Anyone use cross snaps on their jigs?

• Beast

Seen 2 video’s now where they were using cross snaps instead of tying direct, I always tied direct myself.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I always tied direct but I noticed TB was using a snap clip. I guess makes it easy to switch baits or jig weights so I don’t know what down side would be. Interested in others opinions.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I pretty much only use clips now unless I’m using mono. Makes changing things up so much easier.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I started using cross snaps when fishing the Mississippi River a few years ago and have ever since when fishing the river.
    I fished with an older river rat who used the snaps and he caught as many fish or more than me so I decided to use them.
    I haven’t noticed any drop off in catching fish and as noted it sure makes switching jigs easier…especially on cold days on the river in spring and fall.

Brad Dimond

I’ll use cross snaps on heavier jigs, 1/4 ounce or so. Still tie direct for smaller jigs.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Snaps on the river for me. I’ll sometimes change jig weights two or three times on a single dam as I work it from shore to tip. It came down to having 5 rods in the boat, constantly re-tying, or a package of 25-cent snaps.

j

gregory
    Red wing,mn

anyone using the fas-snap? they claim it will float with a fly? they dont actually snap together,same clip a stinger hook would clip on with.

Graham Redshaw

anyone using the fas-snap? they claim it will float with a fly? they dont actually snap together,same clip a stinger hook would clip on with.

I’ve used them, they work great. they are a pain to take jigs off of though, most of the time I use forceps to pull the clip off of the jig. For anything a 1/4 oz or bigger use a cross snap.

ThunderLund78

You’ll get a few less bite-offs from pike. I use them while casting smaller cranks for bass. I’ve found no impact to lure action, etc. Perhaps a suspending lure may slowly dip its head on the pause, in some cases. When a pike grabs it, the teeth are usually not above the swivel unless he really inhales it. Would help with jigs, too, I bet. Some say it doesn’t look natural but neither does a Chartreuse lead ball in front of a minnow or leech. It’s just “pretty.”

Deuces

When I get older and the eyesight goes, and the fingers aren’t as nimble ya bet your butt I’ll be utilizing them.

At this point I’d also bet I’m just as fast tying untying as some snapping unsnapping. I’ll stick with tying straight, something is quite satisfying about watching that knot pinch tight. peace

Walleyeguy34

What kind of knot have you guys found that works best to keep a jig hanging horizontally?

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

When I get older and the eyesight goes, and the fingers aren’t as nimble ya bet your butt I’ll be utilizing them.

That’s it, Nick….just rub it in. ???

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I tie direct. I was fishing with a friend in Canada, he was using snaps and when he snagged a rock he lost more jigs than I did. Maybe cheap snaps, not sure but I always have tied direct unless in the winter I use the speed snaps with no clip.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I tie direct. I can tie a palomar knot pretty quick.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I tie direct. I was fishing with a friend in Canada, he was using snaps and when he snagged a rock he lost more jigs than I did. Maybe cheap snaps, not sure but I always have tied direct unless in the winter I use the speed snaps with no clip.

In Canada… I use a snap on a leader for the jig ! Too many sawed off !

deertracker

I use these ice fishing with my small panfish jigs. I like them a lot.
    DT

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gregory wrote:</div>

I use these ice fishing with my small panfish jigs. I like them a lot.
    DT

DT you should try them with jigging spoons they work well there also.

They are small enough so maybe you could float a fly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.