Anyone running a new Evinrude Etec?

• Ryan Hughes

Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying a new boat and I am looking into a new Evinrude E-tec to go along with it. The specific one in question is the 135 hp HO which is actually a 148 hp. The only reason I am considering this motor is because the boat I am buying is only rated for a 135 and this is the only one that I can find that is currently being made. I want to max out the hp as much as possible because I will be running it at 7300 ft. The standard motor options that are offered with the boat are the 90 hp and 115 hp four stroke Mercury’s. I do like the idea of no break in period and no maintenance for 3 years but was really hoping for a nice quiet no smoke motor. So my question is for those who are running a newer E-tec how are they? How much oil do they burn? Are they really as quiet as a four stroke as they claim? I’m sure being a two stroke they have more torque but is it noticeable? Any input on these motors would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve asked 2 Etec owners about their machines while meeting at docks, landings etc and I saw both motors run. There is no visible smoke from an Etec like from an old 2 stroke. From what the owners said, they have a constant adjustment of the oil ratio so at idle they can lean up to something like 200:1 and then under heavy load or acceleration they richen up the mixture.

I can’t say if they are quieter than a 4 stroke, but they are certainly quieter than my old 2 strokes and very quiet overall. They sound comparable to me, I’m sure someone has a DB rating on a test site somewhere. Did you look at BoatTest.com?

I’m with you, I like the simplicity of the maintenance and not having to faff around with oil, filter changes, etc. Gas and go sounds good to me. I know these engines had issues back in the day, but so did a lot of Gen 1 and 2 4 storkes. I guess most of the models in the lineup are Gen 3 or 4 of the Etec design, so like everything else it’s what you’re buying now that matters.

Grouse

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I run a 150 etec. No smoke or obnoxious 2 stroke fumes since day one using full synthetic. Not as quiet as my buddies 4 stroke Yamaha, but I wouldn’t say it’s loud either. I love the torque on this motor. My boat jumps out of the water. The oil is expensive (46 bucks a gallon) but you use very little of it after break-in.

mojogunter

Ran a 225 and now a 200 etec. No issues and really like the motor. 4 stroke is quieter at idle. Full throttle they are very similar. Same full consumption for my 225 Yamaha 4 stroke and the 225 etec. Etec was much quicker out of the hole. No smoke at all as others have said. Early ones had issues. They have them figured out now.

mojogunter

Ran a 225 and now a 200 etec. No issues and really like the motor. 4 stroke is quieter at idle. Full throttle they are very similar. Same fuel consumption for my 225 Yamaha 4 stroke and the 225 etec. Etec was much quicker out of the hole. No smoke at all as others have said. Early ones had issues. They have them figured out now.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have a 2014 135HO etec on my boat, which is rated for 135. I love the motor. It’s smooth and quiet and little/no smoke. It has a ton of low end torque and produces an awesome hole shot. Top end is good but not quite as fast as my buddy’s 135 optimax (which is no longer made) on the same model boat, and we’ve both tried a bunch of props. Along those lines, I was surprised how low I had to go on the prop pitch. And the motor really likes the BRP viper model prop. I run a 17p prop on my boat, which is a 681vs. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another etec.

DRH1175

Anyone run the 2 cylinder 60 hp How do they idle down for trolling?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Terrible motor for trolling. You will go through spark plugs like crazy. Maybe look at one of the brands that has a variable speed button so you can bump the rpms with a push of a button.

ted-merdan

I had a completely different experience with my 2010 150 Etec tiller – great motor for trolling, put over 900 hours on that engine and was thoroughly impressed with it.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I would get a merc 115hp ProXS. The same way you state “it’s actually 148” the proxs 115 is more like 125hp.

Can’t even hear it running over the water peeing out at idle. No smoke. Perfect for trolling.

To the guy up top that said no hassle of oil changes, all I can say is LOL. I get better fuel economy and don’t burn $200 in oil every year. Oil change takes a whopping 10 minutes, i do it the same time i do my lower unit every year. Those etecs have lower units just like everything else.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.