemeber right before Muzzleloade. It was pretty cold out and when I went to go to full draw twice I did not get it back to full draw…a combination of being on stand since morning and it was 4 in the afternoon and buck fever had a lot to do with that issue…I came to the conclusion the more the weight the bigger the man conclusion was dumb and i lost a total of 6 FPS

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good decision Erick. Yes pulling back on the Range for 10 seconds and shooting is easy in the Summer with nothing but a T-shirt on. Now try it as you know Erick after sitting in stand on a cold day with a bunch of clothes on after sitting still and you haven’t moved a muscle in hours. Then try to draw back and hold it for 15 seconds. That is a lot tougher then most think.

Erick after my research and personal findings here is what I found for your situation. If you got to a lighter arrow your KE will stay relatively about the same. KE is mainly a factor of 2 things Speed & Weight. Speed of the arrow and weight of the entire arrow assembly. If you got to a lighter arrow you will gain arrow speed but lose arrow weight. In this KE formula these two factors are pretty much directly related. If one goes up the other goes down and vice versa. KE for the most part stays the same in my findings and articles I have read. As long as you stay in the Spine the arrow manufacturer recommends you should be fine. With that being said a lighter faster arrow will also be more forgiving when estimating distances then a heavier one. The lighter, faster arrow will shoot flatter thus making a 5 yard miscalculation in yardage less critical then a heavy arrow. Or in Hunting terms; instead of missing a deer with a 5 yard miscalculation with a heavy arrow out @ 30 yards. The lighter & faster arrow has a chance of still finding it mark good enough. Which could be good and bad as a wounded animal is no good either. Again, for MOST people that are 26″ draw or above and pulling at least 55lbs just find a good arrow in the manufacturers recommended spine and shoots good out of your bow. The key to good penetration comes down to shot placement in the end. That comes from A LOT of practice and good shot selection.

Just my $.02

Below is a article that I found in my research that hopefully help explain things and clear things up as it did for me.

Quote:

Bowhunting – Kinetic Energy is King

By Jeff Smith

August 2002

How fast does my bow need to shoot to harvest a deer? That’s a question I’ve heard many times at hunting camps, pro shops and just about anywhere hunters congregate. There’s a lot of factors that deal with an arrows ability to cleanly harvest a deer, however the standard in today’s world of bowhunting is Kinetic Energy, KE. KE is a factor of the velocity and weight of the arrow and is the baseline for harvesting an animal. You might say, “Kinetic Energy is King”.

A decade ago, bowhunters struggled to achieve the correct balance between arrow speed and weight. It seemed if an arrow was light enough to shoot “flat”, it just didn’t have the weight behind it for deep penetration. A heavy arrow would penetrate better, however the resulting arrow flight was such that a 5-yard miscalculation in distance could result in a miss or worse; bad arrow placement in the animal. With today’s high tech bows, finding the correct arrow balance is not nearly as difficult and the KE values are much higher than just a few years ago.

Calculating Kinetic Energy:

Kinetic Energy is a factor of two variables – velocity and weight. KE can be measured for any object that contains mass, however it would only make sense that the object be in motion. While in college obtaining a degree in physics, energy transformation was one of my focal points and an intriguing area of study.

The arrow velocity can be determined by measuring the arrow speed. Most pro shops have a chronograph to determine arrow speed or you can purchases one for around $100.00. I purchased one and it works well for rifles, pistols and archery equipment.

The arrow weight is the overall weight of the arrow ready to shoot. Once again, pro shops should have a scale to use or you can purchase one. I have an RCBS digital scale that I use for reloading rifle and pistol rounds. You can also call the arrow manufacture and they can give you the approximate arrow weight based off of the arrow components.

Kinetic Energy Formula:

KE = (weight / 450240) x (velocity x velocity)

Examples:

My compound bow shoots a 460gr arrow at 270 ft/sec

KE = (460gr/450240) x (270 x 270)

KE = 0.001021677 x 72900

KE = 74.48 ft/lbs

My recurve shoots a 530gr arrow at 200 ft/sec

KE = (530gr/450240) x (200 x 200)

KE = 0.001177149 x 40000

KE = 47.08 ft/lbs

Note: You will need to carry the weight calculation out to several decimal places. This calculation converts the arrow weight from grains to pounds. The arrow weight is the overall arrow weight ready to shoot including the broadhead.

How much KE is needed:

According to arrow and broadhead manufactures, a minimum of 45 ft/lbs of KE for whitetail deer and 55 ft/lbs of KE for larger game. For the last seven bow seasons, I’ve shot a bow producing 62 ft/lbs of KE. In my opinion that was plenty of kinetic energy. I shot several dozen deer at that KE range and it did an outstanding job. On a compound bow, I’d recommend a minimum of 55 ft/lbs of KE, but would strive for 60 ft/lbs. I shot several deer in the late 1980’s with a plastic wheel compound shooting a 514gr arrow at 220 ft/sec. This setup equates to 55 ft/lbs of KE. I could see the arrow fly through the arrow with a large arc from 30 yards, however that big heavy arrow would shoot through a deer like a knife through butter. I feel you can get away with less KE with a heavier arrow. Had you rather get hit with a ping-pong ball traveling 60 ft/sec or a golf ball at 30 ft/sec? I’d take the ping-pong ball – It’s the same concept.

Kinetic energy is in some ways the same and some very different when comparing a bow to a firearm. A firearm delivers hydro shock through projectile velocity and kinetic energy. When you skin a big game animal that has been shot with a rifle, you’ll find a large area of hydro shock damage just under the hide. The massive force of the projectile hitting the animal causes the blood vessels to rupture and in turn delivers a jolting blow to the objective. The perfect amount of rifle penetration is just enough to shoot through the opposite side of the animal and fall to the ground. This provides two important events; almost all the KE is delivered to the animal and you have two holes to provide blood flow for tracking. I had some major issues with a 7mm Remington Magnum round several years ago. The weapon produced a very high velocity rate while firing a slow expansion bullet. I shot a dozen or so deer with that bullet and the animal would run for a hundred or so yards after the shot. The exit hole was not much larger than the entry hole; it was almost like shooting the animal with a full metal jacket. I was able to recover the animals, however I prefer the objective to fall on contact with the projectile. I switched to a different style of bullet and alleviated the problem. The KE produced by a bow works much differently. An arrow doesn’t provide near the amount of hydro shock as a bullet. If you skin a bow shot deer and find a large blue area of hydro shock the size of a volleyball, let me know because I want to shoot that same setup. An arrow strike kills through hemorrhaging of the animal as the broadhead cuts through the animal severing blood vessels. Would an arrow that shoots completely through the animal and sticks in the ground 6 inches on the opposite side harvest the animal better than an arrow that shoots through the animal and falls to the ground on the opposite side? No. I like to have as much KE as possible within the parameters I decide upon for arrow characteristics. The increased KE can help out on shots that strike bone or heavy hide on larger game animals such as bear, moose and caribou.

Arrow Speed:

With today’s compound bows, high arrow velocity can be attained at a reasonable draw weight. In the old days, only a few bows would shoot over 260 ft/sec and to achieve these speeds required 75+ lbs. of draw weight.

Higher Arrow Velocity Characteristics:

Have a flatter trajectory resulting in less critical yardage estimation

Tend to make more noise coming off the bow

Can be harder to tune

Is normally less forgiving on shooting form mistakes

Arrow Weight:

Arrow weight is very important in a hunting situation. International Bowhunting Organization, IBO, rates bow speeds at 5 grains per pound of draw weight. In my opinion, five grains per pound in not nearly enough for a good hunting arrow. Most experts agree that 400 to 425 grains is the minimum arrow weight for hunting.

Arrow Speed vs. Weight:

Kinetic energy is a factor of two variables, velocity and weight. If all other factors stay constant, a decrease in one of the two variables should result in an increase of the other. When dealing with KE, velocity and weight are inversely proportional. What I’ve found through testing, KE is directly related to the bow characteristics. For example, if I set my bow on 70 lbs at 31” draw; I produce relatively the same amount of KE with a light arrow, heavy arrow or any where in between. This makes sense as KE is a measure of force and the arrow doesn’t produce the force, as the bow is the mechanism used to produce the force.

I received a very good tip this year from a PSE sponsored shooter. With today’s flat shooting bows, shoot the arrow that groups the best with broadheads and don’t let arrow weight be the only determining factor. I’ll remember this statement for a long time.

Draw weight is one of the biggest problems I see with today’s hunters. I see hunters shooting bows that they can barely draw in “summer” clothes on a bow range. If you get one thing out of the article it should be “Arrow placement is much more important that arrow speed”. Shoot the draw weight that you are very comfortable shooting. Ted Nugent, Spirit of the Wild TV host, shoots full-length arrows at 55 lbs draw weight. I’ve watched him shoot many animals with almost all complete pass through shots. Shoot what your comfortable with, your buddies will be more impressed with your tight groups than you pulling some huge draw weight.

Key Notes:

Shoot the arrow that flies the best with your broadhead setup

Practice with broadheads and not just field points

Practice from an elevated stand – 10 feet high is better than ground level

Shoot a comfortable draw weight

I tend to lean toward a heavier arrow – at least 425 grains

Practice at least some in full hunting gear

Practice in low light situations

Make up games that will keep the shooting fun – shoot 2 arrows from 20, 30, 40, … out to the range you are comfortable with

Practice a lot from long range – when you move in close it seems like a chip shot

Practice drawing the bow as smooth and free of motion as possible

Get some place quiet and draw listening for any noise from the bow – get another person to listen as well

Really work on shooting good form – bad form hurts more with broadheads and from long range

Number your practice arrows and take out the ones that shoot the best to use for hunting

Shoot on windy days to see how it affects your arrow flight

Don’t be tweaking with your bow all the time – get it setup and leave it that way

There’s no substitute for practice

In Conclusion:

Practice often to get your bow set up correctly and to build confidence that you hit what you shoot at. A lot of things in life that come down to success and failure deal with confidence, if you believe you can … normally you will. To me, it’s a great feeling to be at full draw with the sight buried in the good stuff. Just knowing that the hard part is over and the deer’s chances are next to nothing. All hunters owe it to the game to be as prepared as possible to humanely harvest the animal. Get prepared and confident!

Have a safe hunting season.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I just scaled the poundage on my bow and its 62 also and thats enough for me through hunting season, my bow will go to 70. I just bought some heavier arrows tonight to practice with and shoot this season because I want the kenetic energy incase I hit bone squarely. Im shooting 265 also, faster with lighter arrows dosent neccesarily mean a good kill shot when an arrow hits bone.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I used to shoot Beman Black Max with HIT inserts. They no longer make Black Max’s anymore but instead, Realtree put their name on it so that is the new Black Max I was shooting the 400 which are 9.6 gr/in and now im shooting 500’s which are 8.7 gr/in. I had to move my poundage down to about 60-62 pounds in order to meet the arrow chart. I just bought the new G5 Quest and i am proud to say that it is the best bow i have shot IMO!! With the new arrows and blazers, my arrows shoot pretty much flat from 35 yards and have a heavy enough arrow for bone breakage with a Snyper on it

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.