App for wind

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Heading to the big pond on Saturday. Wondering what app people use for wind. Most of the weather apps I’ve seen/used either don’t show wind measurements or its difficult to find the information

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The big pond or the BIG POND?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I use Accuweather & CBS Mn and both show wind & direction for every hour.

MX1825

I use windfinder.

FinnyDinDin

Windy app. Super cool app. Great for hunting if precise wind direction is needed such as for deer and duck hunting. Go to the map view for that.

FinickyFish

I like the Google weather app on Android (some call it Frog Weather) as it gives hourly wind forecasts. MyRadar gives good current wind visuals but there are ads.

Greg D

Ventusky app is quite interactive.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I use a bunch of different sources if I need an accurate wind forecast.

If time fishing the big pond, I usually just stick with the Windy app. Anyone who uses this app need to be aware of the different weather models this app uses. You can change the weather model from ECMWF to GFS, NAM and others. It’s helpful to understand the tendencies of each model because they will very likely give you different forecasts.

If I’m fishing the BIG POND, I use the Wind Alert app first. This one also has the option of choosing the different weather models but it also has an option to blend them which is what I prefer.

On top of the Wind Alert app I will use the Windy app because it also gives wave forecasts and is very convenient because it shows the wind forecast on the map. I will also occasionally use the NOAA marine forecasts in addition to Windy and Wind Alert.

If instant to see what the current wind is I use MyRadarPro app. It opens fast and gives you a good idea of what the current winds and directions are.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The big pond or the BIG POND?

How many big ponds are there? I assume when someone says “big pond” they mean Lake Superior.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve never seen him post about fishing Superior so that’s why I asked.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i guess ive only heard of people call mille lacs the big pond. aint never heard of superior called the big pond though it makes sense.

Thanks for all the options. ill play around with them

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I use windfinder.

X2 only one I have found to be accurate yes it’s not free but it works

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Wind finder, I like the wind graphs

CaptainMusky

Thanks for all the options. ill play around with them

Good luck and let us know how you do! Walleyes? Smallies? Or whatever bites?

zooks

Windy for me. I also like that it has the Euro forecast model (ECMWF), not many apps do and I find it more accurate than GFS or other NOAA versions.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Wind Alert is the most accurate I’ve found for Mille lacs.
    You can view it through mnlakecams.com too.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I fish Mille Lacs quite a bit. Most of us that live here have found common sense is the best app.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.