Anyone see any nets on the lake

• mojogunter

I was thinking about going out tomorrow night at midnight. Would be nice if I don’t run over any nets. Anyone see any go in?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I was just there last weekend and there was no evidence of such, but then there was ice most everywhere except for the bays and parts of the east side.

As some of of us know, most the ice went out yesterday or last night. And not wasting even the slimmest window of opportunity, the “harvest” was in practice as the sun came up today.

Here is documentation from a resident witnessed today. So yea, someone at least saw them coming out. Take it for what it’s worth…

Attachments:
    1. Netting-2018.jpg

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

if you have facebook, check out the fishing Minnesota’s page Steve Fellegy posted pictures this morning of harvest taking place. If I remember correctly I think he figured there was over 3000ft of nets in the water plump full of the 2013 year class. He also stated that a few of the participants had a few choice words for him as he witnessed them taking care of their catch.

But like in years past, probably be a safe bet that they will all be packed up and gone before you get to the lake, they do not want the confrontation with anglers at the landings.

gonefishin

There out with flood lights in Sunset Bay and the public access is full at 10:30 PM.

TMF89

Saw an argument on a resort’s Facebook page today, sport anglers were being accused of being selfish, because they don’t give the fish to other people, they’re just a bunch of “takers!” Somebody should remind them sport anglers haven’t been “takers” in a couple years now, and most of what we catch gets released…

Paul Berger

Sorry guys, but they’ve been hauling out of the cut foot Since last Friday when the ice went out. 3 to 4 boats at a time morning through evening. Right next to the ice edge in the pass. The pass is Lake Winnie. Rumor has it they sell to a local shop in Grand Rapids that is advertising fresh fish. Right on HWY 2. Lake Mille Lacs barely gets touched compared to the leech and Winnie area. Good luck this opener and fish next to the nets! That’s where they’re at…

Paul Berger

One last quote from me. I’m okay with subsistence harvesting in our area. I’m not okay with “for profit”.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

This is the 21st century. To me “subsistence” = grocery store or garden.

Kyhl
    Savage

I’m actually ok with someone taking a bite out of the 2013 year class before they become such a huge biomass that eat the lake back into another crash.

I’m not ok with only one protected class of citizens able to do so.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I’m okay with subsistence harvesting in our area. I’m not okay with “for profit”.

This is the same way I feel. They should not be allowed to sell it at all.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Join the 21st century and pick up a rod a reel like the rest of us.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

There out with flood lights in Sunset Bay and the public access is full at 10:30 PM.

I’m sure they are out there but don’t assume all those boats were netters. The DNR was out there too surveying the lake. They had quit a few boats out with spot lights.

Smackem33

The dnr should be monitoring there catches not wasting time doing pointless surveys

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The dnr should be monitoring there catches not wasting time doing pointless surveys

…maybe they were

mojogunter

I thought I read that the natives are self regulated. The DNR has nothing to do with watching their netting. Maybe someone in the know can chime in.

blackbay
    mn

Why are surveys pointless?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I thought I read that the natives are self regulated. The DNR has nothing to do with watching their netting. Maybe someone in the know can chime in.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Smackem33 wrote:</div>

Correct Mr. Mojo, there is and never has been MN DNR monitoring much less even watching from a distance out of curiosity.

All tribal harvest has been “entrusted” to GLIFWC. They then recruit an assortment of Tribal DNR representatives from various jurisdictions based on who’s available to “oversee” the netting operation. Supposedly they record each fish…weight/length and specie.

There was a video of tribal netting operations and “supervision” where a young tribal DNR officer that was recruited from a Wisconsin tribal DNR was more or less clueless about what he was supposed to be doing, or what he was to be watching out for.

This was back in 2016. I did empathize with the poor young fellow, he was out in a tough spot…I think.

Here it is…

gonefishin

Does anybody know the requirements for attending nets? There is a net that has not been pulled or had fish removed since at least Thursday. Also have not seen any natives around the access. A lot of floating belly up walleyes and new ones still being caught in the net. Appears to be an abandoned/left behind net. Still has buoys on each end.

Does anyone know how to get the Mille Lacs CO’s phone numbers? A search of the web turns up nothing but turn in poachers.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Is this a big problem running over nets for anglers. jester
    Don’t you know a wedding just happened that will affect us all. jester doah

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Does anyone know how to get the Mille Lacs CO’s phone numbers? A search of the web turns up nothing but turn in poachers.

I don’t have the number but call the DNR Office in Aitken .

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Does anybody know the requirements for attending nets? There is a net that has not been pulled or had fish removed since at least Thursday. Also have not seen any natives around the access. A lot of floating belly up walleyes and new ones still being caught in the net. Appears to be an abandoned/left behind net. Still has buoys on each end.

PM sent

gonefishin

Hi Will, that number is not longer for the CO. I called the State Patrol who is supposed to contact CO and have CO call me. I did this at 8 this AM and no response yet.

Attached are a couple of pictures. One live walleye and 100 or more dead ones. Some are so badly decomposed that the guts and eyes are missing. When I first came upon the net Thursday AM there were already a bunch of dead walleyes. So it is going on 4 days at least.

If this is a native net, I hope all you natives and supporter of netting are proud. This is not a lost net. In plain view with the yellow buoys set in 4′ water.

The one picture has numbers on the buoy. The only thing I could find that might represent a tag.

Attachments:
    1. 20180520_141232.gif

2. 20180520_141226.gif

3. 20180520_141225.gif

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

They should be fined and quota reduced for crap like that. Better yet ban netting altogether that is just sick.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

That’s sick. @engelmyr please keep us posted what you hear from the CO.

saugeye-steve

Send those picks to the local big 4 networks.
    4,5,9 and 11

OK I will.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

This is disturbing to say the very least. What part of the lake did you find this?

Frankly, I’m surprised that it hasn’t been found before or that some DNR agency wasn’t on that immediately.

I would think if you came across it, there would have been others that found it too.

gonefishin

The MN DNR and Tribal DNR came and pulled the net. I was there and have pictures that will make your jaw drop of the waste. Instead of posting the pictures here, I will be seeking professional help in getting this out to the media, politicians, requests for comments from MN/Tribal DNR etc.

I kind of know how this works from DNR/Tribe as in 2013 or 2014 we hooked a net and informed the DNR who came and picked up the net. Hoping to bring this issue out into the open more this time around.

The abandoned net was in a very prominent fishing location for many boats to see. As mentioned I watched for 4 days before calling the DNR.

Ripjiggen

Please start a new thread with your story as I dont think it will get the attention it needs on this one. Just disgusting.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.