Archery bear hunting

• bobg3723
    Crystal, MN

I am looking for a great outfitter here in the midwest for bear hunting. I want an outfitter that will be able to help a first time bear hunter. I have been hunting for many years but only whitetails. Now I would like to take a shot at a bear. Does anyone have any ideas?

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Did you get a tag this year? if so what zone, i might be able to help you out since im the only one hunting this year

bobg3723
    Crystal, MN

I didn’t put in for it this year. My plan is to learn as much as I can this year and then go out next year.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Well if you can find a copy, which is almost impossible, look for a book called, Do-it-yourself bear hunting by Dr. Ken nordberg. If you have any questions ask, I am no expert by anymeans but can point you in the right direction to atleast get your setup right

bobg3723
    Crystal, MN

Thank you. I have been wanting to get into bear hunting for a while and I have decided that I just can’t wait any longer. I hope to go next year. But I want to make sure that I some what know what I am doing. I would like to go to a outfitter that can show me the ropes. Or if I could find someone that knows alot about it, just sit down with them and learn as much as I can.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

You can PM me any questions you have, ill take a ton of pictures this year when i set mine up and do a write up on here for the board so you and others can get a general idea on how to set them up.

bobg3723
    Crystal, MN

I was talking to one outfitter and he told me that if I want to hunt in WI, I need to put in for 5-7 years before I will get picked. Is that true? Would it be easier to go to Canada?

lick

not sure depends on zone but at least 4 years ive heard

bobg3723
    Crystal, MN

Do you think that it would be easier to go to Canada and find an outfitter up there or should I try and go around here? I would like to be able to go next year and I think I want to go with a outfitter, that way I have help. I want to make sure I dont do anything to the meat or the hide that would hurt it.

lick

canada is a good idea but can be a pain crossing the border

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Do you think that it would be easier to go to Canada and find an outfitter up there or should I try and go around here? I would like to be able to go next year and I think I want to go with a outfitter, that way I have help. I want to make sure I dont do anything to the meat or the hide that would hurt it.

Canada is expensive, gas will more then likely be 5 dollars a gallon by then, and most outfitters are around 1500+ for the hunting, then you have to tip your guide, and cooks. If you can afford it, by all means go.

Yes WI is almost impossible to get into, i know a guy who is on a 9 year run now, still no tag.

As far as damaging your hide and meat, if you dont feel comfortable doing it, find out before your hunt and there are plenty of guys/butchers up north that will do it for a cost. We used to take them to the butcher cuz no one knew how, well we tried one night and its not hard to do, just need to have the freezer space to cool the meat down asap.

I think half the fun is setting up the bait stations/getting bait/ and picking your location.

robhood23

I would say Canada if you have the funds and would maybe look at a spring hunt as well. I say Canada becouse your chances of shooting a color phase or larger bear are much greater than mn or wi. I would talk to some outfitters up there and try to time the rut. Good luck and keep us posted!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Contact Tom Gursky here on the site, you’ll see his name in the archery and fishing report forums. Tom said theres a 3 year waiting list but he sees and puts his clients on bears every year. He lives In Iron Mountain Michigan in the U.P

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thanks Dan!

The U.P. has a very large bear population and many P&Y taken. A first period hunt takes about 5 PPoints but only 2-3 for a second and third hunts can be had nearly every time.

I take four Bear hunters per year and have 100% success on shot opportunities for the past eight years.

If you draw a tag (third hunt) you can hunt next year(2009)

I have personally taken 15 Black Bear with a bow so far… It is a GREAT sport with the bow!

PS…The U.P. is only a few hours from NE Minnesota…I am in the central UP and 5.5hrs from St. Paul.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Tom sounds like he has the best opportunity for ya.

WI was taking some time to get a tag, but the WI Bear Hunters Association has opened the WDNR’s eyes to some degree regarding the bear population, so those time frames could be coming down. You can actually reduce your wait in WI by choosing the right zone of the four available also.

If you have any other questions about a WI hunt, pm me, but I think that your best bet really is to engage in conversation with Mr. Gursky!!! A last thought though, perhaps you could start applying in WI&MI and then hunt with Tom. If you have access to an area to hunt over here perhaps you can do a DIY hunt on public land in WI following your experience with Tom…

Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.