Neighbor that wants to hunt.

• bennyj
    sunrise mn

I have recently bought a house with a little acreage.

I have a whole family that hunts and most of them shoot riffles . I have a brother that shoots bow and a brother inlaw that shoots as well. I have a few cousins that shoot too.

Now I have a neighbor that has introduced himself. Seems to be a nice guy from what I can tell. We are shooting the stuff and talking about hunting. I can tell he is buttering up. (gonna ask me to hunt one of these days)

Now I have never been a land owner till now. My question is how do other people do it. Like how do they work out haveing another hunter on there land. Do they get last choice in a stand? Do you have a spot they call there “own” for the year?

I am just wondering how other land owners work this out? I am just wondering options or how other people do it?

I have an idea in my head on how I am gonna do it but I am just wondering how other people do it.

OR if you have/do hunt somebody elses land how do they work it?

I have hunted on my buddies property and he always lets me pick my spot and then on down the line. (but there isn’t a bad stand on his property)

Any thoughts are great

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

From the sounds of it you really don’t want him to hunt there? I don’t think he would be offended if you said sorry, but I already have some family that bowhunt and rifle hunt and they’ve asked me and I’ve said yes. But, if they decide they don’t want to hunt it I will surely let you know. Or, you could preface it in your next conversation that your family is going to hunt out there this fall. He’s less likely to even bring it up if you beat him to the punch.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Just curious….how much land did you purchase?

bennyj
    sunrise mn

just under 30 acres

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would guess maybe your neighbor and yourself might become good friends. I too had a place with a little acreage (20) and it was a prime hunting location. Anyways, one thing to remember, your family comes by when it’s hunting season usually, then go about their lives back in their neighborhood. Your neighbor, might become a guy you really like and shares his stuff with you (Bobcat, chainsaw, trailer etc etc etc) I had just such a neighbor where I was and I was miles ahead letting him sit a couple of times a year, than I was with letting family sit….. Every situation is different. He put up a permanent stand and he always let me know when he would be going out, either with a message or in person. It worked great for me, one year I took a nice Doe out of his stand

big G

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

G, calls it free scouting!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yup, that too !!!

big G

gobbler
    Central, MN

i have the privilege to hunt on a friend’s piece of property….. however he is not a hunter. He really appreciates it that i’m the hunter on his property and can keep an eye on it for him.
    I do let friend’s hunt w/ me from time to time on the property every year (usually about 4 or 5 times). I personally feel every situation is different and i wouldn’t allow them to hunt on the property unless i was there. This way i know what happened right-a-way after the hunt and don’t have to wonder if there is anything i wouldn’t approve of happening. Good Luck!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.