Anyone here still use spincast reels?

• Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

These are the only type of reels my dad will use. I tried buying him a nice spinning reel but he wasn’t able to make the switch although i dont think he gave it much of a try lol. Anywho he still catches a fair amount of fish with this setup. Are there any higher end reels that you guys recommend in the spincast? Also any recommendations for line? He’s been using the zebco 808 with I think 20lb. mono on it. I would like to get him something a bit nicer than what he has now. Thanks!!

Mickelson93
    Keokuk Iowa

Same story with my dad. He is a lifetime lover of the spincast. He can and has used other styles, but most comfortable with the spincast. Me = from a young age jumped ship and had not touched a spincast in about 35 years. Then a few years ago I bought my dad a Zebco Omega Pro 03 = he loved it. Soon after, he also bought the 02 model for lighter applications. After using his for a bit, I was quite impressed and also have added a couple to my arsenal. Partially for guest use, but also handy if you want a slow retrieve (lower ratio) without the discipline of a slower reel cadence.

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

I will have to check out these reels in store if they have them on hand. It doesnt look like there are too many options for the spincast these days. It was the same deal for me as well, started out on a spincast and it didnt take long before i switched to spinning. I bet almost everyone starts out with a spincast lol. Any recommendations for line?

404 ERROR
    MN

I thought spincast reels were reserved for Mickey Mouse poles? chased

hnd

i bought undespin cast reels for the kids so they could transition easier to spinning reels eventually.

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

Thats a good idea for the kids hnd i’ll have to keep that in mind for when my little guy gets older.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My wife’s rods are spincast. Zepco to the rescue.

robby
    Quad Cities

Zebco makes a spincast called the Omega I believe. It has ball bearings and a better than the norm (for spin cast) drag. Pflueger also makes something a step up from the norm.

404 ERROR
    MN

Zebco makes a spincast called the Omega I believe. It has ball bearings and a better than the norm (for spin cast) drag. Pflueger also makes something a step up from the norm.

The Omegas are the best Zebco’s made. IMO, the Pflueger Presidents are the top dog in Spincast reels. They also make them inverted, to sit like a spinning reel. I have one of the inverted ones that I use to teach new individuals and the drag on it is very impressive.

404 ERROR
    MN

Any recommendations for line?

Suffix Elite and Trilene Sensation are my two favorite monofilament lines made. 4lb for panfish, 6-8lb for Walleye and 10-14lb for Pike on up. I personally do not see a use for line as big as you mentioned (except for catfish), but I have seen it catch plenty of fish!

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

Thanks for the info guys! I’ll check these reels out in store hopefully soon here. Yeah i’d agree the 20lb is a bit overkill lol.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.